Maxxum 7D firmware upgrade 1.10

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 27, 2005 1:46:13 PM

Corrected problem details:

1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in
combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.
2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens
the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed.
*Effect varies depending on the memory card.
3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and
the index display in playback mode.
4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display
in instant playback.
5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.
6. Modified the following problems:
1. External flash fires with its full power in rare cases.
2. Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.

Let's hope that they mean fixed rather than modified...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021406km7dfw110.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/ is updated to reflect
the changes.

Cheers,
Alan

February 27, 2005 4:53:48 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Corrected problem details:
>
> 1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in
> combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.
> 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens
> the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed.
> *Effect varies depending on the memory card.
> 3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and
> the index display in playback mode.
> 4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display
> in instant playback.
> 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.
> 6. Modified the following problems:
> 1. External flash fires with its full power in rare cases.
> 2. Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.
>
> Let's hope that they mean fixed rather than modified...
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021406km7dfw110.asp
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/ is updated to reflect
> the changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Okay, well, I guess the salesperson has one more task to accomplish
before I buy one, or they can discount my 7D if I'm gonna update it myself.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On 27 Feb 2005 10:46:13 -0800, "Alan Browne" <alan1browne@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Corrected problem details:
> 1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in
>combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.
> 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens
>the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed.
>*Effect varies depending on the memory card.
> 3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and
>the index display in playback mode.
> 4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display
>in instant playback.
> 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.
> 6. Modified the following problems:
> 1. External flash fires with its full power in rare cases.
> 2. Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.
>Let's hope that they mean fixed rather than modified...
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021406km7dfw110.asp
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/ is updated to reflect
>the changes.
>Cheers,
>Alan

Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
Everything went fine.

Joe
February 28, 2005 1:01:30 PM

stator wrote:

> Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
> Everything went fine.

It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash write/read
speeds have improved...

Cheers,
Alan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:45:30 PM

stator wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2005 10:46:13 -0800, "Alan Browne" <alan1browne@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Corrected problem details:
>> 1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in
>> combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.
>> 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement
>> shortens the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer
>> speed. *Effect varies depending on the memory card.
>> 3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display
>> and the index display in playback mode.
>> 4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display
>> in instant playback.
>> 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.
>> 6. Modified the following problems:
>> 1. External flash fires with its full power in rare cases.
>> 2. Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.
>> Let's hope that they mean fixed rather than modified...
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021406km7dfw110.asp
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/ is updated to
>> reflect the changes.
>> Cheers,
>> Alan
>
> Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
> Everything went fine.

Second that! Updated mine as well, also no problems. Haven't done much
shooting since, but think I'm seeing a write speed increase even on my
Hitachi 4GB microdrive. I do like the addition of the clipping
indicator blinking in the instant review.

Bob ^,,^
March 1, 2005 12:04:21 PM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> stator wrote:
> > Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
> > Everything went fine.
> It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash
write/read
> speeds have improved...
> Alan

Well, the write speeds seem a bit faster...but I must admit, I don't really
pay all that much attention to the write times. The onboard flash still seem
to underexpose indoor subjects at about 4 meters away. Increasing the flash
output corrects this but it seems to be a hit-and-miss thing.
The no-card flashing bar is a nice addition....as I am guily=ty of snapping
a couple of photos one day and didn't notice there was no CF card in the
camera until I went to preview the images.

Joe
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:13:24 PM

simon wrote:

> Well, the write speeds seem a bit faster...but I must admit, I don't really
> pay all that much attention to the write times. The onboard flash still seem
> to underexpose indoor subjects at about 4 meters away. Increasing the flash
> output corrects this but it seems to be a hit-and-miss thing.
> The no-card flashing bar is a nice addition....as I am guily=ty of snapping
> a couple of photos one day and didn't notice there was no CF card in the
> camera until I went to preview the images.

Jeez. You'd think they'd simply lock the shutter.

Cheers,
Alan

March 1, 2005 1:21:54 PM

Jer wrote:

> Okay, well, I guess the salesperson has one more task to accomplish
> before I buy one, or they can discount my 7D if I'm gonna update it myself.

Given the complexity of todays DSLR's we are to be thankful that the firmware
can be upgraded after the camera is sold. Just about every new DSLR in the last
couple years has gone through this cycle.

Some of the fixes are "fixes" to bugs that have shown up. Some of the "fixes"
are enhancements such as the remote storage function, improved displays and
"luminance limit" ('clipping') display. In the days of yore, once a camera was
out and their was a firmware glitch, unless there was no reasonable workaround,
you were stuck with it... the companies were very reluctant to reach a 'recall'
decision.

