Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build for 850 Help: FINAL PART LIST

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2012 3:40:05 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Budget Range: 850.00(before shipping) US$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video editing, Photoshop, Multi-Media

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything but the PSU

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, TigerDirect, any trusted US website

Parts Preferences: What ever gets me the most power for my price

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe/I will be maybe 1 -2 years after

Your Monitor Resolution: Monitor 1(1680x1050) Monitor 2(1280x1024)

Additional Comments: I want to make sure what I have picked out is going not bottlekneck or run into any compatibility issues. Here is the list I have made:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Video Card/GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am getting into streaming and a lot more video editing, photoshop, and professional gaming. I want a PC that can tango with the best.

Best solution

November 14, 2012 3:47:02 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.79 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($224.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $788.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-14 00:46 EST-0500)

Never get an AMD CPU especially when you plan on gaming. I got you an SSD which would help in a lot of applications and of course games. 16gb is overkill for gaming but since you are going to do a lot of video editing, you really need the extra ram power.

WARNING: Best buy that HDD fast since I think it's on sale right now. That is the cheapest price for a 1tb since the flood happened.
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2012 3:57:03 AM

The Bulldozer series is horrible for gaming.
With your system usage of a mix of gaming and media creation, the Piledriver series and its modules/cores would be a good investment.

I suggest the FX-8320 with a matching AM3+ board, preferably 990FX so you get the 1600MHz native RAM frequency.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 4:05:22 AM

excella1221 said:
The Bulldozer series is horrible for gaming.
With your system usage of a mix of gaming and media creation, the Piledriver series and its modules/cores would be a good investment.

I suggest the FX-8320 with a matching AM3+ board, preferably 990FX so you get the 1600MHz native RAM frequency.

I wouldn't get the FX-8320, it's disappoint to say the least. It's hot and uses a lot of electricity and will always lose at gaming performance. I would get the Intel which may lose at some applications but will win at most parts.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2012 4:17:05 AM

I agree it uses a lot more power than the i5, but I don't think I've read anywhere about it being hot, at least not any more than Ivy Bridge.

Games are mostly GPU-reliant so it shouldn't be such a big deal. To me it looks like he has more media creation work and activities, so the 8320 would be a better buy.

Though he also mention "professional" gaming, as to what length that goes, I'm not sure but yea the i5 is better on single-threaded programs like games.
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:28:50 AM

excella1221 said:
I agree it uses a lot more power than the i5, but I don't think I've read anywhere about it being hot, at least not any more than Ivy Bridge.

Games are mostly GPU-reliant so it shouldn't be such a big deal. To me it looks like he has more media creation work and activities, so the 8320 would be a better buy.

Though he also mention "professional" gaming, as to what length that goes, I'm not sure but yea the i5 is better on single-threaded programs like games.

I think it's when they OC the CPUs, The 8320 compared to the i5 gets really hot by comparison. Although TC won't be doing this.
m
l
November 14, 2012 1:55:45 PM

cutebeans said:
I wouldn't get the FX-8320, it's disappoint to say the least. It's hot and uses a lot of electricity and will always lose at gaming performance. I would get the Intel which may lose at some applications but will win at most parts.

Got a few questions for you guys. Thank you for the fast reply's as well!

I am not understanding why the 8 core is less powerful then the i5. I am also streaming on twitch so wouldn't I need a more powerful CPU for that as well?

As for as case goes, would the case I picked out still work with your build or is there a reason for the mid tower case? I have always gone with full towers.

excella1221 said:

As for the professional gaming, I am starting up a organization for eSports so I also need a rig that can stream our events, and get videos and vods out with in hours.

Thank you again for the help, look forward to hearing from you guys!
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2012 9:30:39 PM

The 8320's architecture struggles on single-threaded performance like games, so you lose a couple of fps.

For your usage though, you'll probably benefit more from the 8320 since it will in no doubt render videos than the i5, and the modules will help in multitasking. Gaming-wise though, the i5 would give you better framerates on fairly cpu driven games.

It's worth noting though that on heavily GPU-reliant games like BF3, there is little to no difference in performance between the two.

Your full tower was fine. The mid tower was suggested so the budget could be met. I believe either would work okay.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:01:07 AM

excella1221 said:
The 8320's architecture struggles on single-threaded performance like games, so you lose a couple of fps.

For your usage though, you'll probably benefit more from the 8320 since it will in no doubt render videos than the i5, and the modules will help in multitasking. Gaming-wise though, the i5 would give you better framerates on fairly cpu driven games.

It's worth noting though that on heavily GPU-reliant games like BF3, there is little to no difference in performance between the two.

