The New World of Darkness and Happiness.

I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has the
new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
anyone unhappy after seeing it?

I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters (or,
characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP), from
the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new system.

While, yeah, I can play something NEW, from the splats as I've seen,
I'm not AS interested in making a new character. Or rather, I should
say, I'm not thinking of any characters that made me as excited to
play as OG Vampire did.

Zane Graves wrote:

> I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has the
> new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
> anyone unhappy after seeing it?

I'm very happy. I'm unhappy with bits of it, but those bits are the
bits I read and think "What, they still haven't fixed this?"

(Like the falling damage system and the feeding system.)

All in all, there's not a single thing that V:tR does that it doesn't do
better than V:tM. Likewise with the new ST system.

> I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters (or,
> characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP), from
> the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new system.

> While, yeah, I can play something NEW, from the splats as I've seen,
> I'm not AS interested in making a new character. Or rather, I should
> say, I'm not thinking of any characters that made me as excited to
> play as OG Vampire did.

I don't think I can help you with that particular problem.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Stephenls
> Zane Graves wrote:

> > I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has the
> > new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
> > anyone unhappy after seeing it?

> I'm very happy. I'm unhappy with bits of it, but those bits are the
> bits I read and think "What, they still haven't fixed this?"

> (Like the falling damage system and the feeding system.)

> All in all, there's not a single thing that V:tR does that it doesn't do
> better than V:tM. Likewise with the new ST system.

I mean, I hate saying "Sell me" on this. But I kinda feel...just blah
about it all. And it seems everyone is REALLY excited about this.

Oh. I have finally seen the new books. I mean, I'm not sure if I've
"gotten over" role-playing in the WoD or what. Even aside from the,
for me at this moment, sizeable start-up cost, I'm not sure anything
really says "PLAY THIS!"

> > I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters (or,
> > characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP), from
> > the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new system.

> > While, yeah, I can play something NEW, from the splats as I've seen,
> > I'm not AS interested in making a new character. Or rather, I should
> > say, I'm not thinking of any characters that made me as excited to
> > play as OG Vampire did.

> I don't think I can help you with that particular problem.

Yeah. I'm guessing since the Cam seemed to not like me as a player,
and finding a compatable RPG group stone cold without knowing anyone
is kinda hard, that the characters will just be sheets of paper in my
filing cabinet. It's not a big thing, but I did kinda of hope that
they'd get a new chance this time around.

Hm. I think I'll end my "full of blah" now.

On 26 Aug 2004 00:53:40 -0700, maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote:
>I mean, I hate saying "Sell me" on this. But I kinda feel...just blah
>about it all. And it seems everyone is REALLY excited about this.

I'm less and less excited about this.
I have not read the book. Just the parts on wod.com.
Little things irked me : like the Ob4 power, which is far too weak for
a level 4 IMHO, which makes me fear that the nWod would be as badly
balanced than the old one.
Then I opened it at random in my FLGS, and found "Clan Malkovians.
Clan weakness : each one has a permanent derangement" : i was hoping
for something (more) different.
I mean, we already have a well established campaign. It seems to me
that it's not possible to convert it to the new settings (because it's
still not exactly the same thing). But, why begin a new settings if a
lot of things are the same ?

Now, I'm waiting for werewolf.

Guillaume

Guillaume JAY <gjay_diespammer-die@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<6i8ri0dv371iplv0lqrf1ajo2p7v7vd7f1@4ax.com>...
> On 26 Aug 2004 00:53:40 -0700, maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote:
> >I mean, I hate saying "Sell me" on this. But I kinda feel...just blah
> >about it all. And it seems everyone is REALLY excited about this.
>
> I'm less and less excited about this.
> I have not read the book. Just the parts on wod.com.
> Little things irked me : like the Ob4 power, which is far too weak for
> a level 4 IMHO, which makes me fear that the nWod would be as badly
> balanced than the old one.

Kinda how I felt about the Nightmare Discipline; up until level 4, I
was thinking "Couldn't you do all of this with Presence?" But I didn't
read Presence's new incarnation, Majesty, so maybe you can't
anymore...

> Then I opened it at random in my FLGS, and found "Clan Malkovians.
> Clan weakness : each one has a permanent derangement" : i was hoping
> for something (more) different.

