Sign in with
Your question

High pitched Noise from my new build

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 5:20:36 PM

Hello Tom's Hardware,

I am a bit confused about what is giving me a high pitched noise in my PC.

specs:

Antec One (chassis)
Asrock z77 pro3
Gelid Tranquillo Rev 2
2 scythe case fans
DVD drive
hdd
Samsung 830 SSD
Sapphire HD 7870 OC
i5 2500k
kingston 8gb RAM
OCZ ModXStream 600 watt.

Now the high pitched noise is really hearable and im wondering what it is, i think the motherboard let me explain what i tried:

First i disconnected the dvd drive because i thought it was the dvd drive. No success high pitch still there
Then i disconnected the videocard but the high pitch was still there :( 
First i had 2 default case fans of the antec one and the stock cooler, that time i still had that high pitched noise and hoped with a new pair of fans (scythe slipstream 120mm 800rpm x2 and Gelid Tranquillo Rev 2) that the high pitched sound would be gone. But no success.

I listened to the psu that lays down on the bottom of the chassis but it is very quiet. And the sound seems to come from where my RAM is installed but i guess RAM cant make weird noises.

So do you think it is the motherboard? and the biggest question: Can i RMA it for a highly pitched noise that is well.. not nice to hear? Thanks :) 
November 13, 2012 5:23:32 PM

What type of hard drive do you have?
November 13, 2012 5:25:00 PM

What about hdd?
Related resources
November 13, 2012 5:25:17 PM

Illumina said:
What type of hard drive do you have?

I got the Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AZRX but i dont think the noise is coming from there. Its pretty loud.. i hear it from 1.5 meters distance
November 13, 2012 5:32:49 PM

Hey, you seem to know your way around pc, so just to make sure, turn it off, disconnect hdds sata and power cables and try to turn it (pc) on. Well, if you dont have another hdd to swap out you current one.
Also you didn't mention, is it always noisy or from time to time?
November 13, 2012 5:54:57 PM

butremor said:
Hey, you seem to know your way around pc, so just to make sure, turn it off, disconnect hdds sata and power cables and try to turn it (pc) on. Well, if you dont have another hdd to swap out you current one.
Also you didn't mention, is it always noisy or from time to time?

Hey man, i tried unplugging the HDD, and guess what.. Noise is gone! :o  i dont know if this is good or a bad thing. At least its not the entire motherboard.. :D  and the noise was all the time BTW

The question now is, i just bought this PC, Do you think i can have a RMA because of the really annoying high pitched noise?

Like to hear what others think if I can return it for this matter ;) 
November 13, 2012 5:58:12 PM

I believe that its the hdd thats bad, or going to go bad. If it is the hdd is making a noise you should be able to RMA it.
November 13, 2012 6:10:04 PM

Well you say you just bought that PC, which means you still have warranty active, so go return that faulty hdd. It's a shame though that you can't put another hdd in your build, because hdd maybe is faulty, or maybe not and something makes it to screech, and when you get new hdd it will be screeching too. Ofc that's unlikely scenario, but still a possibility. Anyways good luck with that RMA
November 13, 2012 8:48:08 PM

Thanks all, i have requested a RMA now lets see what happens ...
!