Your full tower was fine. The mid tower was suggested so the budget could be met. I believe either would work okay.

Ok and what about streaming? I have heared different on both ends. One says you want a better CPU and the other says you want a good GPU and ram.

I was also thinking. What if i upgraded my GPU to the GTX 660 ti and and new case. Then see how much better I get FPS wise and over all wise. The Core I have right now is AMD 9850 2.5ghz quad core black edition. Which from what I am told is still not a terrible CPU. Would It be better for me to start with the GPU upgrade that first and then go from there?
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:12:28 AM

Bazeleel said:
Ok and what about streaming? I have heared different on both ends. One says you want a better CPU and the other says you want a good GPU and ram.

I was also thinking. What if i upgraded my GPU to the GTX 660 ti and and new case. Then see how much better I get FPS wise and over all wise. The Core I have right now is AMD 9850 2.5ghz quad core black edition. Which from what I am told is still not a terrible CPU. Would It be better for me to start with the GPU upgrade that first and then go from there?

It's not a bad CPU but it's definitely not a great one either. A 7870 would be a better buy than a 660ti. Yeah, but that's true. A GPU upgrade would really help you a lot.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:18:16 AM

cutebeans said:
It's not a bad CPU but it's definitely not a great one either. A 7870 would be a better buy than a 660ti. Yeah, but that's true. A GPU upgrade would really help you a lot.

As I am doing more looking I am hearing and reading the AMD GPU drivers are not well kept as Nvdia cards are.

The 7870 is a better card the 660 ti? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html the 660 is way above the 7870. Did i just get a bad site?
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2012 1:23:00 AM

Streaming videos...? Even a Pentium could do that very well. :p 

Don't bother with the 660 Ti, it's +/-5% the 7870 depending on the program/game and the latter is priced ~$70 less.

Your initial budget of $850 is fine, looking at your monitor resolutions, a 7870 would actually be overkill and you can ultra every game out there.

My suggestion? - Take cutebeans' build suggestion, swap out the i5 for an FX-8320, swap the motherboard for a matching ASRock(they're 95% of the time cheaper) AM3+ board, and swap the RAM to a Corsair Vengeance or a G.Skill Ares/Sniper. (XMS3 doesn't have the best reputation)
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:25:48 AM

excella1221 said:
Streaming videos...? Even a Pentium could do that very well. :p 

Don't bother with the 660 Ti, it's +/-5% the 7870 depending on the program/game and the latter is priced ~$70 less.

Your initial budget of $850 is fine, looking at your monitor resolutions, a 7870 would actually be overkill and you can ultra every game out there.

My suggestion? - Take cutebeans' build suggestion, swap out the i5 for an FX-8320, swap the motherboard for a matching ASRock(they're 95% of the time cheaper) AM3+ board, and swap the RAM to a Corsair Vengeance or a G.Skill Ares/Sniper. (XMS3 doesn't have the best reputation)

Streaming on Twitch, not streaming netflix lol. Like streaming games as i play them with commentary and stuff :) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2012 1:28:13 AM

Ah, okay.
Well, both CPUs would be good for that part. :) 
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:33:39 AM

excella1221 said:
Ah, okay.
Well, both CPUs would be good for that part. :) 

Ok good :) 

So going with either video card is fine then, the difference is that small?
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:37:22 AM

Streaming games isn't really the hard. I think it would be more on your internet connection that would lag it than you parts.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:41:10 AM

cutebeans said:
Streaming games isn't really the hard. I think it would be more on your internet connection that would lag it than you parts.

I have great internet thankfully :) 

Well anything else you guys want to add? You both have been great help!
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2012 1:41:28 AM

Bazeleel said:
Ok good :) 

So going with either video card is fine then, the difference is that small?

Sure. You sound like you're fine with the huge price difference compared to the small performance difference though. :lol: 

Also, the 7870 has a much more acceptable bus rate than the 660 Ti. The latter would struggle a bit in high resolutions and anti aliasing.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:47:16 AM

excella1221 said:
Sure. You sound like you're fine with the huge price difference compared to the small performance difference though. :lol: 

Also, the 7870 has a much more acceptable bus rate than the 660 Ti. The latter would struggle a bit in high resolutions and anti aliasing.

Well I want to buy what ever is the best card out of the 2 so if it puts me over budget a little im fine with that.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:52:33 AM

7870 would be best.

If you really want a Nvidia card then just get the 660ti.

Both are good cards but of course 7870 is better.
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:04:00 AM

Cool thank you both for the help! I am going to give cutebeans the best answer because he did get a build for me. I wish I could give it to you both though.
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:04:17 AM

Best answer selected by Bazeleel.
m
l
!