I gather the difference is that they (along with the Toreador) are now
minor bloodlines, with all the social baggage that entails.

> I mean, we already have a well established campaign. It seems to me
> that it's not possible to convert it to the new settings (because it's
> still not exactly the same thing). But, why begin a new settings if a
> lot of things are the same ?

Maybe if you just try converting the rules mechanics, but leave the
basic VampRev setting intact?

> Now, I'm waiting for werewolf.

Wasn't that pushed back?

Dex,
is it too early to wait for new Changeling?^^

> I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has the
> new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
> anyone unhappy after seeing it?

I'm still early in the reading of the books, but so far there's some things
I like, some I don't like, but so far nothing that has me really excited
about it. Reminds me a lot more of Underworld now than the old system did.
Wondering how Garou will really fit in.

I so far like:
Initially the clans seem more ballanced in powers/ penalties.
Humanity is taking a larger play in things.
It takes effort to create a childe. (no instant army)
A bit of breakdown of clan ties and animosities. (Old system had the
problems: why is a Gangrel, 2 Ventrue, a Toreador, and a Bruja working
together?)
the old uber powerful vamps are not top dog always. Eventually they will go
into tupor. So a lot more change in the politics. Better be nice now because
when you wake up you'll be weaker and I'll be stronger and I'll get revenge.

So far don't like
Not initially seeing a reason to create a childe, why would I create one /
why would my sire create me?
Humanity loss may be too easy and detrimental.
Not sure I like the blood drinking rules.
Fewer ready made conflicts, clan vs clan, Sabat vs Cam, anarchs vs old ones.

Odd thought
After reading how blood potency and tupor work in the raising/lowering of
power, I see a very "Underworld" like alternating
leadership happening in many places. Tupor for 50 years so you take the edge
off your blood potency but are still on top of the food chain, then I wake
you up so you rule, while I tupor for a while. And if there is real trouble
wake the others up early and in-mass we deal with it.

> I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters (or,
> characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP), from
> the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new system.
>
> While, yeah, I can play something NEW, from the splats as I've seen,
> I'm not AS interested in making a new character. Or rather, I should
> say, I'm not thinking of any characters that made me as excited to
> play as OG Vampire did.

Same general feeling here too.
Joe

Zane Graves <maltlick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has
the
> new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
> anyone unhappy after seeing it?
>
> I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters
(or,
> characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP),
from
> the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new
system.
-------------
My favourite character will have to become a century younger if I keep
him and he's still to be a Torrie... and he can't realistically be a
vanilla Daeva because he's so into music and the plastic arts. But the
crunchy bits loss is well worth it to get rid of the ****ing stupid
Assamites! Yes! Result! No more Arab terrorists with teh K3WL N1NJ4
P0W3RZ! Other things I won't shed tears for are the Camarilla/Sabbat
war, the "No vampires in the countryside, werewolves only" setup, the
Malkavians - the clan isn't a flawed concept but too often they were
played badly as wacky clowns who dressed like Dr Who and talked in
rejected Python scripts - and the Tzimisce, who started off as a good
idea but got a bit over the top and went all bad Hellraiser sequel on
us. But then, those who liked any of the expunged clans can always
bring them back under the bloodline creation rules, I suppose. But not
the Blood Brothers. Please not the Blood Brothers.

--
You are Not entering Chapeltown.
We walk on two legs, the one abstract

Zane Graves wrote:

> I'm just putting this out there to ask, how does everyone who has the
> new WoD books feel so far? Do you LIKE Vampire done this way? Is
> anyone unhappy after seeing it?

I'm sort of torn -- I do like the idea of vampires not wanting to co-exist on
any sort of larger scale but being forced to do so. OTOH, I really dislike the
way the new set up is just asking for the party to back stab one another
whenever the opportunity arises.

Also the new vampire status quo isn't particularly geared towards Lost Boys
style packs or the more cinematic/traditional/pop-cultural interpretations of
the myth but has instead opted for the 1st edition sexless/joyless predator
approach that most people tend to throw out the window anyway.

--
Jon
-----

Jon wrote:
>Also the new vampire status quo isn't particularly geared towards Lost Boys
>style packs or the more cinematic/traditional/pop-cultural interpretations of
>the myth but has instead opted for the 1st edition sexless/joyless predator
>approach that most people tend to throw out the window anyway.

