Sign in with
Your question

New Build Help: GA-Z68XP-UD3, 3770k, GTX680

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 2:15:27 PM

Ok, that last system I built was with Windows 95 and it was super easy. I thought the same thing this time, but I am having a terrible time getting this thing up and running. I spec'd most of this build from a Tom's article for a moderate gaming rig. Here are the components:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155

Intel Core i7-3770K - BX80637I73770K

EVGA GeForce GTX680 SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9Q-32GBXL

OCZ Technology 240GB Agility 3 Series SATA SSD

LG BH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-ray BDXL Internal Rewriter with Software - Retail Box

Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply with Modular Cables (RSA00-AMBAJ3-US)

Cooler Master HAF X (RC-942-KKN1)

Ok, so I assembled everything, putting the SSD in the SATA3_0 slot (not the gSATA), entered the BIOS and optimized defaults, set the SATA to AHCI and installed Windows 8. Get it installed and the performance is terrible; super slow. Check the SSD with AS SSD and it benchmarks around 70 Mb/s read and write.

Checked the motherboard BIOS version and it is F10. Installed Intel chipset update, still nothing. Then noticed CPU is a constant 60-70%.

I'm now performing a fresh install with IDE just to see if it makes a difference. I know my info is sketchy and probably lacking due to lack of sleep (rig was assembled one-handed while holding newborn son), but I'll add anything if I remember.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tired Dad
November 13, 2012 2:37:56 PM

Don't install with IDE. Set it back to AHCI and make sure your SSD is plugged into one of the INTEL SATA 6Gb/s ports either SATA3_0 or SATA3_1. Your board also has SATA 6gb/s ports through an onboard Marvell controller. Don't use the Marvell ports, use the Intel SATA 6gb/s port for your SSD. Then re-install Windows and let Windows automatically partition the SSD however it likes. When you first installed Windows did you mess around creating custom partitions or anything like that? You can also try updating your SSD's firmware according to the manufacturer's instructions. Do that before trying to reinstall.
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:54:12 PM

Ok, I'll give it another go. It's definitely in the SATA3 (white port directly below the gray GSATA ports). Each time I've installed I've deleted the partitions and let Windows do its thing. The SSD already has the latest firmware (2.25).

I just read something about an AHCI driver pre-install for this board: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3.... Know anything about it?
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 6:00:37 PM

Ok. got it freshly reinstalled and it is running very slowly. If I open IE it crawls and the pages have to be recovered half of the time.

I'm trying to get AS SSD installed but it is moving so slow it will take a while. I checked the performance monitor and the CPU is at 60% when the system is idle. RAM is 4%. I have two processes running that are over 20% CPU each: Windows Module Installer Worker and Spooler Subsystem App.
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:28:12 AM

It's making me d/l .NET in order to install AS SSD but I am posting this from the new system. It is extremely slow, I have to wait for the letters to catch up and I 'm not a typist! Anyone else have any ideas or am I on y own now?
m
l
November 14, 2012 1:55:51 AM

Wow, I'm an idiot. It suddenly dawned on me that I plugged the new psu into my old system's ups. I plugged the new system into the wall and now it screams!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2012 2:56:20 AM

That makes NO sense.
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:42:05 PM

Yeah, that was a healthy dose of false positive and wishful thinking. It did seem better, but soon had more problems. I ended up returning the motherboard for an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and now everything works. I guess the board was just bad all along.
m
l
!