Best DSLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 5, 2005 12:52:56 AM

Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000?

Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?

tia

More about : dslr

March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Canon 350D
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Canon 350D.
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Just saw your lens request. There are way too many lenses out there to
pick a lens. It depends on what your usage will be. I have a Tamron
24-135 on my camera most of the time but I can't say that it is the
best choice. It works for me. I also use a Canon 35 f/2 a lot.

If you're worried about cost then use the 300D/20D/350D kit lens. I
used it on my 300D for over a year.

But regarding the camera, again, 350D unless someone else comes out
with new sub-$1000 DSLRs soon.

Greg
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

"Cody Dawg" <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote
> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
> $1000?

The Canon 350D or 300D depending on how much under $1000 you want to go.

> Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?

That $1000 includes the kit zoom lens which, on a price/performance ratio,
is quite good.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Cody Dawg wrote:
> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000?

This is asked a lot. The answer is it depends. It's a personal choice as
much as anything else.

Your main choices are the Nikon D70, Canon 300D, and Canon 350D.

The Canon 350D is an update on the 300D, but not a replacement. It's the
lowest entry into a dSLR right now. The Canon 350D is new and will hit
shelves later this month, so it is unproven and unknown. The 350D is 8
MP while the others are 6 MP; this shouldn't matter to most people (and
the extra processing the 350D does to compensate makes me a little
concerned about the "naturalness" of the images). The canon 300D is slow
to boot and slow between shots.

Read the reviews <http://dpreview.com&gt;, take a look at some pictures by
the cameras your interested in <http://www.pbase.com/cameras&gt;, and then
head over to your local camera shop to try them out and see how they fit
your hand, how the controls feel, etc.

Randy.
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

Cody Dawg wrote:

> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
> $1000?

Do what I did, take a CF card down to a good camera store, take several
different cameras outside one at a time and shoot. Then go home and make
prints (or have them made in the size you normally do) and decide which
looks best to your taste. Then consider what kind of shooting you do most
and look at them from that point of view as far as what ISO needs you would
have etc. I consider ergonomics and how the camera works/feels to my way of
thinking is important and also if there are lenses that cover what I shoot,
preferably as few as posible to cover this range, that I can afford that
are also =high= quality.

I could tell you what I chose to use but that wouldn't mean you would like
it. Lots of people will tell you "buy this or that", only you can decide if
what they consider as being the most important features fit your meeds like
it does theirs. Also looking at 100% crops to decide "image quality" is
silly IMHO, look at the final results you will be looking at in the size
you'll normally be producing and judge from that. I'm sure I'll get flamed
-again- for sugesting this instead of just posting "Buy a _____"? :-)

--

Stacey
Anonymous

As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
months so you don't get the first production.

Check out "http://digitalslrinfo.com" though there is no sorting by
price.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:57 AM

I don't know. It made me laugh.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:58 AM

In article <xtqdnSfcWPhld7XfRVn_vg@giganews.com>,
"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote:

> The Canon 350D is an update on the 300D, but not a replacement. It's the
> lowest entry into a dSLR right now. The Canon 350D is new and will hit
> shelves later this month, so it is unproven and unknown. The 350D is 8
> MP while the others are 6 MP; this shouldn't matter to most people

Ignoring the increase from 6MP on the dRebel 300D to 8MP on the new 350D, the
use of Canon's newest processor, Digic II, on the 350D would be the BEST
reason to select that model.

This same processor is used on the "new" 20D. It's fast and it's good - as
one would expect from a "next generation" processor.

> (and the extra processing the 350D does to compensate makes
> me a little concerned about the "naturalness" of the images).

Compensate for what? The added 2 megapixels? If yes, it's a non-issue
considering the newer processor.

