Sign in with
Your question

Curiosity about my Power Supply

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 1:58:28 PM

Hi guys, I just bought a computer from ibuypower, and now I´m concerned about the Power Supply. Here are te specs:

1 x Case (NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - White))
1 x Processor (Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i5-3570K))
1 x Motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0))
1 x Memory (16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition))
1 x Video Card (AMD Radeon HD 7870 - 2GB - Single Card))
1 x Case Lighting (Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue))
1 x Power Supply (500 Watt - Corsair CX500 V2))
1 x Processor Cooling (Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - Standard 120mm Fan))
1 x Video Card Brand (Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA))
1 x Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive))
1 x Data Hard Drive (None))
1 x 2nd Optical Drive (None))
1 x Optical Drive (24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black))
1 x Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard))
1 x Speaker System (None))
1 x Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)))
1 x Monitor (22" LED 1920x1080 -- ASUS VS228H-P (21.5 viewable)))
1 x Keyboard (iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard))
1 x Mouse (iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red))
1 x Operating System (None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only))

in the site, they told me that the power supply would be enough, scince the automated system of ibuypower tells you the minimum power supply you can have.

I fear, that the power supply will be short on giving power to the fans of the case or something like that... Please help.

PS: I'm not changing parts of my pc until something dies on me... Thank you :D 

More about : curiosity power supply

a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:14:38 PM

Uh.. I'm assuming this is a pre-built?

The PSU is mediocre. It should be... okay, for a single GPU setup.
Looking at the specs though, it's only 408w in reality. I would personally get a better PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:17:28 PM

Not the most ample headroom for overclocking, but it should be fine for stock clocks.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 2:20:12 PM

Ohh, i forgot to mention, that i'm not overclocking because of the warranty, so should it be fine with the specs? no dangers?
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:25:20 PM

excella1221 said:
Uh.. I'm assuming this is a pre-built?

The PSU is mediocre. It should be... okay, for a single GPU setup.
Looking at the specs though, it's only 408w in reality. I would personally get a better PSU.

I'm just scared, I will not do any important changes and i will not overclock at all or add any other videocard to crossfire.
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:29:30 PM

IbuyPower is the worst ever. If any parts are faulty, you will usually get the blame even if its under warranty.
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:30:33 PM

cutebeans said:
IbuyPower is the worst ever. If any parts are faulty, you will usually get the blame even if its under warranty.

that was not the question bro...
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:32:16 PM

The Corsair V2 Builder was built by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. Start here, and follow the link onto the badcaps.org forums: http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/not-so-tough/8805
Five hundred watts is enough, but I'd look for higher quality than CWT-built.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:34:15 PM

What you could do is buy a good quality ~550W PSU, then you can overclock the system too. It's a bit sad to have a liquid-cooled Core i5-3570k simply running at stock (the K means it's meant for overclocking, and liquid cooling is usually used for major overclocking; so your system is a bit like a Ferrari running at 40 mph).
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:34:41 PM

Onus said:
The Corsair V2 Builder was built by CWT, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. Start here, and follow the link onto the badcaps.org forums: http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/not-so-tough/8805
Five hundred watts is enough, but I'd look for higher quality than CWT-built.

so, do you recommend me to buy another PSU, scince i can't already change my order?
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:39:39 PM

Sakkura said:
What you could do is buy a good quality ~550W PSU, then you can overclock the system too. It's a bit sad to have a liquid-cooled Core i5-3570k simply running at stock (the K means it's meant for overclocking, and liquid cooling is usually used for major overclocking; so your system is a bit like a Ferrari running at 40 mph).

what psu do you recommend me?
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:40:31 PM

Not necessarily. As long as it initially runs well, and you can keep it relatively cool, I don't think you need to "immediately" replace it (it's not like it's a Crappermaster or Raidmax). By some time next year though, you may wish to do so. There's no urgency, so keep your eyes open for good deals. Newegg often has specials on Seasonic and Antec units, and their own NEW (i.e. Capstone and Hive) Rosewill units are also good. New FSP units are also good (Aurum and Raider).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:42:18 PM

bocina1 said:
what psu do you recommend me?

Something like an XFX Core Edition PRO 550W.

Edit: But I agree with Onus, it's nothing urgent.
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 2:44:15 PM

^+1; XFX units are built by Seasonic.
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:46:16 PM

I just want my baby to run cool, this is a hard earned investment!!! so I just want my computer to run perfectly, without getting any damage
m
l
!