• Performance
  • AMD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:59:04 PM

Thought I would post this

http://www.techpowerup.com/172312/AMD-quot-Oland-quot-R...

It seems AMD are looking to release some new cards some time soon ? Or is it just marketing to try and get people to hold off on buying a Nvidia card ?

My favourite bit that I beleive is obviously PR rubbish is this bit.

Quote:
According to the source, the two HD 8800 series models, the HD 8870 "Oland XT" will up performance per Watt and cost-performance ratios over current HD 7800 series

Really.... so AMD are going to change tact and actually give us more performance for our money ?

I seriously doubt it, given the trend over the past couple of generations to reduce the performance price curve.
I welcome it if it is true but have a feeling that all they in fact will be doing is putting things back to where it was.
So in real terms giving nothing extra on the historical perf performance curve but pretending that they are.

Mactronix :) 

More about : amd cards coming

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 3:11:10 PM

im only doubting the info due to cost(280$?) to performance ratio on "said" specs at the moment.
a c 131 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 3:12:20 PM

Nice find.

AMD are around due for a new graphics card gen, they have always been 1/2 a yr ahead of Nvidia.

Of course they are going to claim that, you are getting more Performance-per-Dollar than the HD7800 cards at release. Just now we need more performance to do a relatively equivalent job :lol: 
And the Performance-per-Watt is a given considering that every processor upgrade reduces energy draw and increases performance.

I hope those prices are accurate, maybe AMD is trying to be mega-competitive and steal all of Nvidia's long term sales by providing newer, cheaper and more powerful hardware.

Anyway, more performance at a better cost can only be good cant it? Might even make Nvidia do an AMD like price cut on all their hardware and make top end cards available to the budget audiences.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:19:48 PM

Probably the same thing they did with the 6XXX series after the 5XXX. The 6850/6870 was slower than the 5850/5870, but due to later more efficient steppings they were able to get close or the same performance with less wattage, while being able to sell them at a cheaper price.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:20:53 PM

it makes sense the NV660 is a killer at 229 original price once cut down is going to be 180 bucks for GTX 580 performcance is going to be unheard of. Good on AMD for using the same tactic. Anyone who needs more than a 660 (non ti) will be so very happy.

The days of the 800 dollar 8800GTX ultra are gone...... top of the line 400 bucks seems a little more acceptable
September 17, 2012 3:26:57 PM

if you wanna do some more research, look at the spec sheets that 2ch put up, search 8800 2ch or something... too lazy to post link
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:32:56 PM

I'm wonder if there will be HD 8880 model.... :D  (I'll buy one if there is)
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 3:36:55 PM

rdc85 said:
I'm wonder if there will be HD 8880 model.... :D  (I'll buy one if there is)

has AMD ever done a #880 before? I don't really think they have. they are pretty loyal to their existing numbers., which happens to be

gen number, gpu family number, an odd number(5, 7, 9 usually) and a 0
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:48:30 PM

they need a 7775 for some reason I can not explain
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:35:14 PM

Yeah I read that and good point but I would think it will be a7790 and that sounds fair to me with the performance of a 5850 at half the peak power consumption and 1/8 at idle. Sounds like the winner the 5830 never was.

7775 should be 7770 with a 256 mem bus
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 4:37:44 PM

to be honest, its the one price point both competitors didn't make a card for this generation. there are a handful of people who would have bought a 7790 or a 650ti if they existed. it forces people with sub 200$ budgets for a long while to buy last gen cards.
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 4:50:19 PM

Quote:
AMD are around due for a new graphics card gen, they have always been 1/2 a yr ahead of Nvidia.

Always? More like lately.

Quote:
it makes sense the NV660 is a killer at 229 original price once cut down is going to be 180 bucks for GTX 580 performcance is going to be unheard of. Good on AMD for using the same tactic.

Uhm, have you heard of the 7850? Damn near GTX580 performance, but only uses ~130W and currently right around $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the link the thing that concerns me is the size. Notice we are comparing to the mid range 78xx series, not the 79xx. They also get many more transistors and die size goes up a lot as well. It seems AMD's small die strategy is going out the window.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:53:06 PM

They put a lot of these seemingly borked cards out to the aisan markets only. Its been happening for years.

Its about time we had a decent price war at and around the £100 mark (I'm in the UK) don't know what the equivalent price point is in the US or other countries.

At the moment both companies seem very reluctant to actually tip over into the sweet spot for consumers, which is a little lower than the companies want to be selling their main volume of cards at.

A month ago the 560Ti was a steal if you considered its over clocking potential , however things change and with price cuts that Nvidia seem unwilling to match you would be mad not to buy a 7850 instead these days.

Below this you have the 7770 which is at a very good price performance ratio for those upgrading from a lower powered set up but falls short of being an upgrade for all those sitting on 5850 type performance.
The 6950 is older tech and is priced stupidly high as is the 560Ti.