:)
JR
March 5, 2005 12:52:58 AM

"Scharf-DCA" <scharf.steven@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
> probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
> months so you don't get the first production.

your kidding right ?
March 5, 2005 12:52:58 AM

"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
> Canon 350D

I am surprised people are voting for a camera nobody has yet! THis is hype
gone wild. I would wait until people actually use the camera before I would
make a statement like that. All I know is the 350D is about the same size
and weight as the Pentax *ist DS. I won't see on in the store for about 2
weeks.

In September people felt the same way for the 20D.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:52:58 AM

> Scharf-DCA <scharf.steven@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though
> I would wait a couple of months so you don't get
> the first production.

Or just wait for the EOS-400D Mk II :-)

It generally suffices to wait for a critical mass
of early [retail] end user reports, and/or wait
for the first promotion or price drop. If Nikon
can field a competitor, expect Canon price action.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon offers another
kit configuration this year as well. Given the
target consumer, a zoom with a wider range might
have some appeal.

March 5, 2005 12:52:59 AM

> "Scharf-DCA" <scharf.steven@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
> > probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
> > months so you don't get the first production.
>
> your kidding right ?

I guess you mean "you're kidding" Sound advice, wait until you see what the
bugs are. The 20D still has some bugs, like vertical bands in flash photos.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:57:24 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:52:56 GMT, Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000?

Almost certainly. :-)

> Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?

The answer would differ depending on your needs.

As for the body, if that were my budget, I'd take a good hard look
at the Canon EOS-350D, speaking as someone who has no large investment
in any existing system.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

In article <YM4Wd.1420$cN6.461@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000?

There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist-DS.

Head down to your local camera shop, and try them.
(A side-by-side comparison tells you quite a lot).
If any one of them seems much better to you, buy it.
Otherwise, if there's no obvious reason not to, buy
the 350D once it hits the store shelves.

>Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?

That's impossible to answer; it's far too broad a question.

Consider the kit lens the manufacturer offers with the body;
that's often a good general-purpose lens.
March 5, 2005 2:22:32 AM

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 0aqjm$ot3$1@reader2.panix.com...
> In article <YM4Wd.1420$cN6.461@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
>>$1000?
>
> There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax
> *ist-DS.
>
> Head down to your local camera shop, and try them.
> (A side-by-side comparison tells you quite a lot).
> If any one of them seems much better to you, buy it.
> Otherwise, if there's no obvious reason not to, buy
> the 350D once it hits the store shelves.
>
>>Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?
>
> That's impossible to answer; it's far too broad a question.
>
> Consider the kit lens the manufacturer offers with the body;
> that's often a good general-purpose lens.

Olympus E-300
March 5, 2005 2:22:33 AM

eds wrote:

> "John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 0aqjm$ot3$1@reader2.panix.com...
>> In article <YM4Wd.1420$cN6.461@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
>>>$1000?
>>
>> There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax
>> *ist-DS.
>>

> Olympus E-300

Hope you're wearing nomex.. ;-)

--

Stacey
March 5, 2005 2:52:19 AM

Scharf-DCA wrote:

> As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
> probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
> months so you don't get the first production.

Then you should wait a few more months till the EOS-400D is out. :-)
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Jim Redelfs wrote:
> Ignoring the increase from 6MP on the dRebel 300D to 8MP on the new
350D, the
> use of Canon's newest processor, Digic II, on the 350D would be the
BEST
> reason to select that model.

Apart from shooting speed, does the Digic-II affect image quality if
you shoot RAW? If not and you are fine with the slower 300D then the
price difference could be invested in some good lens. What say?

IMHO, its more important to have a really good lens to begin with than
have faster electronics or 2MP more. Remember, bodies come and go but
lenses stay.

My advise for the OP is to first set aside the money for a fast
walkaround lens because the you will outgrow any kit lens pretty soon.
The Canon 300D/350D kit lens is good value for $100 but with limited
capabilities so you'll be looking around soon enough for a replacement
walkaround lens.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:58:20 AM

Stacey wrote:
> Scharf-DCA wrote:
>

>>As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
>>probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
>>months so you don't get the first production.
>>

> Then you should wait a few more months till the EOS-400D is out. :-)
Hi,
Then wait for few more month for EOS-450D, LOL. He who waits never get
anything.
Tony
March 5, 2005 7:58:21 AM

Tony Hwang wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>>
>> Then you should wait a few more months till the EOS-400D is out. :-)
> Hi,
> Then wait for few more month for EOS-450D, LOL. He who waits never get
> anything.

