Sign in with
Your question

System Freezes while Gaming on Palit GTX 580 3GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 10:13:22 AM

Hi.

I am experiencing this problem, this last 2-3 months. I dont know what to do. My System freezes and doesn't responsive to anything and there is a continuous buzzing sound coming out of the speaker. This happens in various ways.

1. When i start playing games the system freezes
2. When i start playing movies of format (almost all *.avi, *.mp4, *.mkv)
3. When I open my mozilla or Opera browser.
4. Some times at the startup of the windows when I click on some notification.

This problem must of Graphics card. I just cannot figure out, I have another graphics an old one XFX GT 8600, which doesnt give me any kind of problem. Please help out.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:10:55 PM

Ummm.....what power supply are you using?

What are the temps of the gpu when system freezes?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:31:12 PM

How have you distributed your memory sticks around the slots?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:37:11 PM

This does not sound like a GPU problem. This sounds more like a system stability issue. Give us the exact specs of your build, any overclocking, etc and we can go from there.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 1:16:14 PM

Yeah stability problem from a power supply that cannot cope.
m
l
September 17, 2012 1:47:19 PM

I have a Corsair GS 800 Power Supply. And for the GPU Temp are normal and hovers around 50 deg C. Hey come on man How can heating be a problem, It also happens when I just start the start after a break of around 8 hrs. And I dont do any overclocking. My Old graphics card draws almost same power as of GTX 580 around 248 W TDP and GTX has a TDP of 244 W and doesnt have any problem running old one.

Previously there was a problem that Nvidia Driver that used to crashes every onw and then for the same reason given above. I sent card for RMA . They said that it is working fine. But now this is happening no driver crashes but system freezes to death.
m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:03:02 PM

i would check your mb bios rev and see where it at to the bios patches on msi web page there are a lot of them for memory.
i would update the bios then run memtest to see if you have a stick of bad ram.
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:04:12 PM

BIOS update is latest . Lets see if the memtest works OK
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:19:06 PM

Yeah. The RAMs passed the Memtest too. Plus I also have changed hard drive to a new one. As I thought in case the hard drive became slow due to those system crashes or freezing. Now what to do ??
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:21:39 PM

yes do run on some mem test and some other bench to see whats wrong with your pc, if nothing else works try bios update, and try using your 580 on your friends pc if it still persist.
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:25:06 PM

Why don't u Try using a single stick
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:34:41 PM

Or try under clocking ur card
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:51:49 PM

If you decided your memory was fine after 15 minutes of running Memtest, you are not testing it right.

Run Memtest through one pass with all RAM installed.

Then run Memtest with a single stick of RAM installed for at least 3 passes. Do this with the same stick of RAM for every DIMM on your motherboard.

Then run Memtest with each other stick of RAM individually in DIMM1 for at least 3 passes.

I expect that either one of the DIMMs on your mobo is bad or one of your sticks of RAM is bad, but running Memtest for 15 minutes will not give you any conclusions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:54:00 PM

Now that I think about it, it could be the PCI-e slot as well. Try putting your graphics card in a different PCI-e slot and running a program like MSI Kombuster.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:01:28 PM

shubhankar_venkatesh said:
I have a Corsair GS 800 Power Supply.

I don't believe you.

Why? Because you just told us your system passed memtest after 15min, lol, the test takes hours and you would have had to download the program first and burn it to disk ! :sleep: 

If your going to lie, nobody here can help you.
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:35:14 PM

dalmvern said:
If you decided your memory was fine after 15 minutes of running Memtest, you are not testing it right.

Run Memtest through one pass with all RAM installed.

Then run Memtest with a single stick of RAM installed for at least 3 passes. Do this with the same stick of RAM for every DIMM on your motherboard.

Then run Memtest with each other stick of RAM individually in DIMM1 for at least 3 passes.

I expect that either one of the DIMMs on your mobo is bad or one of your sticks of RAM is bad, but running Memtest for 15 minutes will not give you any conclusions.

I dint know that memtest is done that way. Will try that out for sure. But I have a question, If a memory slot or a RAM Stick is bad, then why is there no problem when I used a different graphics card??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:54:25 PM

I dint know that memtest is done that way. Will try that out for sure. But I have a question, If a memory slot or a RAM Stick is bad, then why is there no problem when I used a different graphics card??

Good question!

Anyway how did you distribute 12GB RAM in a doble channel plataform?
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:12:08 PM

geekapproved said:
I don't believe you.

