Status
Not open for further replies.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Got a question regarding which SSD would be preferred for my particular application.

I have recently received help on this forum to build a system primarily for still photo editing, maybe in the future some gaming..but not a priority. The individual suggested this mb: ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131834

and this SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227792&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

In researching how to install, I noticed that a mounting kit was required, and then noticed that there seemed to be at least two other manufacturers that made similar products...Samsung and Crucial. In looking at the spec comparison, I see some differences, but frankly do not know if they are important.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600038487&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=636|20-147-164^20-147-164-TS%2C20-148-530^20-148-530-TS%2C20-227-792^20-227-792-TS

Sure could use some guidance.....thanks : )

Solution
For the older OCZ ssd's the agility was async and the vertex was sync. I think this still holds true.

As flash goes its

-value asyc - Still fairly fast with Sandforce(or any controller that uses compression) compression, but not as fast with incompressible data.
-better sync - Shows its improvements on incompressible data
-best toggle - supposed to be faster and have more P/E cycles(longer lasting)

Now that said, I have M4 drives, they had been on sale and work very well for me, while you can get faster, it may not show up outside of benchmarks. The best all around IMO would be Samsung's offering(830's).

I have a very cheap 64 gigabyte Kingston(was used for Intel SRT then became my Windows 8 drive) and even it seems very fast...

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks...so if I understand the article correctly, the OCZ was specified for me because it indeed is the fastest....once I install new firmware...yes?

One additional question: Can I assume all SSDs have the same mounting hole pattern? If I purchase a Crucial kit it will fit the OCZ?

Samsung makes the fastest and most expensive SSDs. I have two 840 Pros and they are definitely fast. I have used Crucial's M4 too, but its getting long in the tooth. I suggest Samsung. I would stay away from OCZ as they are in serious financial trouble and although their SSDs are fast, they are not as reliable from what I have read.

ram1009

Distinguished
Speed seems to be what attracts people to SSDs, however, IMHO speed is not the primary reason to invest in one. Reliability is. I've never heard anybody say they were achieving the speeds advertised for any brand of SSD. The only time you will notice the speed is booting and program launch. After a few days you won't even notice that. Reliability will be there long after you forget how fast it is. Read the reviews of OCZ and I think you will buy Samsung or Crucial. I own both and can recommend them. BTW, the mounting hole pattern is the same.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Hmmm....taken that, and trying to stay in the 200USD range, which Samsung would be compatible with my mb? I also understand the trim function is important when running W7, so I would prefer to have that capability.....

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Sorry, didn't see your reply until after I responded....that being said, can you suggest a drive that would be compatible with my mb (see above)? Also, as I noted to @maestro I would like to take advantage of the trim function...

Thanks

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the info...so if you were about to buy an SSD for a new pc build, which manufacturer would you choose?

Any SSD should be compatible with your motherboard. Trim is usually automatically set. If you want to stay under 200 bucks, I recommend the Crucial M4 256GB.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply....It is true I said in the 200 USD range, but I also understand some of them are 10-15% more, and that is fine...just don't want to get into the Samsung 840 range. Does that change your recommendation? If not, can I ask (just for my own knowledge) the rationale? : )

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
For the older OCZ ssd's the agility was async and the vertex was sync. I think this still holds true.

As flash goes its

-value asyc - Still fairly fast with Sandforce(or any controller that uses compression) compression, but not as fast with incompressible data.
-better sync - Shows its improvements on incompressible data
-best toggle - supposed to be faster and have more P/E cycles(longer lasting)

Now that said, I have M4 drives, they had been on sale and work very well for me, while you can get faster, it may not show up outside of benchmarks. The best all around IMO would be Samsung's offering(830's).

I have a very cheap 64 gigabyte Kingston(was used for Intel SRT then became my Windows 8 drive) and even it seems very fast coming from any hard drive. SSDs fast access times make them feel this fast. How often is everything you do done in sequential order?

I would highly recommend waiting until Black Friday to buy :)

While you wait, here is a good read on Tom's. It was about 60-gigabyte sand force drives, but gives you an idea of how the different flash performs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-60gb-benchmark-review,3137.html

you may be interested in this as well.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tests-ssd-review-solid-state,3103.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.