I5-2500K build

Hi, I haven't built a computer in about 7 years but I think it's time. I want this one to last probably 6 years. This would be for single-player gaming as well as everyday use. Budget is somewhat flexible but approximately $1000-$1100, not including the parts I already have: mouse, keyboard, HD, OS and CPU. I don't think I'm interested in SLI/CF. I would only be using one monitor, and I need to buy that too. I'm in the US.

One other detail that's important is that I favor quiet components that run cool and last long.

What do you think of this?

CPU: Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (already have this)
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM or Dell UltraSharp U2412M or ASUS VH236H or Asus VE248H
Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA ATX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 2GB 192-bit or XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7870 2GB 256-bit
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 128GB SATA III MLC
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (if necessary)
DVD Drive: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK or Thermaltake Armor A90 or NZXT Phantom 410 Mid-Tower

Not sure if the motherboard's lack of DVI connector will be a problem. For the GPU, I could step up to something like a Radeon 7950, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for a 6 year build. I also like the warranty options for that reason.
10 answers Last reply
More about 2500k build
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.55 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1187.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-14 01:44 EST-0500)

Get a z77 motherboard. I got a 7950 which is really great and also gives out 3 free games which are HITMAN, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3 (pretty good deal). Got a 750w if you plan on crossfire which I think you might then again if you don't plan on CF then you can just get a good 500w.
  2. I like the motherboard company, but if you want to overclock, I would step up to an Extreme4. Its a great board. Nice PSU choice. Nice cpu cooler. As for the gpu, I would stick with the 660 and save the rest for your next upgrade. Looks like a good build.
  3. The Z75 can OC.
    He's not even considering SLI/Crossfire anyway, so the Extreme series isn't a necessity.

There's also no point going z77 since he won't be able to use the new features yet.

+1 on the 7950, get the Vapor-X if you decide to go up to this level.
  4. If he's going to get an SSD won't he need the SRT that only the z77 board has??
  5. What's SRT? XD Sorry, I believe this is the first time I've encountered it.

The z75 Pro3 has x2 SATAIII ports, if that's what you mean.
  6. excella1221 said:
    What's SRT? XD Sorry, I believe this is the first time I've encountered it.

The z75 Pro3 has x2 SATAIII ports, if that's what you mean.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292/7

Will be better to explain than me.

From what I understand, it makes hdds faster using the SSD as a cache.
  7. Ohhh, Intel SRT. :lol:

According to the Intel website, SRT is supported on z75 chipsets.
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/z75-express-chipset.html
  8. I would recommend the 7870. It's is a whole tier above the 660 while selling at a similar price point.

Also, I heard that SSD caching is nowhere near as fast as simply using a SSD for all your applications.
  9. 6 Years? Sort of impossible, especially if you are ruling out Xfire/SLI.

The only possible way to do this is to make a build with a good upgrade path, such as an i5 2500k, and an overclockable motherboard (Thus, when this becomes slightly older you can overclock to prolong the effectiveness of it), and a power supply that can handle current graphics cards with ease.

The reason I say this is because there is no way a Graphics card would last 6 years, which is why you would want to constantly upgrade the graphics card, possible once every 2-3 years. CPU's are alot more "futureproof" than graphics cards, as now games MOSTLY rely on GPU power rather than CPU.
  10. So is the Z75 motherboard okay for the SSD? Also, would the motherboard's lack of a DVI connector be a problem with a monitor which didn't have a HDMI connector?

I don't mean that it would be a great computer in 6 years; just that it would still be a decent machine that could be used to run what would be say 2015 games on fair settings. Maybe the best thing is to get a $230 GPU now and another at about the same price in a few years.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product