And he who cries because what they just bought last month is now being sold
cheaper or that something better has come out is going to be crying a lot!
Getting into the "upgrade" mindset is what they hope for.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Darrell wrote:

> I am surprised people are voting for a camera nobody has yet! THis is hype
> gone wild. I would wait until people actually use the camera before I would
> make a statement like that. All I know is the 350D is about the same size
> and weight as the Pentax *ist DS. I won't see on in the store for about 2
> weeks.

Choosing Canon DSLR's has not been a high risk venture for anyone.

March 5, 2005 5:02:01 PM

In message <IcednfjgnqLGhbTfRVn-gg@rogers.com>,
"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

>"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scharf-DCA" <scharf.steven@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> > As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
>> > probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
>> > months so you don't get the first production.
>>
>> your kidding right ?
>>
>I guess you mean "you're kidding" Sound advice, wait until you see what the
>bugs are. The 20D still has some bugs, like vertical bands in flash photos.

The only way to see vertical line artifacts in my 20D is to under-expose
by 4 stops and push, flash or not.

Most, if not all, of the issues that you are hearing about affect
individual specimens. My 20D has not shown any banding at normal
exposure (very faint, pushing 1600 to 25,800), has never locked up
(after almost 6000 images), and flash-exposes exactly the way I would
expect it to. I just set both ambient and flash compensation to zero,
shot a white wall with the built-in flash, and the histogram was just a
little right of center, the way it should be with a double-exposure.

All of my peeves about the camera are about design decision, many of
which are universal for the line, Canon, and even multiple
manufacturers.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
March 5, 2005 11:27:33 PM

Cody,

Canon 350D - no doubt about it (I'm a 20D user and have just been advising
my brother whose wanting to go digital to get the 350 - bank per buck -
unbeatable).

As for the lens... how much is your budget? There are some users that will
spend $1000 on a body and then want to couple it with a $100-200 zoom. Then
again there are some of us that realise how important the glass is & would
place the balance much nearer 50:50 (or even greater!)

Regards

DM

"Cody Dawg" <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
> $1000?
>
> Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?
>
> tia

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:22:43 AM

On 4 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0800, "G.T." <get.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>Canon 350D.

Is it still all plastic?
-Rich
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:22:44 AM

> On 4 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0800, "G.T." <get.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Canon 350D.
>
> Is it still all plastic?

Yeah, and?

Greg
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:14:08 AM

RichA wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0800, "G.T." <get.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Canon 350D.
>
> Is it still all plastic?

I don't know what you mean by "Is it still all plastic". The 300D had a
metal skeleton with plastic skin as does the Nikon D70 and now the
350D.

- Siddhartha
March 7, 2005 1:12:27 PM

> On 4 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0800, "G.T." <get.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Canon 350D.
>
> Is it still all plastic?
> -Rich

The lensmount is steel, the camera with the most metal in that class is the
Pentax *ist DS
March 7, 2005 1:16:06 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> RichA wrote:
> > On 4 Mar 2005 14:12:27 -0800, "G.T." <get.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Canon 350D.
> >
> > Is it still all plastic?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "Is it still all plastic". The 300D had a
> metal skeleton with plastic skin as does the Nikon D70 and now the
> 350D.

Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The D100
was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at proof
of those claims?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 10:20:10 PM

In message <_KSdnTnIQYx17bHfRVn-ug@rogers.com>, Darrell
<dev/null@?.?.invalid> writes

>"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> RichA wrote:

>> > Is it still all plastic?
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "Is it still all plastic". The 300D had a
>> metal skeleton with plastic skin as does the Nikon D70 and now the
>> 350D.
>>
>Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The D100
>was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at proof
>of those claims?