Upgrading the firmware is fairly effortless (as stator, Bob Harington and
Stéphane Guillard will attest).

Finally, if you do buy one, it is not imperative that you do the upgrade right
away. Enjoy the camera for a few days and then during an upload to the
computer, DL the upgrade and install it.

Cheers,
Alan

March 1, 2005 1:32:57 PM

Bonjour,

>> Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
>> Everything went fine.
> Second that! Updated mine as well, also no problems. Haven't done much

Same here, updated without a problem, runs fine, I also appreciate the clip
blink in preview.

I still dont understand why pictures shot with the onboard flash are almost
always very underxposed...

Kind regards,
--
Stéphane Guillard
March 1, 2005 2:10:19 PM

news:D 021ak$fa6$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Some of the fixes are "fixes" to bugs that have shown up. Some of the
"fixes"
> are enhancements such as the remote storage function, improved displays
and
> "luminance limit" ('clipping') display. In the days of yore, once a
camera was
> out and their was a firmware glitch, unless there was no reasonable
workaround,
> you were stuck with it... the companies were very reluctant to reach a
'recall'
> decision.

Alan, at the risk or showing my ignorance here, can you elaborate as to the
function of the "remote storage" and why it is important? Does that have
anything to do with attaching the camera to the pc via the usb cable?
I usually take the card out of the camera and use my dedicated CF reader.

Regards,
Joe
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:48:31 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>

>> Okay, well, I guess the salesperson has one more task to accomplish
>> before I buy one, or they can discount my 7D if I'm gonna update it
>> myself.
>

> Given the complexity of todays DSLR's we are to be thankful that the
> firmware can be upgraded after the camera is sold. Just about every
> new DSLR in the last couple years has gone through this cycle.
>
> Some of the fixes are "fixes" to bugs that have shown up. Some of
> the "fixes" are enhancements such as the remote storage function,
> improved displays and "luminance limit" ('clipping') display. In the
> days of yore, once a camera was out and their was a firmware glitch,
> unless there was no reasonable workaround, you were stuck with it...
> the companies were very reluctant to reach a 'recall' decision.
>
> Upgrading the firmware is fairly effortless (as stator, Bob Harington
> and Stéphane Guillard will attest).
>
> Finally, if you do buy one, it is not imperative that you do the
> upgrade right away. Enjoy the camera for a few days and then during
> an upload to the computer, DL the upgrade and install it.

Chances are that a newly purchased Maxxum may well already have the
v1.10 firmware installed in manufacture; easy to check - turn on the
camera, press the 'Menu' button, then press the 'Display' button to
display the camera's 'About' dialog...

While I took my time doing the upgrade here, carefully reading the docs
and then reading them again, it was in reality so simple that next time
I could probably do the whole process from downloading the patch to
upgrading the camera in just a couple-three minutes.

It really is nice having the ability to upgrade a camera the same way I
can upgrade Photoshop or a flight sim! Now I'm wondering if K-M might
be able to tweak the software to allow ~full~ use of my old Minolta
4000AF flash with the 7D...

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:55:55 PM

simon wrote:

> Alan, at the risk or showing my ignorance here, can you elaborate as to the
> function of the "remote storage" and why it is important? Does that have
> anything to do with attaching the camera to the pc via the usb cable?
> I usually take the card out of the camera and use my dedicated CF reader.

You're way ahead of me already and probably close to the mark. I think it means
you don't store on the CF, but on the remote computer via the USB as you shoot.
Could be useful in the studio if the USB cable is long enough.

(Would be nice if this could be done wirelessly).

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...

"This is an update to the Maxxum 7D firmware. This firmware is for use only with
the Maxxum 7D and cannot be used with other products. The update does not work
correctly if it is installed in other products. *Corrected problem details: 1.
Added the remote storage function which can be used in combination with the
DiMAGE Transfer software. 2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This
improvement shortens the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer
speed. *Effect varies depending on the memory card. 3. Added enlarged display
function in both the histogram display and the index display in playback mode.
4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display in instant
playback. 5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication. 6. Modified the
following problems: - External flash fires with its full power in rare cases. -
Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases."

Pretty sparse.

March 1, 2005 3:11:58 PM

simon wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> stator wrote:
>>> Thanks for the post Alan. Just updated mine this morning.
>>> Everything went fine.
>> It would be nice to hear from you if the transfer speeds or flash
>> write/read speeds have improved...
>> Alan
>
> Well, the write speeds seem a bit faster...but I must admit, I don't
> really pay all that much attention to the write times. The onboard
> flash still seem to underexpose indoor subjects at about 4 meters
> away. Increasing the flash output corrects this but it seems to be a
> hit-and-miss thing.
> The no-card flashing bar is a nice addition....as I am guily=ty of
> snapping a couple of photos one day and didn't notice there was no CF
> card in the camera until I went to preview the images.

