Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for multi-boot Linux system (with Win 8 on a partition)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2012 2:00:44 AM

Hello,

My husband has Ubuntu, Open SUSE, Fedora, another Linux OS or two, and Windows 8 on his PC, which has an AMD FX 6100 CPU on an ASUS M5A97 MB with 22 GBs of RAM, 3- 500 GB hard drives, etc. I installed an ASUS geForce 210 Silent graphics card with PhysX by nVidia with 1 GB DDR3. He has an ACER 19-inch monitor.

He had taken a break from his usual computing activity of installing new releases of operating systems and creating nested virtual machines on them.

His video resolution reset itself and now only displays low res under Linux. I had to reset the display in Windows manually to 1620 by 1080. We tried downloading the newer Linux driver for the GeForce, but it didn't help.

He's not a gamer doesn't create graphics, so doesn't need anything fancy.

We want to return the 210 Silent and get something that will better with the Linux OSs,

Any suggestions?
September 18, 2012 4:12:25 AM

Meant to add--Got the 210 because a Linux forum said it worked well with Ubuntu etc.

Meant to say--"something that will work better."

m
l
September 22, 2012 4:32:48 AM

Problem solved!

After reading about nVidia driver problems with Linux on several forums, getting a GeForce 520 graphics card (newer cards may have more issues than older models), installing it (same problem), doing more searches, much drama, etc., the problem is solved.

My husband read on some forum that resetting the CMOS can solve the problem. So I did it and it worked!

Happy day here.. :wahoo: 
m
l
!