Sign in with
Your question

Attn. HD5850 owners. You will probably be able to help me.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 1:48:10 PM

So I just recently bought two HD5850's to replace a GTX 295 (which was also playing up, that's what I got the Radeons)
One is a made by Sapphire and the other is the Gigabyte OC'd Edition. I uninstalled all of my previous drivers (nVidia) and shut down my system.
I wanted to try each card on it's own first just to make sure everything was sweet. I put the Gigabyte card in first, plugged the two 6-pins in from my psu and turned my computer on.
I get the ASRock Post screen with press f2 to configure UEFI and stuff but then after that my monitor comes up with "loss of signal".
Windows is still running as I can hear the sounds as it logs in.
I did run my comp once with the card in but the graphics were set to drive off my mobo integrated. Once logged in I could go to device manager and see that under display adaptors was listed Radeon HD5800 series and it said that there were no errors.
The Sapphire card goes in and works straight away. 100% no problems, recognises the card and windows automatically searches for software and drivers etc..
Windows did the same for the Gigabyte card when I booted with it in and was running onboard graphics.
I also have just recently tested them in Crossfire (my original intention for the two cards) and the computer works and boots up with no problem. This is using the Sapphire in my x16 and the Gigabyte in the other 8x or 4x?
Catalyst recognises the two cards in Crossfire and gives you the options for it. I played Mass Effect 1 on highest settings for like 5 minutes with no problems. I tried to run 3DMark11 but once the first test loaded up my screen went black and machine froze up, no display coming back, esc and ctrl-alt-delete didn't work either. Not sure if thats the card/s or the program though.
Anyone have any suggestions because I dont want to run these cards together if one isn't working.
I saw some similar posts on forums but with no successful outcome.

System specs are below,

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first system and I built it only a week ago only with the first graphics card to fail. I just want to play some games!

Sincerely,
Ryan

More about : attn hd5850 owners

September 17, 2012 2:34:08 PM

Sounds like a possible heat or power issue. From your sig, your PSU is sufficient to power the 2 HD5850s. That being said, how hot are they getting?

Also, have you disabled the integrated video in your BIOS? Or, do you intend to use Lucid Virtu as well?
September 17, 2012 2:35:45 PM

Are you running the latest catalyst driver release? They've fixed quite a few Crossfire related issues. Also install the Catalyst application profiles.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 2:39:54 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Are you running the latest catalyst driver release? They've fixed quite a few Crossfire related issues. Also install the Catalyst application profiles.

+1. This should also be part of the final solution.
September 17, 2012 2:56:37 PM

No I don't play on using integrated graphics at all, nor do I want to use Lucid Virtu. I haven't checked the temps on either of them yet, I will do though. My main focus is troubleshooting the Gigabyte card. Cause there is nothing wrong with the Sapphire one, it works perfectly fine. I have the latest Catalyst download. I just got it off the website about 5 hours ago.
September 17, 2012 3:02:38 PM

As I understand your original post, the Gigabyte HD5850 acted up when it was the only one installed. Correct?

September 17, 2012 3:36:41 PM

Correct. It would get to post screen and then, boom, loss of signal. Connected via DVI (1 of the 2) Tried both. Doesnt make a difference.
September 17, 2012 3:40:33 PM

Have you tried the Gigabyte in another system? It sounds like that particular GPU may be defective, at this point.

Did you buy it new or used?
September 17, 2012 3:44:43 PM

No I haven't yet. I bought it used. Would it still be defective if it comes up in device manager okay and every other hardware scan i do says its fine and installed correctly?
September 17, 2012 3:49:46 PM

The loss of signal issue, immediately after the BIOS post, indicates a possible problem with the GPU. I assume you don't see any of the normal Windows loading stuff, right?

Checking out in another system will help to isolate the problem.
September 17, 2012 3:51:45 PM

I tend to call it bad card, using saphire card fine, using Gigabyte one fail. CFX work only till them both get maks performance state...

it ruled out power issue, ruled out mobo issue...
Thing left to check is driver (left over nvi driver), and check the card of any damage (loose heatsink / connector)
September 17, 2012 3:58:03 PM

has anyone told him to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS? this will solve the issue with the loss of signal when booting into windows....to do this go into the BIOS and set the primary graphics adapter to PEG or PCIE.....to me it doesnt sound like a faulty card at all...if it worked fine in game but not 3dmark then it seems like a software issue.....once you disable the onboard graphics try updating to the latest drivers as advised earlier.
September 17, 2012 3:59:23 PM

Ill have to do a few more tests. Unfortunately I have no other computer to test it in.
I can still try hdmi to my tv or something. then it could be a busted dvi.
I thought i saw the heatsink just hovering over the processor but i thought i was just seeing things. will have to check that too.
i just need to differentiate between driver issue (possible hope in the future) or gpu fail ( i bought it off a dude in the city, i have his number and spoken to him already. Im pretty sure he will refund me.)
but yeah not sure what the final problem is...
September 17, 2012 4:00:37 PM

^^ read my post and give that a shot before you call up the guy asking for a refund.
September 17, 2012 4:01:24 PM

drums101 said:
has anyone told him to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS? this will solve the issue with the loss of signal when booting into windows....to do this go into the BIOS and set the primary graphics adapter to PEG or PCIE.....to me it doesnt sound like a faulty card at all...if it worked fine in game but not 3dmark then it seems like a software issue.....once you disable the onboard graphics try updating to the latest drivers as advised earlier.

Im 99% sure I changed the primary vga to pic-e and not onboard. Ill check again but i am pretty sure its okay.
September 17, 2012 4:11:38 PM

does it matter if some cables on the card are running over the heatsink grill?
September 17, 2012 4:13:45 PM

you mean like the power cables to the gpu are touching the gpu heatsink? if so no this will not cause this issue but I would not be comfortable leaving them there the heatsink may get hot enough to melt the cable sleeving and that would suck
September 17, 2012 4:15:55 PM

ryanphoto said:
does it matter if some cables on the card are running over the heatsink grill?

Yes, they could be restricting the fan.
September 17, 2012 4:19:35 PM

No its the cables from the gpu's cooling fans. no they are not touching the fan in anyway, the fans are soaring to be honest.
September 17, 2012 4:23:00 PM

Understood. As drums 101 posted, touching the heatsink isn't a problem. So, the fan speed stays maxed out all of the time?
September 17, 2012 4:24:34 PM

Yeah they do. Full speed. Even after I hear some of the windows noises.
September 17, 2012 4:26:07 PM

Do they ever slow down? Also, is this true if only the Sapphire is installed as well?

BTW, you can tweak the fan speeds in Catalyst.
September 17, 2012 4:29:36 PM

no the fans never slow down, but even then, when i start my computer i have to put in a password before my desktop loads. do you think i should change this and let the card boot to my deskop on its own. because it only gets to the login screen (with no signal though, but i can hear it)
September 17, 2012 4:36:44 PM

They should spin down after Windows is fully loaded. It is normal for them to run at 100% for a couple of minutes at first until Catalyst verifies that they are functioning properly.

Even if left for a few minutes, they never slow down? Is your fan speed set to max or auto in catalyst?
September 17, 2012 4:40:51 PM

windows doesnt get fully loaded. i have to put in a password to load my desktop.
September 17, 2012 4:46:36 PM

whats flashing bios? or is that not necessary haha
or whats hotfixes? i found one guy in a forum who said he had similar problem and fixed it with 10.9 hotfix?
just trying to find solutions haha?
September 17, 2012 4:58:17 PM

ryanphoto said:
windows doesnt get fully loaded. i have to put in a password to load my desktop.

OK, then is should spin down after you get to the desktop. The password entry piece isn't part of the issue. Actually, it should spin down even if you leave it at the login screen.

Flashing the motherboard BIOS could help (not likely), but using the latest version could be useful. Also, if you are using the 12.8 drivers/Catalyst, you don't need an older hotfix.
September 17, 2012 5:01:22 PM

i am pretty sure my mobo bios is fully updated anyway. i was more talking the graphics card but i think it might just be a dud.
im just not sure what else do to right now? unless i take it somewhere and get it tested? or i can just hand it back and get my money and try and find another card? i will keep trying though, im just not sure what other steps to take.
suggestions?
September 18, 2012 4:23:54 AM

Buyer wont give me the money back for the card. He wont accept a return. What now haha?
September 18, 2012 7:29:06 AM

tough luck.. u might had to test to your friend rig or computer shop (u know well)...

In the end if it fail u wanna check if it still covered by manufacturer (Gigabyte) global warranty.....
September 18, 2012 12:54:28 PM

rdc85 said:
tough luck.. u might had to test to your friend rig or computer shop (u know well)...

In the end if it fail u wanna check if it still covered by manufacturer (Gigabyte) global warranty.....

+1. Check your warranty status to see if that is an option. Go to:

http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/customer-servi...

Good luck!
!