Sign in with
Your question

Windows Media Center freezes with Logitech Z-Cinema

Last response: in Windows 7
February 21, 2012 10:28:24 AM

I just bought my wife a new laptop. She doesn't do any heavy computing. It will be mostly used for Email, Web Surfing and watching videos. The initial set up went fine and all worked as advertised. The problem started when I went to install the driver for her external speakers. She has a Logitech Z-Cinema 3 speaker system with remote. I went to the Logitech website and located the Windows 7 64 bit driver and downloaded it. Installation seemed to complete succesfully, but now, any time I try to open up Windows Media Center, the screen just goes black and I have to kill the program with Task Manager. I uninstalled the driver and WMC workes fine. The speakers are on the Windows Hardware Compatability list. I'm hoping some one may have a way to fix this as this was a present for her.

Latop specs:

Brand : Asus
Model: X54C-BBK5
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Technical details: 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor; 15.6" display; 4GB memory; 320GB hard drive
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 11:51:06 AM

You shouldn't need a driver to use external speakers with a laptop. What does this driver supposedly do? Maybe it's just a piece of unnecessary software.
February 21, 2012 11:08:22 PM

The speakers connect via dual USB. There is no 1/8 inch audio jack. The speaker set has a remote that actually controls your media player in Windows. It is designed to be used like a Home Theater/DVR played on an external video source. It has worked previously with a Dell and a Toshiba laptop.
!