Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is AMD GPU(s) Compatible With Intel Mobo/CPU?? PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 10:05:01 AM

I want to get an Intel P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT and two Radeon HD 7970 in "Crossfire" or multiple GPU usage...

(1 )Is that going to work? I'm making a video editing work station PC.

(2) But do I need two NVIDIA cards in "SLI" or multiple GPU usage instead? I like the HD 7970 for how powerful it is and NVIDIA GTX/Quadro equivalents are ridiculously $$$.

(3) Or is it the OS that's not compatible? I heard that windows doesn't support Crossfire just SLI?

I'm going for the Intel i7 3770k. (4) Does CPU/GPU/Mobo have to, or does it help to be, all be AMD or Intel/NVIDIA?

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. :sweat: 

Thank You.

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 10:18:58 AM

FRIDGE13 said:

(3) Or is it the OS that's not compatible? I heard that windows doesn't support Crossfire just SLI?

I'm going for the Intel i7 3770k. (4) Does CPU/GPU/Mobo have to, or does it help to be, all be AMD or Intel/NVIDIA?

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. :sweat: 

Thank You.

Intel is not the same company as Nvidia. There is no restrictions between mixing intel or AMD cpu's and GPU's. Windows supports both.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 10:23:47 AM

In answer to your questions,
1) Yes that will work (provided your psu is up to the task, you don't mention its specs so we can't say)
2) Sorry, don't know much about video editing so I'm unsure whether or not it benefits from sli or crossfire. But that mobo supports both nvidia and radeon as well as upto quad sli or quad crossfire.
3) You heard wrong. Crossfire works just fine in windows.
4) No, it doesn't have to be all one or the other. You can run an intel cpu quite happily with an amd gpu.
Good luck.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 10:48:43 AM

Best answer selected by FRIDGE13.
Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
September 17, 2012 12:06:46 PM

2: The AMD Radeon HD series and the Nvidia GTX are the mainstream graphics cards on the market, meant for gaming performance. The Nvidia Quadro and AMD Firepro are dedicated rendering cards, meant only for video rendering.

If you stick to the mainstream cards, the Nvidia cards are better since you can utilize CUDA to assist in video rendering. Though if applications you use benefit from OpenCL, AMD cards are better at that.

I am also not sure if having multiple GPU's will help in video rendering, I would assume so since its double the hardware. Might wanna check on the AMD/Nvidia websites.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 7:08:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!