Sign in with
Your question

Splicing power supplies

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2001 10:50:36 PM

Anyone know how to splice power supplies? Or know where i could learn how to? I would really appreciate this... thx in advance
November 14, 2001 1:06:27 AM

Um......

Splice it to what?

Where?

How?

When?

To what extent?

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2001 1:41:39 AM

I want to splice together the 20 pins that connect from each motherboard (20 or 4, if you ever built a system, you know what i'm talking about) from two power supplies. A friend of mine did it but he's not much of a person who explains very well. I just want to hook up like two 450 watt or so power supplies into one system. Thing is... they need to connect to the motherboard. There's only one 20 pin plug on each motherboard thus only one can be connected, but if you splice it, two can be connected. get my drift?
Related resources
November 14, 2001 11:42:39 AM

I'd call that 'running two psu's parallel'. You can run two concurrently with a relay, no problemo.

Give it a whirl. You might melt a psu, melt a mainboard lead, knock out a processor/vid. card on a permanent basis, or even a hard drive.

At the very least, I'd go with two supplies that have the exact same wattage, physically look identical (except for the placement of the 'pot ok' stickers) which includes manufacturer, and run off the same power cord (i.e. spliced into). Even a .1v difference can cause some interesting current flows through those transformers.

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2001 8:13:33 PM

camieabz... thx, rly helpful site
November 14, 2001 11:49:15 PM

Yeah, that's a concurrent psu site. He's looking for a parallel connection, which no one has tried and posted yet.

!