New Mage/Werewolf Predictions?

Well, now that some of us have had time to sink our teeth into the new
WoD...Based on the handling of Vampire, what do you think is likely to
happen with Werewolf and Mage? Will we still have Tribes and Factions,
Gifts and Spheres? Do you think they'll follow the same pattern as
VampReq (some new Traditions, while the old Traditions relegated to
Crafts)? Any elements of WoD chargen you see easily fitting in with
the two new games or any that don't seem like they'll work (I'm not
too sure about Morality in Werewolf, for ex)?

If you're right, you get bragging rights, so let's hear some ideas!

(One thing I correctly predicted, for example, was that there would be
almost no emphasis on "millenium fever"...after all, if they just
ended the world, what would be the point of creating a new setting
with yet another "imminent doom" hanging over it? But since Werewolf's
whole point was the near apocalypse, it'll be interesting to see how
it does without...)

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Well, now that some of us have had time to sink our teeth into the new
> WoD...Based on the handling of Vampire, what do you think is likely to
> happen with Werewolf and Mage? Will we still have Tribes and Factions,
> Gifts and Spheres? Do you think they'll follow the same pattern as
> VampReq (some new Traditions, while the old Traditions relegated to
> Crafts)? Any elements of WoD chargen you see easily fitting in with
> the two new games or any that don't seem like they'll work (I'm not
> too sure about Morality in Werewolf, for ex)?

> If you're right, you get bragging rights, so let's hear some ideas!

Werewolf will be like Vampire in that Auspices will be like Clans, and
Tribes will be like Covenants.

Which is to say, your Auspice is inborn, but your Tribe can be changed.

Mages will be crazy.

> (One thing I correctly predicted, for example, was that there would be
> almost no emphasis on "millenium fever"...after all, if they just
> ended the world, what would be the point of creating a new setting
> with yet another "imminent doom" hanging over it? But since Werewolf's
> whole point was the near apocalypse, it'll be interesting to see how
> it does without...)

I agree. The new Werewolf, with the Quarterly's mention of "those
freakish rats and spiders," looks almost as if it's set smack dab in the
middle of the War of Rage, only set in modern times.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Well, now that some of us have had time to sink our teeth into the new
> WoD...Based on the handling of Vampire, what do you think is likely to
> happen with Werewolf and Mage? Will we still have Tribes and Factions,
> Gifts and Spheres? Do you think they'll follow the same pattern as

I suspect that werewolves will still divide themselves into Tribes
and mages into Traditions. I hesitate to guess any more than that since
I never played Werewolf and Mages are just too hard to predict anyway.
Mage in particular will be interesting to see. After all, this is
White Wolf's big chance to clean up the system, on the other hand it's
hard to imagine how they might change the magic system without
relenqiushing the "mages can do anything, period" atmosphere (that much
I predict - I hope - will remain intact.)

> VampReq (some new Traditions, while the old Traditions relegated to
> Crafts)? Any elements of WoD chargen you see easily fitting in with
> the two new games or any that don't seem like they'll work (I'm not
> too sure about Morality in Werewolf, for ex)?

I suspect Morality in Werewolf will be similar to Humanity for
vampires, in that whole "fighting down the raging beast" aspect.
Failing that, it will probably just be one part of the template that
remains unaltered (ie: it will work the way it does in the WoD book.)
This is one thing I like about the new set up: if you want your
werewolves to have Humanity issues like Vampires, you can fairly easily
substitute the Humanity from V:tR into W:tF, if not you can leave it
alone and go with Morality. The new system not only allows for
crossover, but it makes customizing the game to suit your tastes much
easier too.

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2p6o89Fh7g2aU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> I agree. The new Werewolf, with the Quarterly's mention of "those
> freakish rats and spiders," looks almost as if it's set smack dab in the
> middle of the War of Rage, only set in modern times.

Someone's probably already suggested this theory, but the other day it
occurred to me that maybe werewolves in the new game are forsaken in
the sense they've been ejected or exiled from the larger shapechanging
community for doing something not unlike the War of Rage that wiped
out the other Changing Breeds in WtA.

Tyler