Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 660 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 18, 2012 5:05:51 PM

Hello, i want to upgrade my graphics card to the new GTX 660 Ti. My question is that i have a pci 1.0 x 16 slot, and the GtX 660Ti needs a pci 3.0 slot. can i put the gtx 660Ti in my pci 1.0 slot in my motherboard?

More about : gtx 660

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:12:40 PM

Yes, the 660Ti is backward compatible with the PCIe V1.0 slot. Make sure your power supply meets the needs of the new video card as well.
Share
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:13:09 PM

Also, keep in mind that your older system will likely bottleneck your intended new video card.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:27:26 PM

^+1

If you're considering the GTX660 Ti, why not consider the Radeon HD7950? The crippled memory bit interface on the 660 Ti will most likely cripple it in the future and the HD7950 is a great value considering it's the same price at the moment.

HD7950 is also proven to be a stellar overclocker which would yield even more performance.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 5:32:52 PM

mocchan said:
^+1

If you're considering the GTX660 Ti, why not consider the Radeon HD7950? The crippled memory bit interface on the 660 Ti will most likely cripple it in the future and the HD7950 is a great value considering it's the same price at the moment.

HD7950 is also proven to be a stellar overclocker which would yield even more performance.



My suggestion is to stick with an Nvidia card as AMD/ATI has always had buggy drivers no matter how good their hardware is.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 5:39:56 PM

haha that what they said same thing as between NVIDIA and ATI
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:43:23 PM

ram1009 said:
My suggestion is to stick with an Nvidia card as AMD/ATI has always had buggy drivers no matter how good their hardware is.

This is one of the pieces of info that may or may not be factual, but rather opinion based. Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have produced both good and bad driver releases. There is more of a preference issue, for the most part.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:54:48 PM

COLGeek said:
This is one of the pieces of info that may or may not be factual, but rather opinion based. Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have produced both good and bad driver releases. There is more of a preference issue, for the most part.

I think it got a bit more factual when AMD announced that they were changing their driver release schedule as their monthly schedule wasn't really working for them as they didn't have enough time to work out bug and kinks to the point where they sometime released the exact same driver but with a different release number.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 5:55:57 PM

COLGeek said:
This is one of the pieces of info that may or may not be factual, but rather opinion based. Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have produced both good and bad driver releases. There is more of a preference issue, for the most part.

+1

At the moment for me, I personally find the HD7950 to be a better value than a GTX660 Ti, however, if OP prefers to stick with Nvidia, I wouldn't mind at all as the 660 Ti is still a stellar card.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 6:02:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I think it got a bit more factual when AMD announced that they were changing their driver release schedule as their monthly schedule wasn't really working for them as they didn't have enough time to work out bug and kinks to the point where they sometime released the exact same driver but with a different release number.

That is one interpretation.....not sure I would read it that way. Regardless, this is still largely a matter of preference.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 6:04:44 PM

mocchan said:
+1

At the moment for me, I personally find the HD7950 to be a better value than a GTX660 Ti, however, if OP prefers to stick with Nvidia, I wouldn't mind at all as the 660 Ti is still a stellar card.

Agreed. Not really a bad answer here comparing/selecting the 660Ti or the HD7950. Both are solid choices.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 6:43:30 PM
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 6:51:04 PM
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 6:58:25 PM

COLGeek said:
Just because they change their release cycle/model is not an acknowledgement of "buggy drivers". I understand your position, but your opinion is still largely subjective. Not a criticism in any way, just trying to stick to facts vice opinions.

Having dealt with lots of PR companies over the years I know how to read between the lines but if you and others choose to go through life with blinkers on then so be it.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:49:16 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Having dealt with lots of PR companies over the years I know how to read between the lines but if you and others choose to go through life with blinkers on then so be it.

I think we should "agree to disagree" and move on. What say you, brudda?
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:51:11 PM

COLGeek said:
I think we should "agree to disagree" and move on. What say you, brudda?

You can disagree all you like, it doesn't change the fact that if their drivers were perfect every month then why would they change to a different system?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:55:50 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You can disagree all you like, it doesn't change the fact that if their drivers were perfect every month then why would they change to a different system?

