Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sli gtx 680 help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2012 2:26:40 PM

hello guys,

i would like help regarding my gtx 680 sli SC version ,

i have a "evga gtx 680 2 gb SC version" card and i am about to buy a "MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning",

will both of these work on SLI as i just found out that the MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning have higher shared clock then the evga 680??

please help and advise

thanks

More about : sli gtx 680

a c 220 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 2:33:30 PM

They will SLI together, but will run at the speeds of the least common denominator. Not a problem.
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:58:15 PM

least common denominator?? please explain??
m
l
Related resources
a c 220 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 3:05:51 PM

wheelspk said:
least common denominator?? please explain??

The lower speed of the two video cards.....
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 3:58:03 PM

Not true at all. This has not been true for at least the last 2 series, and I have a good feeling it was never true, and only a myth that spread through the internet.

I have the EVGA Signature+ and an MSI reference 680. The Signature card has a factory OC, and the MSI one does not. I keep MSI Afterburner running in the background to keep tabs on their clocks, and they operate at their factory clocks. I have OC'ed the MSI card so they will operate closer to the same speed, but their boost tech makes it so they are usually at different clocks anyways.

I have tested this with 680's, 470's, 6950's and 5870's. None of those cards will sync their clocks when in CF or SLI. I've had other test this, and theirs also do not sync. It is just a myth that they sync up, or outdated information from back a few years.

The only issue you are going to run into is the fact that the cards fan profiles will be very different, and MSI afterburner does not allow you to tune the cards fan profiles independently. This may not be a big deal if you don't plan to change those fan profiles, but if you are one who likes to run the profiles aggressively to get the temps down, you will find the cards coolers will make it hard to do so, as they will need different profiles to be optimal.
m
l

Best solution

a c 220 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 4:38:33 PM

Interesting input bystander. Thanks.

From the Nvidia SLI FAQ:

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?

Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?

Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes.
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 4:40:46 PM

That does not mention anything about matching the clocks, only matching memory sizes. I think someone might have made the incorrect connection of the memory sizes and over clocks.
m
l
a c 220 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 4:50:22 PM

You are correct. It appears that matching clock speeds is no longer an issue or concern if you note the second question from the FAQ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?

Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

You were correct. Thanks for the info.
m
l
September 19, 2012 9:02:15 AM

Best answer selected by wheelspk.
m
l
!