Closed

Forum

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DVI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 11:37:12 AM

I have a gigabyte GA-970 6 core processor, PCI-E 2.0 MB, with 2 new Ge Force 210 GPU but I can't get DVI to work to do dual screen. The VGA works, but for some reason the DVI connection will not work when I boot up the computer. It tell me no connections, and I have a blank (black) screen but the computer is running. I am running OS wind 7ult.I have updated to the latest drivers through the VGA node.
Does anyone know why the DVI would not work? Is there a setting on the mb to reset? I thought it is suppose to be plug&play.
Thanks

More about : forum

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:23:30 PM

Might need to change the default input settings on the monitor.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:23:49 PM

Does your 2nd monitor appear in windows control panel? Have you configured that display in your control panel? Are you running your 2 gpus in sli? Are both monitors connected to your primary gpu? Do both monitors work in vga? If yes, try 1 gpu at a time in the primary slot. It may be a dead dvi I/O and you'll have to rma the card.
Score
Related resources
September 17, 2012 2:54:27 PM

a little black duck said:
Does your 2nd monitor appear in windows control panel? Have you configured that display in your control panel? Are you running your 2 gpus in sli? Are both monitors connected to your primary gpu? Do both monitors work in vga? If yes, try 1 gpu at a time in the primary slot. It may be a dead dvi I/O and you'll have to rma the card.

Ok, here what I have found, my monitor are westening house 19" model, they have only analog and digital.
in their menu since I can only see then with vga, when I have both monitor in vga mode they work fine, both show up in control and also device manager under display, for reference both card show up too, but when I tried DVI on one card and VGA on the other, only VGA show in either place.
Not sure if they are in SLI mode, no they are not connected to just one, I have tried that with VGA and DVI on one card, just the VGA (one monitor)shows and a digital shown up in control panel display but not as a monitor. Both are new cards as the old ones Geforce 8600 had just DVI on them.
Also when I connect the DVI on the other card only a black screen shows.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:47:47 PM

Is there a little 'strap' connecting the 2 gpu's? If so, then they are in sli and the 2nd gpus' I/O are disabled. Therefore, no picture from the 2nd gpu. You need to connect both monitors to the primary gpu, i.e. the same gpu. This is usually, but not always, the gpu closet to the cpu (check your mobos' documentation to confirm). Also, when using dvi you will need to set that monitor to digital, if the monitor does not automatically detect the signal. VGA is analog, dvi, hdmi, displayport are digital.
September 18, 2012 4:08:11 AM

Thanks for all your help so far, I have notice that the the DVI cable I am using a dual-link cable would that be part of the problem, as it work with my other GeForce 8600 GT. Now back to the card, If I use a single card the only way to see the monitor is by VGA. When I unplug the VGA cable and have the DVI cable in then I only get a black screen. Now I have tried to use both VGA and DVI on a single card as it only way to see the screen, the card does not recognized the second monitor using DVI. It only see the VGA one. In the Nvidia control panel, it has a phyX , tab to auto recognized the cable input, and its say it digital, but control panel says analog and unable to change to setting on the monitor when using the DVI port(as it does not recognized it.

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 4:30:21 AM

Glad to be of some help, (limited as it is so far) But a couple of things I should've mentioned before now (appologies for the remiss behaviour, put it down to a senior moment and tired braincells, lol), do you have another dvi cable you can try? Sometimes cables just die (I've had a couple go bad over the years, all of a sudden no picture) and secondly, are all the drivers up to date? Unfortunately, we've got to the point where I'm stumped as to what could be the problem. It may be software related as one control panel recognises digital but the other control panel doesn't.
If anyone else has any suggestions, please, by all means jump in with your recommendations.
Score
September 18, 2012 4:49:15 AM

Best answer selected by rdw.
Score
September 18, 2012 7:41:25 AM

a little black duck said:
Glad to be of some help, (limited as it is so far) But a couple of things I should've mentioned before now (appologies for the remiss behaviour, put it down to a senior moment and tired braincells, lol), do you have another dvi cable you can try? Sometimes cables just die (I've had a couple go bad over the years, all of a sudden no picture) and secondly, are all the drivers up to date? Unfortunately, we've got to the point where I'm stumped as to what could be the problem. It may be software related as one control panel recognises digital but the other control panel doesn't.
If anyone else has any suggestions, please, by all means jump in with your recommendations.

I thank you for your help...
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 8:02:25 AM

You're more than welcome, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:37:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!