OK, so using that logic, then Nvidia would never provide any interim releases (with the exception of adding new products) because their drivers would be "perfect" to begin with. That, my friend, is simply not true.

I apologize to the OP that we are going down this trail. Mea culpa.

Nothing like when 2 alpha-geeks don't see eye to eye on a topic, but insightful nonetheless.
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:59:12 PM

COLGeek said:
OK, so using that logic, then Nvidia would never provide any interim releases (with the exception of adding new products) because their drivers would be "perfect" to begin with. That, my friend, is simply not true.

I apologize to the OP that we are going down this trail. Mea culpa.

Nothing like when 2 alpha-geeks don't see eye to eye on a topic, but insightful nonetheless.

Nvidia have never tried to stick to a monthly release schedule and that's where the problem with AMD/Ati's driver always laid, they were always working to a time limit what is about that that's a problem for you to get your head around? :heink: 
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 8:05:11 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Nvidia have never tried to stick to a monthly release schedule and that's where the problem with AMD/Ati's driver always laid, they were always working to a time limit what is about that that's a problem for you to get your head around? :heink: 

I never said that their previous monthly model was a good one to follow. The issue is looking at current drivers and how they are supported now. There is little significant "quality" difference in the driver support provided by Nvidia and AMD/ATI today.

If you want to compare older driver releases, I am sure we can dig up volumes of forum postings on both sides of the argument that was solved by installing a more current (better) driver.

To make you feel better, try this. You win. Its all good by me. Cool?
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 8:18:54 PM

COLGeek said:
I never said that their previous monthly model was a good one to follow. The issue is looking at current drivers and how they are supported now. There is little significant "quality" difference in the driver support provided by Nvidia and AMD/ATI today.

If you want to compare older driver releases, I am sure we can dig up volumes of forum postings on both sides of the argument that was solved by installing a more current (better) driver.

To make you feel better, try this. You win. Its all good by me. Cool?

Being a bit of a history buff I have always felt that the past is what the present and future are built on but if you want to see things differently then that's fine by me so long as you don't encourage other people to ignore the past as though it never happened.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 9:27:25 PM

:wahoo:  Thank you everyone.....whats is bottle necking?
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 9:33:32 PM

pseghers said:
:wahoo:  Thank you everyone.....whats is bottle necking?

It is when one part is faster than another to the point it causes the system to bog down enough to diminish performance.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 10:17:07 PM

It won't mess up my new graphics card will it? Im slowly upgrading my whole rig. First im getting my gtx 660 Ti & a bigger power supply. Then im gonna save for a new motherboard, ram, and an intel I7
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 11:06:27 PM

No, the older components will not harm the new ones.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 11:32:20 PM

Best answer selected by pseghers.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 11:32:52 PM

Thanks for all your help COLGeek
Score
0
September 19, 2012 1:44:59 AM

COLGeek said:
This is one of the pieces of info that may or may not be factual, but rather opinion based. Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have produced both good and bad driver releases. There is more of a preference issue, for the most part.



It's a fact to me. I've haad many ATI/AMD cards over the years and always found the drivers buggy and some never got fixed or even acknowledged.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
a c 227 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 2:03:38 AM

pseghers said:
Thanks for all your help COLGeek

You are most welcome.
Score
0
September 19, 2012 8:18:45 PM

Since we're talking about nVidia vs ATI, i'll just throw my experience here:

My most recent experience with ATI/AMD was with 5850's in XFire, and basically, it was a disappointment. Eyefinity had issues, the xfire profiles didn't always work, most of the time i had to run games in windows mode (which basically disables XFire, so i would have my extra card mostly just wasting energy most of the time.)

The AMD drivers were..bad. Especially in Xfire. but even then there were problems in windows mode as well. Max Payne 3, Deus Ex: HR,...I've blocked the others out of my memory (Oh yeah, borderlands).

I got myself a 660Ti after the glowing review on HardOCP. I'm very happy. Max Payne 'split scenens' no longer look corrupted. I don't have this wierd ghosting in DX:HR. Everythign runs fast, and very very quiet.

Very happy with it, I'm willing to go a few years with nVidia if they treat me right. I've just been burned too much from AMD....
Score
0
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 8:26:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!