Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please review my build (beginner)

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2012 2:19:44 AM

Hey guys. This is my first time building a computer, so "101" language would be highly appreciated.

I was wondering if you all could review my build and make recommendations. Everything I post here is not set in stone, and i'd really appreciate it if you could be as descriptive as possible as to why you suggest why you suggest. For example, my cousin told me that the two components that need the most research is the PSU and the motherboard.

I will be purchasing these from Microcenter, Amazon, and newegg.

(I will buy the CPU and motherboard from microcenter for sure since I can get a discount from them).

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX----- ($98)

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - $169

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR -$229

Builder Series CX600 600 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply- $69 (PLEASE RECOMMEND SOMETHING ELSE IF YOU CAN).

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack -$91

As far as CPU cooler, RAM, Motherboard, Case, and DVD/CD optical drive goes, I don't know what I need...Is there a specific case that I need that has space for my GPU/CD/DVD drive?

The motherboard is a big problem for me, because I have no clue what I should get and if I get the wrong one, it won't work.

Please post links as well.

Is there anything else I need to buy?

Also- what do you guys think about me buying an SSD for that fast boot up?

My budget is somewhere around $1,000. This is a gaming/everyday use machine, like movies, etc.

More about : review build beginner

November 14, 2012 2:49:31 AM

i would get this psu instead...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i have it and love it. made by superflower, which is an amazing brand.

and as long as you get an ATX case you'll have enough room for nearly anything you buy. for a cpu cooler get the hyper 212 evo. and as for an ssd, idk, i don't have one, and i'm fine with it. i would put the money towards getting a better GPU honestly.
m
l
November 14, 2012 3:08:15 AM

^I'd get an SSD. Once you try it, you can't go back - not only for boot times, but program load times, windows "responsiveness...", and so forth. I can log in, press any program, and it opens before I notice, even though antivirus is launching simultaneously.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 3:08:22 AM

+1 on the Capstone. It has maxed out +12v rail.

Get the ASRock z77 Extreme4 from Microcenter, $50 discount when bought with the 3570K. Loaded with features mostly found on more expensive boards from other brands.

I would get the 7870 instead of the 660. It outperforms at about the same price point and is more or less on par with the $300~ 660 Ti. It also has a bigger bandwidth.

Corsair CX series is mediocre at best. Get the Capstone linked above or the XFX 550w(made by Seasonic).

You'll only need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you're going to OC. If so, cheapest yet one of the best is the Hyper 212 EVO.

Just take the cheapest DVD optical drive you can find, they all work the same(LiteOn iHAS most of the time).

As for the SSD, I call it somewhat a necessary luxury. :lol: 
You can't really go wrong and you'll enjoy the fast boot time of the system and programs and little to no loading time in games.
I suggest getting the OCZ Vertex 4 128gb. It's the most efficient one in the market so far.
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:41:04 AM

excella1221 said:
+1 on the Capstone. It has maxed out +12v rail.

Get the ASRock z77 Extreme4 from Microcenter, $50 discount when bought with the 3570K. Loaded with features mostly found on more expensive boards from other brands.

I would get the 7870 instead of the 660. It outperforms at about the same price point and is more or less on par with the $300~ 660 Ti. It also has a bigger bandwidth.

Corsair CX series is mediocre at best. Get the Capstone linked above or the XFX 550w(made by Seasonic).

You'll only need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you're going to OC. If so, cheapest yet one of the best is the Hyper 212 EVO.

Just take the cheapest DVD optical drive you can find, they all work the same(LiteOn iHAS most of the time).

As for the SSD, I call it somewhat a necessary luxury. :lol: 
You can't really go wrong and you'll enjoy the fast boot time of the system and programs and little to no loading time in games.
I suggest getting the OCZ Vertex 4 128gb. It's the most efficient one in the market so far.

Yeah I definitely second the suggestion of the 7870 - but get the GHz edition - it's completely worth the extra $20.

And yeah the SSD - I'd compare it to getting the navigation system on a car. Sure you could get one built in but then you could also get one later on and it would still be the same.

The Corsair CX750 is supposed to be good from what I hear, as is the CX600, I wouldn't get anything less.
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:44:52 AM

Hun, all of the 7870s are GHz Edition. :p 
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:53:54 AM

excella1221 said:

D'oh!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:56:02 AM

excella1221 said:

May I ask, what does GHz mean?

Which one should i go for?

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R787OC-2GD

or

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (11199-03-20G)

Or maybe another version?

When it comes to the GTX 660, what is the better version? EVGA, gigabyte, etc...

Lastly, i found this RAM that looked pretty good. What do you guys think?

Again, my apologies if my questions are "unintelligent." :D 

m
l

Best solution

November 14, 2012 5:02:40 AM

It means the stock clock is >= 1.0GHz.

It would be nice if you gave us links to the cards, but you can't really go wrong with either. If that's Gigabyte Windforce x3, I would get it since it's a great cooler. On the other hand, Sapphire has been with AMD longer and has made quality cards.

I wouldn't get the 660 since the 7870 is pretty much in the same price point and it outperforms it by a lot. But to answer your question, I would get the Gigabyte since EVGA uses reference cooling which would make the GPU hot under high load and would be bad in the long run.

I would get this RAM instead. Dun need the unnecessarily tall heat spreaders.
November 14, 2012 5:44:54 AM

excella1221 said:
It means the stock clock is >= 1.0GHz.

It would be nice if you gave us links to the cards, but you can't really go wrong with either. If that's Gigabyte Windforce x3, I would get it since it's a great cooler. On the other hand, Sapphire has been with AMD longer and has made quality cards.

I wouldn't get the 660 since the 7870 is pretty much in the same price point and it outperforms it by a lot. But to answer your question, I would get the Gigabyte since EVGA uses reference cooling which would make the GPU hot under high load and would be bad in the long run.

I would get this RAM instead. Dun need the unnecessarily tall heat spreaders.

Perfect. Thanks a lot!

Are there any compatibility issues with the 1.5v RAM that i posted before? Because I sort of already bought them... =/

Ive been reading many forums and it seems like some people are having trouble with the asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo's and 1.5v RAM
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:45:02 AM

No, it's fine. Never heard of the Extreme4 and 1.5v issue as well.
You'll be having a hard time installing a CPU cooler though with the tall heat spreaders.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:48:45 AM

Best answer selected by itechnique.
m
l
!