Computer only goes into BIOS at startup

Maki role

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, I've had this problem for a while on my new-ish computer, it's a full original build. Whenever I restart, or startup from shut down I have to enter the BIOS. It doesn't actually give me any option other than pressing F1 to go into setup. I've checked the order in BIOS in which it should try to boot from, changing it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

What's even more confusing is that when I try to start using Windows boot manager, it just goes into Startup repair and then fails to load at all. To get it to boot I have to enter advanced repair using a boot disc in my discdrive, then go to the memory diagnostic tool. Next I have to restart, enter windows boot manager and then cancel the memory test, it then puts me straight into the windows login screen? I have no clue what's going on there, the fact that it lets me log in fine and works seamlessly after that lengthy procedure is only more peculiar.

Here are my specs:
Asus P9X79 Pro
Intel 3930k S-e hexcore at 3.2GHz
2x Asus GTX 590 SLI
32 Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 at 1866
OCZ Agility 120GB
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Corsair AX1200 Gold PSU
Some DVD drive that I don't remember

If anybody has any clue as to what's going on then I would be very grateful. I'm sure it's just some careless oversight by me, but I can't figure it out.

Currently my boot order is: Windows boot manager > DVD drive > HDD
There's no option to put my SSD (which is where windows is actually installed) in that list for some reason, even though I can select it from the boot menu. When I do though I just get a black screen.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Do you get an option to enter the boot menu and select a boot device manually at startup?

If so what does it call your ssd?

Sometimes the bios splash screen (graphics/logo) can hide the part where it tells you what key to press to manually select a boot device (its usually f12).

If you have no luck with that, reinstall windows with only your ssd and dvd drive connected, get it working then add your other drive.

If you still have no luck, check for bios updates as your board is new and it may be a known issue.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Did anybody "play" with BIOS setting from when Windows was installed? A BIOS reset counts here.

Since you have 2 storage controllers and 2 SATA drives (HDD+SSD), It would be useful to know how they are connected.

Try to change the storage controller mode between AHCI/IDE/RAID (but make sure to remember what it was, just in case none work). Note: there are 2 controllers. Check the manual which of the white ports belong to the Marvell controller.

If none work, try manual booting from SSD. In boot sequence menu, it's under HDD category (since the MB does not differentiate HDDs to SSDs). This is a longshot, because the "Windows Boot Manager" entry in BIOS tells me Windows was installed using UEFI.

Maki role

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

It does give me the option in the menu, the SSD is labelled as OCZ Agility there; although that drive doesn't come up in the options for boot order.

I did try reinstalling windows earlier with just the drive, it was actually the first thing I did as even that drive was new meaning I needed to format it. I also checked for BIOS updates, I'm running the latest.

Didn't make a single BIOS change when I first started it up. It was my first build having been using an iMac for 6 years so I didn't want to take any chances and did everything by the book (or so I thought).

I'll have a check regarding the controllers, starting directly from the SSD yields only a black screen.

I am sure you didnt do this either, but did you change any hardware, because if you change a certain amount of parts, it can cause you to go into a continuous boot repair. and if you make it into windows, your copy is no longer genuine. I am sure since you said this is a new build, that won't be the case here.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Im pretty sure you have to change the sata mode to AHCI for an SSD drive. Unlpug your HDD so you only have the SSD and DVD installed.

Set sata to AHCI for the SSD (you may need to check which port number it is plugged into on the board) reinstall windows and it should boot.

Could it be a faulty SSD? you don't usually have to format them.