Sign in with
Your question

PC shut down unexpectedly

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 5:14:37 PM

Hello, so recently I came to the conclusion that my motherboard had died. It would power up and everything but would not post. I took it to get diagnosed (I even asked on here) and it just came out as dead. So I changed out the motherboard with a brand new one and it had been working fine until just now (2 weeks). I was just in the middle of doing homework and it just stopped; everything was still "on" (fans) but the display was black, the power button wouldn't shut off the computer either, I had to shut it off completlely through the power supply switch.

Motherboard: Asus M5A88-M
Graphics: Asus HD4870
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4
Power: OCZ 700w
Ram: G.Skill DDR3-1600 4GBx3

the old motherboard was as Asus M4A78T-E if that's necessary

Please any help would be much appreciated.
Also should I return the motherboard if needed? I bought it off newegg and should still be able to refund/swap it.

More about : shut unexpectedly

a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 5:33:38 PM

Take all the components out of the case and only use the bare essentials: PSU, motherboard, and graphics card, and one single stick of RAM. If it is able to POST, then try adding the HDD. See if there is a pattern of use you could see that causes it to fail. (High cpu use, high gpu use, etc.)

Check windows event viewer to see if there is anything being reported that could be clues.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 5:39:57 PM

Hi,

I'm suspecting the psu is old and probably defective. I would test out with a working one and change it if that is the problem.

You could also check temperatures.

Can you boot in safe mode. If so do it with networking and download speedfan, realtemp, HWMonitor to check that out.

Good luck
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 5:49:17 PM

Are you absolutely sure your last motherboard was dead? Seems unlikely that two motherboards in a row are at fault, locking up/not posting could be symptoms of bad RAM. If I were you I'd want to definitively rule out memory first (use memtest or use some spare memory if you have any). After that I'd look at the PSU (you can use a stress test tool such as OCCT or Linpack etc. for this), and if it doesn't seem to be those there are other possibilities we can explore.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:05:41 PM

Hey thanks all for replying. Just got back from classes so sorry for late reply

About the PSU: I did the paperclip test that someone else recommended and the power supple passed that. But I went and out and got a different one and ran a new mobo with it and my power supply was fine. I actually hooked mine up to 3 different mobos/setups and they ran fine.

@Illumina the last mobo was for sure dead, I hooked up a different PSU to it and it wouldn't boot or anything. I took it to a couple shops and a friend and and i watched them hook it up with there stuff and it did nothing.

I took out the ram and replaced it with one stick of my old Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2GBx2. It's working totally fine now. Is it possible that the ram is just incompatible? my last mobo died after about 3 weeks from using the G.Skill but I was not 100% sure that was the reason since the computer was a gift anyway. But now it does seem suspect. Do you guys think the board suffered any damage at all? Should I replace it with a new one since I still have 30 days?
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:45:38 PM

Nevermind it just died again. I'm not sure what to try out first...

Since it wont put up anything on screen I dont think I can check temperature or anything else through software.
m
l
!