Router which allows one PC only to access internet?

lowella

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking for a router that will let me hook up one PC to internet and have the rest of the network detached from the internet and all security issues, but still able to get to that one PC (and vice versa)....I don't want to do this with two network cards so am looking for a quick & easy hardware solution, if it exists....

I am not a networking guru so hoping for an easy answer if possible.

Thank you!
lowella

Solution

The D-Link manual calls it Access Control.

lowella

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I guess the manuals leave a lot to be desired, I see a lot of stuff about a demilitarized zone (DMZ) host but I don't see anything like the above in the manuals for the two routers I have. Thanks for the reply though, I will search some more.

lowella

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks, I thought of this actually but it's not just that I don't want them accessing the internet, I don't want the internet accessing THEM...they have sensitive medical records on them. :) Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

If you are behind a router, there is very little chance anyone can access them. It would have to be a direct attack on the computers for that to happen. To secure things the way you want, setup a proxy server computer, hook that up to the router, and have the PCs use that. That way the computers are not connected to the router, only the proxy server is.

lowella

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I understand this concept but when I put the PC in place as a proxy server, it slows the internal network down a LOT....is this due to the PC or the router? Isn't there an easier way than dedicating a PC? I am looking for a router with a LAN+internet port and then a LAN port only.