Why? Because you just told us your system passed memtest after 15min, lol, the test takes hours and you would have had to download the program first and burn it to disk ! :sleep: 

If your going to lie, nobody here can help you.

Could you please tell me which software to use for testing the memory ??
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:14:14 PM

jemm said:
Good question!

Anyway how did you distribute 12GB RAM in a doble channel plataform?

its 2,2,4,4 in dimm 0,1,2,3 slots. or should i change it to 2,4,2,4 ??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 5:18:24 PM

Could you please tell me which software to use for testing the memory ??

Memtest86

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 5:19:12 PM

GTX580 uses 280w, while 8600GT only uses 43w. Not sure how you think they have the same tdp.

Do me a favor, take a picture of your power supply with your screen name in the picture on a piece of paper and post it.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:41:06 PM

geekapproved said:
GTX580 uses 280w, while 8600GT only uses 43w. Not sure how you think they have the same tdp.

Do me a favor, take a picture of your power supply with your screen name in the picture on a piece of paper and post it.

looks like you cant help me. so why dont you go and pick some other thread and blabber around dude if u are so inti and proud of urself.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:49:57 PM

Sry folks for the mistake on the TDP thing. Really sorry.
m
l
a c 195 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 5:58:55 PM

I suspect RAM. Why? My wife's new PC had these exact symptoms (except for not playing games). The RAM passed a pass of memtest. I saw a crash (complete lockup, not worker(s) failing) in Prime95 too. I had spares so I swapped in different RAM. Problem solved; the machine has been stable ever since.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 6:19:13 PM

looks like you cant help me. so why dont you go and pick some other thread and blabber around dude if u are so inti and proud of urself.

Look, geekapproved does know what he is talking about, but he can be a bit caustic at times lol. It is very important that we know what kind of power supply that you have so we can make sure it has the necessary amps on the 12v rail. For all we know you might have an 800W power supply that only provides 150W to the 12v rail... thats an overexaggeration, but that is why we need to know exactly what power supply you have.

Aside from that run Memtest 86+ in the manner that I suggested earlier and note which tests it fails on. Also, take a look at your motherboard documentation and see how the DIMMs are arranged and paired. Usually DIMM1 and DIMM3 are one pair, and DIMM2 and DIMM4 are another pair. Or you could just take out the 2 GB memory sticks and make it easy.
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:30:12 PM

dalmvern said:
Look, geekapproved does know what he is talking about, but he can be a bit caustic at times lol. It is very important that we know what kind of power supply that you have so we can make sure it has the necessary amps on the 12v rail. For all we know you might have an 800W power supply that only provides 150W to the 12v rail... thats an overexaggeration, but that is why we need to know exactly what power supply you have.

Aside from that run Memtest 86+ in the manner that I suggested earlier and note which tests it fails on. Also, take a look at your motherboard documentation and see how the DIMMs are arranged and paired. Usually DIMM1 and DIMM3 are one pair, and DIMM2 and DIMM4 are another pair. Or you could just take out the 2 GB memory sticks and make it easy.

I told you I have Corsair GS800 SMPS. 80 plus bronze certified power supply. Plus in case you want other component I have 6 HDD of 7200 RPM attached to it all 1TB and Above, plus Optical drive, attached to motherboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 7:01:38 PM

Your right, nobody can help you.
m
l
September 17, 2012 7:37:36 PM

geekapproved said:
Your right, nobody can help you.

I guess its surely you, not anybody else. cant you use ur one of the 5 sense organs to see and read that it is written only for you. I guess you cuz u r probably so much of a geek that you cant even other than IC and capacitor PCB of graphics card. Dude its simple english. cant you read its meant for you. :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 8:01:04 PM

You are really mixing up memory ram sticks, and it is not good at all. :non:  They can work, but they might be the cause of the issue -- please don´t ask me how do they work with the other card you have, coz I do not know the answer. :pt1cable: 

Can you place just the same sticks into the slots, please? Use both 2-2, or 4-4, but do not mix them, then see if it resolve the issue. Thank you!
m
l
September 17, 2012 8:41:01 PM

jemm said:
You are really mixing up memory ram sticks, and it is not good at all. :non:  They can work, but they might be the cause of the issue -- please don´t ask me how do they work with the other card you have, coz I do not know the answer. :pt1cable: 

Can you place just the same sticks into the slots, please? Use both 2-2, or 4-4, but do not mix them, then see if it resolve the issue. Thank you!

