Paradox from Hell!!

"Apparently, this is the reward I get for years of screwing with
Super-Science."
--Dr. Venture, on finding himself metamorphosed into a giant
catapillar...

What's the worst case of Paradox in Mage? Wasn't there some guy who
had permanent chicken legs?
^_^

Dex

ewschill@hotmail.com (Triple E) wrote in message news:<66dd031a.0408300724.3ff2d268@posting.google.com>...
> smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0408292101.426c806f@posting.google.com>...
> > "Apparently, this is the reward I get for years of screwing with
> > Super-Science."
> > --Dr. Venture, on finding himself metamorphosed into a giant
> > catapillar...
> >
> > What's the worst case of Paradox in Mage? Wasn't there some guy who
> > had permanent chicken legs?
> > ^_^
> >
> > Dex
>
> I always thought Czar Vargo getting completely erased from
> existence, with all memory of him wiped as well was pretty nasty.
> That was a Paradox thing, right?

I think it was more Unbelief, tho the distinction can be vague.
Anyway, nonexistence is easy, as you're no longer around to have to
deal with it.

I found the guy I was referring to, tho: "...his left eye is a bright
electric green, the other primer gray; his right hand has three
fingers, his left has seven. Underneath his robes and turban, Yaqub
sports a black multi-lobed third eye, a 12" forked tongue, legs like a
chicken's and a broad variety of teratomic growths including mouths,
eyes, hair, animal and alien appendages too malformed to be useful and
a fully formed catfish face on his left inner thigh which has recently
begun to murmur semi-intelligent sounds...(he also has a)
Paradox-imposed diet of cancerous tumors and late-term abortions."

0_0! Think about HIM the next time you're complaining about a
Paradox-backlash that gives you constant chills...

Dex

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ewschill@hotmail.com (Triple E) wrote in message
> > smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message
> > > "Apparently, this is the reward I get for years of screwing with
> > > Super-Science."
> > > --Dr. Venture, on finding himself metamorphosed into a giant
> > > catapillar...
> > >
> > > What's the worst case of Paradox in Mage? Wasn't there some guy who
> > > had permanent chicken legs?
> > > ^_^
> > >
> > > Dex
> >
> > I always thought Czar Vargo getting completely erased from
> > existence, with all memory of him wiped as well was pretty nasty.
> > That was a Paradox thing, right?
> >
> I think it was more Unbelief, tho the distinction can be vague.
> Anyway, nonexistence is easy, as you're no longer around to have to
> deal with it.
>
> I found the guy I was referring to, tho: "...his left eye is a bright
> electric green, the other primer gray; his right hand has three
> fingers, his left has seven. Underneath his robes and turban, Yaqub
> sports a black multi-lobed third eye, a 12" forked tongue, legs like a
> chicken's and a broad variety of teratomic growths including mouths,
> eyes, hair, animal and alien appendages too malformed to be useful and
> a fully formed catfish face on his left inner thigh which has recently
> begun to murmur semi-intelligent sounds...(he also has a)
> Paradox-imposed diet of cancerous tumors and late-term abortions."
>
> 0_0! Think about HIM the next time you're complaining about a
> Paradox-backlash that gives you constant chills...

These permanent paradox flaws seem too randomly freakish to be truly
intimidating. I prefer it when the flaw is obviously connected to the failed
invocation that evoked it. Unless the above flaw resulted from a botched
transformative curse it doesn't really impress me. I've always wanted to see
somebody try to use a magically enhanced diet plan (loose weight by eating
bacon & cheesecake!) and screw up, gaining 200 lbs. as a paradox flaw.

-Essex

> I always thought Czar Vargo getting completely erased from
> existence, with all memory of him wiped as well was pretty nasty.
> That was a Paradox thing, right?

Wasn't that just tehnocratic coverup? (assisted with disbelief)

Besides isn't Vargo still alive? ;)

--
Asmodai
------------------------------------

Asmodai wrote:

> Wasn't that just tehnocratic coverup? (assisted with disbelief)

Vargo's disappearance was originally supposed to be a big Technocracy
cover-up, but it got retconned into a huge Unbelief backlash.

> Besides isn't Vargo still alive? ;)

Probably, in the Deep Umbra somewhere.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2pqc6eFntqljU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> Asmodai wrote:
>
> > Wasn't that just tehnocratic coverup? (assisted with disbelief)
>
> Vargo's disappearance was originally supposed to be a big Technocracy
> cover-up, but it got retconned into a huge Unbelief backlash.

Too bad, in a way. I liked the image one book gave us, of an old man
who vividly remembered the Technocracy's response so well that he
always wondered why didn't they just send the robot armies after the
Nazis in WWII?^^

Course, everyone thought he was nuts...

> > Besides isn't Vargo still alive? ;)
>
> Probably, in the Deep Umbra somewhere.

Too bad Ascension didn't follow up on the story seed of Czar Vargo's
triumphant return...Which is certainly worth a scenario all on its
own. Well, at least the book apologized for it!^^

Dex

> Too bad, in a way. I liked the image one book gave us, of an old man
> who vividly remembered the Technocracy's response so well that he
> always wondered why didn't they just send the robot armies after the
> Nazis in WWII?^^

> Course, everyone thought he was nuts...

Ah... the old SOE book :) Stayka gave me hers as a gift... Elias is sitll
one of the better characters from any tradition :)

> > > Besides isn't Vargo still alive? ;)
> > Probably, in the Deep Umbra somewhere.

> Too bad Ascension didn't follow up on the story seed of Czar Vargo's
> triumphant return...Which is certainly worth a scenario all on its
> own. Well, at least the book apologized for it!^^

Well he probably went and founded his own realm wehere people who would
follow him came and where he founded a brave new world...

--
Asmodai