How will this HTPC build handle gaming

Hey guys and gals, I am new to the HTPC realm (first build) and I have a question for you pro's out there. How will this build handle hardcore gaming?

Intel core i5 Ivy Bridge
SSD for OS
2 TB Western Digital HD
LG 14x BD Drive
G-Skill Sniper 16gb ram
GTX 570 Graphics card
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
Silverstone GT07 Case

Thanks up front for any input.
6 answers Last reply
More about htpc build handle gaming
  1. Good case choice - I have a Silverstone HTPC case and it's excellent. However there's no point in purchasing a GTX 570 - get a Radeon 7950 or a GTX 660TI instead, those are far better GPUs. Also no point in 16GB RAM for gaming. Also power supply is important - make sure you get a good one from Corsair or Seasonic.
  2. It should be an excellent gamer! I agree with the last comment that if you don't already have the GTX570, then you'd want to get one of the newer cards at the same price point that are a little less power hungry and run cooler. If you already have the 570, then it's still a very relevant card and game on!
  3. -cut the ram to 8gb. there is some patriot ram on sale at newegg
    -cut on the board. overkill.
    -get a less power hungry card. a 660ti or a 7870 will do
    -make sure you get yourself a samsung 830
    -i use seagates but WD is good as well

id get this
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nGOU

and this case. similar to the GT07 but has sound dampening and is 30 bucks cheaper. you can use a regular tower case and save even more though
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75057&promoid=1230
  4. Guys, thanks for the information. I bought the Samsung 840 based on your recommendations. Also for power supply I have the Seasonic X series X650. How is that power supply?
    Thanks
  5. Foamit said:
    Guys, thanks for the information. I bought the Samsung 840 based on your recommendations. Also for power supply I have the Seasonic X series X650. How is that power supply?
    Thanks

Excellent choice. Can't go wrong with Seasonic.
  6. you do know that the samsung 840 is worse than most ansyc flash right? the 840 pro is the one that you buy

the x650 is a bit overkill. step down to something like a xfx 550w
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems