Sign in with
Your question

Will a dual link DVI-D to HDMI cable display 120hz?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 10:18:24 AM

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting 120hz to run to my TV from Windows 7, from what I've read on here, some other people are having similar problems however they seem to be using monitors, where as I have a TV which only have Component, VGA, HDMI and USB ports...

So basically I have to use a HDMI - HDMI or a DVI to HDMI cable, I've now learnt that it is not possible to get a 120hz signal through a HDMI - HDMI cable. However I was wandering if it is still possible with a Dual Link DVI - HDMI Cable, as this is the only port usable on my TV without downgrading to VGA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 10:34:34 AM

No tv has a 120hz input...Adapters won't work either unfortunately.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:10:06 PM

^^ this guy is right....120hz TV's are misleading....its still only 60hz input....to make it 120hz the tv injects a frame in there after every frame that the input signals....this is not "true" 120hz IMO....bunch of crap the day I learned that I was pissed haha....there are some monitors that accept a 120hz input though just no tv's at this time.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 1:07:22 PM

Some TVs (Mitsubishi DLP rear-projection TVs, namely) do accept 120hz signals from a DVI-D. I think we're all still waiting for LCD / LED 3D-ready TVs with a 120hz capable DVI input. Waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

The "hz" in TVs is mostly frame interpolation, although more and more TVs have 120hz-capable panels. But those 240hz, 480hz, 600hz TVs actually only compute (interpolate) images between the images they receive through the input, at that rate. Works great for TV & movies, worthless for gaming.
m
l
January 12, 2014 3:23:33 PM

Horrux said:
Some TVs (Mitsubishi DLP rear-projection TVs, namely) do accept 120hz signals from a DVI-D. I think we're all still waiting for LCD / LED 3D-ready TVs with a 120hz capable DVI input. Waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

The "hz" in TVs is mostly frame interpolation, although more and more TVs have 120hz-capable panels. But those 240hz, 480hz, 600hz TVs actually only compute (interpolate) images between the images they receive through the input, at that rate. Works great for TV & movies, worthless for gaming.

I've been looking into this a lot lately, I want to get a LED TV for my room that can perform well for PC gaming (I don't really have the space for a desktop monitor and a TV in my room). I did find this one at Best Buy that actually has a DVI port:
http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV...

It didn't look all that great when I saw it on display at the store, so I probably won't get it anyway. But, just to use as an example for clarity, do the few models out there like this that have DVI ports (and that are advertised as 120hz TVs) actually have the capability for native 120hz refresh rate over DVI?

I didn't get a chance to confirm whether or not the DVI port was a true dual-link port, but even if it is I feel like based on Horrux's comment that this one is still doing the whole upconversion from 60hz, even over DVI.

I am also thinking about just waiting for HDMI 2.0 to drop on all the new TVs, but I'm a bit worried they will only role them out on 4k TVs initially and I'll have to wait a considerable amount of time for HDMI 2.0 on 1080p TVs.

m
l
!