I had some disappointing flash results early on here as well. Since my
lenses are about 12 years old and not all Minolta brand, I found that
setting the flash mode to 'Pre-flashTTL' instead of the default 'ADI
flash' seemed to help a lot. It's not absolutely clear from reading the
manual, but I gather the ADI mode uses distance information from their
newer 'D' series lenses to calculate power output - I'm thinking that my
older lenses either don't provide any such distance info to the camera,
or provide it in an incompatible way.

The best part is, once you have it set in pre-flash TTL mode and you are
using the camera flash, and given a dark enough room - you will get an
amazing display of pyrotechnics as the flash first buzzes out a focus
assist, then does the pre exposure strobe to get its bearings, and at
last fires the flash for the actual exposure. As an added bonus, by
this point your subject will at the very least be guaranteed to have a
look of "what the...?" on their face; much more likely - if they haven't
fled the room altogether - their now blind eyes will be closed tight and
they might even be flashing you a bird or two of their own... ;^)

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:31:25 PM

Bob Harrington wrote:

> It really is nice having the ability to upgrade a camera the same way I
> can upgrade Photoshop or a flight sim! Now I'm wondering if K-M might
> be able to tweak the software to allow ~full~ use of my old Minolta
> 4000AF flash with the 7D...

Unfortunately no, for a couple reasons. One is that for flash, there needs be a
pre-flash as the OTF-TTL cannot work with a digital sensor. So the preflash
uses the 14 segment meter to preset the flash duration. The older flashes
simply are not able to do pre-flash. (Not even the 5400HS, damnit, at least I
also have a 5600HS).

I suppose you can do manually flash metered shots with the 4000... though that
is a flash I have no knowledge of... just get a flash meter.

Cheers,
Alan

March 1, 2005 7:46:52 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Bob Harrington wrote:
>
>> It really is nice having the ability to upgrade a camera the same
>> way I can upgrade Photoshop or a flight sim! Now I'm wondering if
>> K-M might be able to tweak the software to allow ~full~ use of my
>> old Minolta 4000AF flash with the 7D...
>
> Unfortunately no, for a couple reasons. One is that for flash, there
> needs be a pre-flash as the OTF-TTL cannot work with a digital
> sensor. So the preflash uses the 14 segment meter to preset the
> flash duration. The older flashes simply are not able to do
> pre-flash. (Not even the 5400HS, damnit, at least I also have a
> 5600HS).

Makes sense. Durnit.

> I suppose you can do manually flash metered shots with the 4000...
> though that is a flash I have no knowledge of... just get a flash
> meter.

It does work in manual mode, quickest way I've found is just trial and
error - film's cheap - it's a really nice flash, very powerful - had fun
one night overexposing the roof on a building half a block away with an
f/1.4 lens at ISO 3200... The 4000AF's auto zooming flash head even
still works with the 7D.

But with as little flash photography as I normally do, it will suffice
until I can sell the cat into prostitution to cover a 5600HS...

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:11:25 PM

>I had some disappointing flash results early on here as well. Since my
>lenses are about 12 years old and not all Minolta brand, I found that
>setting the flash mode to 'Pre-flashTTL' instead of the default 'ADI
>flash' seemed to help a lot. It's not absolutely clear from reading the
>manual, but I gather the ADI mode uses distance information from their
>newer 'D' series lenses to calculate power output - I'm thinking that my
>older lenses either don't provide any such distance info to the camera,
>or provide it in an incompatible way.

That seems to work better for me also.

>The best part is, once you have it set in pre-flash TTL mode and you are
>using the camera flash, and given a dark enough room - you will get an
>amazing display of pyrotechnics as the flash first buzzes out a focus
>assist, then does the pre exposure strobe to get its bearings, and at
>last fires the flash for the actual exposure. As an added bonus, by
>this point your subject will at the very least be guaranteed to have a
>look of "what the...?" on their face; much more likely - if they haven't
>fled the room altogether - their now blind eyes will be closed tight and
>they might even be flashing you a bird or two of their own... ;^)
>Bob ^,,^

My dog just shuts his eyes until the light show is over
:-)

Joe
December 8, 2008 8:11:02 AM

does anyone here know of software such as dimage transfer that will work with the maxxum 7D and windows vista?
!