Funny, my impression is exactly the opposite. Especially since the NWOD
-aren't- sexless or joyless, in particular, and at least one of the bloodlines
is very much in the style of the Lost Boys. Plus, the lack of overarching
international vampire social structure makes that sort of thing -more- likely,
rather than less, to my eyes.

Phil

On 26 Aug 2004 10:04:39 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:
>Maybe if you just try converting the rules mechanics, but leave the
>basic VampRev setting intact?

I'm not sure it's possible. I mean, I really like that they
discarded generations, and the age and blood potency mechanics, but I
don't think you can use these mechanics in the owod without disrupting
the setting.

Other parts should be easier to convert, of course.

But in the new Wod, I was really interested in the setting part of
"new" :)

>Wasn't that pushed back?

Yes. But I'm still waiting for it.

Guilllaume

"Certic"
> Zane Graves

> > I ask, because I realize that my favorite and unplayed characters
> (or,
> > characters I played, but like, rarely and not enough to get XP),
> from
> > the previews on the WoD website, won't carry over into the new
> system.

> -------------
> My favourite character will have to become a century younger if I keep
> him and he's still to be a Torrie... and he can't realistically be a
> vanilla Daeva because he's so into music and the plastic arts.

I had a Gangrel who really fit in with the old flaw (and, in fact,
he'd be too different with the new clan flaw to the point that he'd be
the opposite of who he used to be). A Ventrue I had really didn't
NEED the feeding flaw (though I found his, and the reason for
understanding his, much more interesting a side-story), and might even
be playable in the new game, though the whole "no vampires before the
Roman Empire" and lack of Paths makes it a touch stickier. I also
thing the things that happen to them when they enter torpor for long
periods of time might screw him up more than he needs to be. My
Brujah isn't attached to the old flaw, but doesn't really fit into any
niche there now is. Nor my Tzimisce, or Lasombra.

Although, I did have a concept for a Nos that works much better in the
new setting, but he was going to be my LARP character in the event my
PC ever bit it and I needed a secondary character to play once in a
while.

> But the
> crunchy bits loss is well worth it to get rid of the ****ing stupid
> Assamites!

True. No matter what was done to "fix" them, they still couldn't shed
that "myth of the noble savage" feel they had going for them, only in
a much worse situation.

Guillaume JAY wrote:

> Then I opened it at random in my FLGS, and found "Clan Malkovians.
> Clan weakness : each one has a permanent derangement" : i was hoping
> for something (more) different.

Well that's disappointing. I haven't opened V:tR yet, I'm still reading
WoD. Oh well, I guess I'll be ignoring Bloodlines as much in the new
WoD as I did in the old one. The five core Clans and Covenants, while
bearing similarities to things gone by, seem to have enough new flavour
to revitalize the setting imo.

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Well that's disappointing. I haven't opened V:tR yet, I'm still reading
> WoD. Oh well, I guess I'll be ignoring Bloodlines as much in the new
> WoD as I did in the old one. The five core Clans and Covenants, while
> bearing similarities to things gone by, seem to have enough new flavour
> to revitalize the setting imo.

Now I /know/ you're crazy. The new bloodline system is great. Weird
little localized vampiric variations and spooky random strangeness make
any game better.
--

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:51:19 -0700, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> Well that's disappointing. I haven't opened V:tR yet, I'm still reading
>> WoD. Oh well, I guess I'll be ignoring Bloodlines as much in the new
>> WoD as I did in the old one. The five core Clans and Covenants, while
>> bearing similarities to things gone by, seem to have enough new flavour
>> to revitalize the setting imo.
>
>Now I /know/ you're crazy. The new bloodline system is great. Weird
>little localized vampiric variations and spooky random strangeness make
>any game better.

And the fact that you have to *choose* to "join" a bloodline makes the
likes of the Malkovians much creepier.

Of course you might not even know you've made a choice. The whole idea
of activation of bloodlines at a point in the character's life has a
bunch of interesting possibilities - I already have some plans for a
friendly NPC that activates a dormant bloodline in an attempt to keep
parity with the players who he sees as peers. Disaster results as the
bloodline is one with ... side-effects. Is it the player's fault?

It's also, obviously, a good way to evolve an antagonist.

This is a great system.