So come on AMD/Nvidia give us the 650Ti and the 7790/7830.

a c 176 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 4:57:32 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hold up is. We've had the low end and high end for awhile now. The $150-$200 market for new cards doesn't seem to be going right now. AMD has gave us cards, but Nvidia's is lacking. If the yields on the GK104 are as bad as some say, you would think they would be disabling the chips and selling them as something else. But where are they?
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 6:41:51 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:

Quote:
it makes sense the NV660 is a killer at 229 original price once cut down is going to be 180 bucks for GTX 580 performcance is going to be unheard of. Good on AMD for using the same tactic.

Uhm, have you heard of the 7850? Damn near GTX580 performance, but only uses ~130W and currently right around $200.

As for the link the thing that concerns me is the size. Notice we are comparing to the mid range 78xx series, not the 79xx. They also get many more transistors and die size goes up a lot as well. It seems AMD's small die strategy is going out the window.

Let me bring your quote of my statement into reality, if you buy the top of the line 7850 and overclock it beyond what is generally possible then yes it is a competitor or if you buy the reg version with no voltage controls and a slightly better after market cooler then overclock your more in 570 range
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 6:43:09 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:

Quote:

BUT ... what you linked isa pretty damn fine card according to reviews.
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 7:46:54 PM

I was trying to point out that AMD already did what Nvidia finally got around to doing. They have had a card out that gives you GTX580 level performance, and only needs one PCIe 6pin plug to do it. Same tactic? They did it first.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 7:51:28 PM

mmm the 560 is in a far better position edging out the 7850 by a margin but priced just under the 7870 and I my have mentioned it in another thread if you need more than the 660 can provide anything less than the absolute best is a waste
a c 241 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 9:38:53 PM

Fall is typically the time for new GFX releases tho nVidia has slipped the last two generations. Many pundits believe nVidia has at least three cards sitting on the shelf. The thought is the 660, 670 and 680 were originally the 640, 650 and 660 ... which would mean ... if true ..... that "big kepler" is just sitting on the shelf.

This might be a way to sniff out just what's what......it might be a way to generate some press in that despite the 6+ month lead in release dates, late comer nVidia's sales of current gen products have already passed AMD's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/368533-33-people-buyi...

It's all just conjecture until the products hit the shelves and the test benches.

a c 86 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 17, 2012 11:03:01 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Fall is typically the time for new GFX releases tho nVidia has slipped the last two generations. Many pundits believe nVidia has at least three cards sitting on the shelf. The thought is the 660, 670 and 680 were originally the 640, 650 and 660 ... which would mean ... if true ..... that "big kepler" is just sitting on the shelf.

Seems a bit optimistic when you think of how cautious Nvidia has been with the price cuts. If they really were dealing with GPUs intended to be for the budget end of the market, it seems to me they'd have been a lot more aggressive with the price cuts. Instead, it's AMD that has been slashing prices like crazy.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:13:22 PM

Big Kepler is reserved for the professional market for the time being. The yields are probably not great at the moment and they already have a large order for the"Titan" super computer.
What cards they have are going to professional applications for now, the profit margin is far greater in the professional market.
Its not like they need a faster card now anyway is it.

http://flyingsuicide.net/news/first-nvidia-kepler-gk110...

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 19, 2012 12:26:39 AM

there were moderately some advantages nvidia had when creating the 6xx line with gk 104s instead of 110s. one was that AMD's card being entirely new set a line in such a way that nvidia only needed to approximate their card potential to competitively compete with the counterpart and charge accordingly, since AMD's cards this generation really raised the price of the highest end card(which disappointed many gamers as the average cost of a top tier card has gradually increased) being able to charge more for nvidias middlish higher models. for the same price. The only thing i'm questioning now is if these AMD card prices are sorta correct, and if the next gen cards will indeed will be gk 110, how will nvidia keep the price down(gamers wise) to the point where the card is acceptable for the cost, as the current 8800 prices are aggressively low(also assuming that the 8900 will be no more than like 120$+ these prices additional.)
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:06:37 AM

mactronix said:
Big Kepler is reserved for the professional market for the time being. The yields are probably not great at the moment and they already have a large order for the"Titan" super computer.
What cards they have are going to professional applications for now, the profit margin is far greater in the professional market.
Its not like they need a faster card now anyway is it.

http://flyingsuicide.net/news/first-nvidia-kepler-gk110...

They already sold out due to high demand and from pre-orders, gaming wise I don't know how much of an advantage that it will have over the other Kepler era cards but I am guessing that there will be a few surprises. Besides being massive and likely matching GTX580 power and heat requirements it will also be expensive. There is a consumer version but they will be rare for maybe as much as weeks after first launch. Maybe it will knock down the 680 down a few spaces price wise.
!