Radeon HD 6670 Temperatures and resolution

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Just wanted to check if the temperatures are ok and will they increase if I change my resolution to higher, also want to know what is VDDC in GPUZ??

My current resolution is 1360x768

Idle
Temp: avg 41C
VDDC: 0.900V

Watching Videos online/offline
Temp: avg 52C
VDDC: 0.90 / 1.10V fluctuates

Gaming:

Fifa 13 Demo:
Temp: avg 61C
VDDC: 1.10V

Crysis
Temp: avg 72C

Skyrim:
Temp: avg 70C

havent tested any other games yet so i want to know if I increase my resolution will games lag and will the temps also increase, right now I have a small LCD monitor and thinking of getting a bigger one LED.

Solution
Well atleast the fans are having some positive effects.

Get a monitoring program like CPU-Z or CoreTemp. When your computer is idle see if the CPU is downclocking and downvolting. Also do you run stock cooling? If you've never touched your CPU, you have stock cooler, and have never applied an after-market thermal paste; then I would recommend getting a quality paste and re-applying. There are guides all over on how to do it. The Intel stock solution is just enough to keep the CPU from overheating. The performance is shotty at best.
Get some more airflow in your case. Unless you have a passive heatsink version those temps are much higher than mine. Or you may have a higher ambient. Your temps aren't really a cause for concern though because they're still within a healthy range. However, my 6670 idles at 26C and after a 15min Furmark burn-in test hits 60C. When I play games I don't go over 50C.

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Wow those are some good temperatures... I dont have any extra fans or cooling system. Maybe you room temperature is much better, here the ambient temperature is about 30C. may that is the reason I have little higher temps?

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
ok checked yesterday, most of the games are at 100% load. So I think thats only what this card can pull off.

Anyway I tried using Catalyst overdrive to set the fan speed to higher level but the idle temp would not go below 40C and normal usage also remains around usual.

Normally the fan is at 39% default and Idle temp is 40C. When I turn up the fan to 70% still the the temp remains at 40C. Is the fan actually working? :/

Open the side of the computer case and see if the fans are working. Also when you change it from 30% to 70% you should probably hear it too because higher RPMs make more noise. Leave the side of your case open and run those same games and see if the temps get any better. Clean any dust in the computer out, you said before you had no case fans. When you are air cooling components like the GPU and CPU, they can only use the air that is inside the computer to cool themselves. So if it is 40C inside the computer you're going to have high temps. You need to get some cool air coming in, and more importantly you need an exhaust fan to get all the hot air out. What is the model of your computer case?

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
The problem is my case is small, the gfx card is right at the bottom of the case so cant see the fan spinning, also tried to record video by putting my phone in there but its too dark to record anything.

As for dust I think its not possible because I installed the card just few days back.

what case fan should be good for a small case...I have this one

http://intextechnologies.com/webpages/productcomperi.aspx?pro_name=Neptune%20%28NEW%29&category=Computer%20Peripherals&subcat=Cabinets&subcat1=Cabinet%20Standard

Oi, well it says you have a 3 inch slot in the back. I think that's a 80mm fan. Also on the side of the case there it looks like you have room for another 80mm fan. 80mm fans dont move a whole lot of air. But it is better than nothing. Check the back of the case and see if one is installed. Then I would recommend getting some quality 80mm fans. You want high RPMs and CFMs but low noise levels dBa. Shop around and see what you can find.

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Came here to update, installed 2 fans, one as intake on side and one as exhaust at back and the gpu temperatures have shown a decrease by 3-4 degrees however the cpu temp remains the same.

Seems like cpu temp gets stuck 41C it never goes below that even on complete idle. The gpu temp goes as below as 36C.

Well atleast the fans are having some positive effects.

Get a monitoring program like CPU-Z or CoreTemp. When your computer is idle see if the CPU is downclocking and downvolting. Also do you run stock cooling? If you've never touched your CPU, you have stock cooler, and have never applied an after-market thermal paste; then I would recommend getting a quality paste and re-applying. There are guides all over on how to do it. The Intel stock solution is just enough to keep the CPU from overheating. The performance is shotty at best.

Solution