Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4gb VRAM quick question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 4:19:17 PM

Hello guys!

i have read everywhere that 4gb isn't very useful for 1080p. and that it will only be useful when used with higher resolutions. i do plan on going with a 3 monitor setup and will get a 2nd card later, but for now i will stick with 1 card and 1 monitor. (space limitations in apartment prohibits me)

so would running games with the 4gb FTW+ card be bad for awhile using just 1 monitor? or am i future proofing myself as i do indeed plan on getting 2 more monitors and a 2nd video card later? is the $100 diff between the 2gb and 4gb not worth it even in SLI?

thanks and have a good day
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 4:38:36 PM

The main points are, will you use it? most of games will run even at maximum settings with 2gb even at resolutions higher than 3 monitors x 1080p, but the main problem, is how much do you demand from your games? because if you lower some setting like Anti-Aliasing, you will be able to run games using much less memomy making those extra 4gb useless.

But if you really can't see a game with every single settings maxed out (even at the gpu control panel) you may need the extra 4gb... but for normal use balancing antialiasing settings and other memory demanding settings you can play any game with a good gpu, without much memory limitations.

More recent games are investing in new antialiasing technologies like the FXAA which uses much less memory than the commonly used MSAA. and can give a great quality result.

But if you are really demanding on maximum antialiasing, and are looking over for Multimonitor 3D gaming you will need that extra memory...
September 17, 2012 4:53:08 PM

i probably won't do multimonitor 3d gaming.. but i'm sure i will invest into multimonitor 60hz gaming later on.

i am coming from a laptop, so all these ultra max settings are going to be all new to me (and i wont find much differences between AA on or off at least for awhile until i get used to not playing on 20fps anymore :D )

this is a big upgrade, so im just making sure that when i DO buy a 2nd video card and do SLI later, that i will be okay.

but it seems that 2gb for single and SLI would be enough anyway.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 5:02:24 PM

Best answer selected by frankietown.
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 5:02:30 PM

frankietown said:
i probably won't do multimonitor 3d gaming.. but i'm sure i will invest into multimonitor 60hz gaming later on.

i am coming from a laptop, so all these ultra max settings are going to be all new to me (and i wont find much differences between AA on or off at least for awhile until i get used to not playing on 20fps anymore :D )

this is a big upgrade, so im just making sure that when i DO buy a 2nd video card and do SLI later, that i will be okay.

but it seems that 2gb for single and SLI would be enough anyway.

yes you will probably be ok with 2gb, 100$ extra por 2gb doesn't worth it.

Also, Thinking too ahead in the future is not always safe, if it is soon ok, but if it will take some time, probably when we get there, you will get a cheaper card that will give you better performance than Sli'ing the one you bought before.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 7:07:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!