OK, means I will to test the RAMS individually and then all together at the same time using Memtest 86 to check their functioning first. Then try changing the PCI e slot. Then either 2-2 or 4-4 . guess i got a lot to learn to today to do troubleshooting. Thanks guys. Will try them all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 9:03:40 PM

OK, means I will to test the RAMS individually and then all together at the same time using Memtest 86 to check their functioning first. Then try changing the PCI e slot. Then either 2-2 or 4-4 . guess i got a lot to learn to today to do troubleshooting. Thanks guys. Will try them all.

Not quite!

Just use 2x 4GB ram, and see if it resolve the issue, mean check if with 4-4 the computer freezes while gaming on your Palit GTX 580 3GB. If it freezes with 4-4, then check it out with 2-2.

After checking it, then you can test the memory with Memtest 86+ if you feel like.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:04:57 PM

Hey you people said about unstable Power Supply I have GTX 580 (all know that) plus 7 HDD. Will be needing a higher wattage SMPS or what ??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 3:14:29 PM

I don´t think so, Corsair GS 800 Power Supply is more than enough.
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:53:37 AM

Hey Guess what my graphics card normal temperature hovers around 51-52 dec C and when playing it goes beyond 75 deg C and even 82 C. Is that a problem guys ??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 11:49:53 AM

Nope, graphic cards usually run hot, but if you can keep your case and components clear from the dust -- which is your case?

You have a quite nice rig -- it deserves a case with good air flow.
m
l
October 7, 2012 12:19:22 PM

Bro run memtest for 12 hours.A single error repaorted by memtest means one of ur ram is bad.Run HD tune to test your main drive for errors.
m
l
November 14, 2012 3:18:50 AM

Hi.

I am experiencing this problem, this last 2-3 months. I dont know what to do. My System freezes and doesn't responsive to anything and there is a continuous buzzing sound coming out of the speaker. This happens in various ways.

1. When i start playing games the system freezes
2. When i start playing movies of format (almost all *.avi, *.mp4, *.mkv)
3. When I open my mozilla or Opera browser.
4. Some times at the startup of the windows when I click on some notification.

This problem must of Graphics card. I just cannot figure out, I have another graphics an old one XFX GT 8600, which doesnt give me any kind of problem. Please help out.

im having the same problem today.. gtx 580 3g 5-10 minutes into a mw3 game everything freezes and a buzzing sound in the headphones. I've had this setup for over a year with no problems til now..
m
l
November 14, 2012 2:31:15 PM

tuffguyz said:
im having the same problem today.. gtx 580 3g 5-10 minutes into a mw3 game everything freezes and a buzzing sound in the headphones. I've had this setup for over a year with no problems til now..

Hi Dude. Do you have the same graphics card Palit or some other ?.
Because if its Palit, it shitty. All I have heard is that all Palit GPUs have heating and this same shitty problems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2012 4:43:39 PM

Did you solve your problem?
m
l
February 3, 2013 5:52:21 AM

jemm said:
Did you solve your problem?

I am running my old card and its running smooth as butter. Its even the memtest says memories are good. means passes. Looks like my Rs. 33k went down the gutter for good. Now cant do nothing, no warranty now. But yes, the GTX 580 temp goes above 100 dec C and shuts down suddenly, means graphics card stops working. I guess the re is a problem with the Palit GTX 580.
m
l
February 3, 2013 5:54:43 AM

Hey Folks do suggest me a great Graphics Card. Is Sapphire BRand of Graphics Card any good or Should I go for Asus ? Suggest some good Graphics Card Folks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 9:05:03 AM

Both Sapphire and Asus cards are good, so you can´t go wrong with them.

Look for 660 Ti, HD 7870 LE, or HD 7870, if you want to stay around the GTX 580 budget.

If you want to spend a bit more, then go with HD 7950 Boost, or a GTX 670.
m
l
February 3, 2013 5:25:44 PM

how about these cards
Asus Geforce GTX670 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX670-DC2G-4GD5)
Asus Geforce GTX680 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX680-DC2-4GD5)
Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB DDR5 Vapor-X Edition ATI PCI E Graphic Card.

Which will prove to be more reliable ?? Asus or Sapphire ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 8:53:41 PM

The GTX670 is a good card, but it does not compete in terms of performance and price with both GTX680 and HD7970.

I´d definitively go with the HD7970, which performances as good as the GTX680, but is a bit less expensive.

As I said above both Asus or Sapphire are good -- get the one which will offer you the longest warranty, or go for the cheapest.
m
l
!