Status
Not open for further replies.

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hello, i want to upgrade my graphics card to the new GTX 660 Ti. My question is that i have a pci 1.0 x 16 slot, and the GtX 660Ti needs a pci 3.0 slot. can i put the gtx 660Ti in my pci 1.0 slot in my motherboard?

Solution
Yes, the 660Ti is backward compatible with the PCIe V1.0 slot. Make sure your power supply meets the needs of the new video card as well.
^+1

If you're considering the GTX660 Ti, why not consider the Radeon HD7950? The crippled memory bit interface on the 660 Ti will most likely cripple it in the future and the HD7950 is a great value considering it's the same price at the moment.

HD7950 is also proven to be a stellar overclocker which would yield even more performance.

ram1009

Distinguished

My suggestion is to stick with an Nvidia card as AMD/ATI has always had buggy drivers no matter how good their hardware is.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is one of the pieces of info that may or may not be factual, but rather opinion based. Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have produced both good and bad driver releases. There is more of a preference issue, for the most part.

I think it got a bit more factual when AMD announced that they were changing their driver release schedule as their monthly schedule wasn't really working for them as they didn't have enough time to work out bug and kinks to the point where they sometime released the exact same driver but with a different release number.

+1

At the moment for me, I personally find the HD7950 to be a better value than a GTX660 Ti, however, if OP prefers to stick with Nvidia, I wouldn't mind at all as the 660 Ti is still a stellar card.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

That is one interpretation.....not sure I would read it that way. Regardless, this is still largely a matter of preference.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Agreed. Not really a bad answer here comparing/selecting the 660Ti or the HD7950. Both are solid choices.

Having dealt with lots of PR companies over the years I know how to read between the lines but if you and others choose to go through life with blinkers on then so be it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I think we should "agree to disagree" and move on. What say you, brudda?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

OK, so using that logic, then Nvidia would never provide any interim releases (with the exception of adding new products) because their drivers would be "perfect" to begin with. That, my friend, is simply not true.

I apologize to the OP that we are going down this trail. Mea culpa.

Nothing like when 2 alpha-geeks don't see eye to eye on a topic, but insightful nonetheless.

Nvidia have never tried to stick to a monthly release schedule and that's where the problem with AMD/Ati's driver always laid, they were always working to a time limit what is about that that's a problem for you to get your head around? :heink:

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I never said that their previous monthly model was a good one to follow. The issue is looking at current drivers and how they are supported now. There is little significant "quality" difference in the driver support provided by Nvidia and AMD/ATI today.

If you want to compare older driver releases, I am sure we can dig up volumes of forum postings on both sides of the argument that was solved by installing a more current (better) driver.

To make you feel better, try this. You win. Its all good by me. Cool?

Being a bit of a history buff I have always felt that the past is what the present and future are built on but if you want to see things differently then that's fine by me so long as you don't encourage other people to ignore the past as though it never happened.

pseghers

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
It won't mess up my new graphics card will it? Im slowly upgrading my whole rig. First im getting my gtx 660 Ti & a bigger power supply. Then im gonna save for a new motherboard, ram, and an intel I7

Status
Not open for further replies.