Kids PC - too cheap?

twelve25

Distinguished
My kids (3-10) mainly play web-browser based games and watch cartoons on the computer. But they are ALWAYS hogging my nice gaming rig! Time for another PC. I was thinking I could go really cheap, since they just do web stuff. What do you guys think of this build, too cheap? Our main computer is a nice i5, SSD and Radeon 7850 system so I don't want it to seem TOO crappy for them, but again, all they use is the web browser.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nC1e
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nC1e/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nC1e/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($56.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 350W ATX Power Supply ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft Keyboard 200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Wired Optical Mouse ($8.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $237.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-13 16:44 EST-0500)

Despot96

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
For storage you better pick real HDD of 240GB or even more. Its same price as SSD and its better because when SSD is getting full it slow down. So you kinds can also install lot of games if the want later. Its same price but more space. You just listed CPU because you just want to use integrated GPU right? Build is solid for needs.

malbluff

Honorable
Obviously, I don't know what your children are like. Not wishing to be sexist, but if your eldest is a boy, I can virtually guarantee if his PC isn't capable of some games, by the time he's 12, he'll be back on yours again.
Possibly good psychology to have it as close to similar to yours, even if it doesn't have anything like the power, as possible. Obviously not a problem with the younger one, but the less the older child is "jealous" of dad's, the better.

twelve25

Distinguished
Well, again, the requirements were just for web-browser based games. The kids are all girls, but I can't guarantee they won't game in the future. But I really didn't expect a $200-300 PC to be future proof anyway.

Maybe I could bump to a 450W PSU which would at least let me drop a 7770 or future equivalent in there in a couple years if needed. And with it being socket 1155, I could run just about any CPU upgrade in there.

As for the SSD, again, right now it is going to have a web browser and an OS. Maybe LibreOffice. It's not going to hold any data.

Budget isn't anything in particular other than cheap, but no so cheap I am buying something I want to toss in 12 months. I will have to buy a 19 or 20" LCD to go with it, too.