If you are referring to the D70 - from the dpreview review:
"the D70 has a robust (polycarbonate) body"

--
rbel
March 7, 2005 10:20:11 PM

"rbel" <rbel@rbel1.plus.com> wrote in message
> In message <_KSdnTnIQYx17bHfRVn-ug@rogers.com>, Darrell
> <dev/null@?.?.invalid> writes
> >
> >"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> I don't know what you mean by "Is it still all plastic". The 300D had a
> >> metal skeleton with plastic skin as does the Nikon D70 and now the
> >> 350D.
> >>
> >Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The D100
> >was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at
proof
> >of those claims?
>
> If you are referring to the D70 - from the dpreview review:
> "the D70 has a robust (polycarbonate) body"

I know the Canon "D" cameras (10D, 20D, 1D) are magnesium. I have never
heard Canon claim anything like that about the Rebel. D70 is Polycarbonate,
D100 was magnesium, and both the Pentax *ist D and DS have a stainless steel
chassis.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:00:11 AM

Darrell wrote:
> Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The
D100
> was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at
proof
> of those claims?

Honestly, even I didn't remember where I had read that until you
challenged my assertion ;)  Ok, here it is:
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelpeltier.html
http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/15/4999/

Also, polycarbonate is a very tough material used for making automotive
helmets too!! I am not sure how it compares to magnesium alloys but it
sure looks tougher than lots of other metals. Just google a bit and
read about polycarbonate types and properties.
http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html

- Siddhartha
March 8, 2005 11:58:12 AM

> Darrell wrote:
> > Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The
> D100
> > was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at
> proof
> > of those claims?
>
> Honestly, even I didn't remember where I had read that until you
> challenged my assertion ;)  Ok, here it is:
> http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelpeltier.html
> http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/15/4999/
>
> Also, polycarbonate is a very tough material used for making automotive
> helmets too!! I am not sure how it compares to magnesium alloys but it
> sure looks tougher than lots of other metals. Just google a bit and
> read about polycarbonate types and properties.
> http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html

Hi Siddhartha

The metal parts shown is not a chassis, but metal for RFI shielding. I am
not against polycarbonate, in fact I understand why it's used. Overall the
300D and D70 both have the same amount of metal in them
March 8, 2005 12:00:33 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
> > Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The
> D100
> > was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at
> proof
> > of those claims?
>
> Honestly, even I didn't remember where I had read that until you
> challenged my assertion ;)  Ok, here it is:
> http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelpeltier.html

BTW that's an interesting link, cheaper than a Canon 20Da
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:33:27 PM

"Cody Dawg" <bfogelstrom@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under
$1000?

> Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?
>
> tia

Nooooooooo!!! The last six flame wars started by somebody asking this
question have not died down yet!
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:38:18 PM

This whole thing about plastic cameras is a bit of a farce really... When
you climb aboard a modern jet airliner, you are getting into a machine that
has large amounts of plastics used in various structural places... If you
move into the military realm.. you get even more use... when you look at any
high performance sport like Formula 1, yacht racing, kayaking... pretty much
all of them... you are into heavy use of plastic...

If you put your "all metal" camera into a waterproof case... that case it
likely to be 99.9% plastic...

It's got to be about how the camera "feels" to the user.. otherwise it's
about someone trying to out market their camera over the competition's using
a manipulative, meaningless metric.

Al...

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
>> Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that. The
> D100
>> was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me at
> proof
>> of those claims?
>
> Honestly, even I didn't remember where I had read that until you
> challenged my assertion ;)  Ok, here it is:
> http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelpeltier.html
> http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/15/4999/
>
> Also, polycarbonate is a very tough material used for making automotive
> helmets too!! I am not sure how it compares to magnesium alloys but it
> sure looks tougher than lots of other metals. Just google a bit and
> read about polycarbonate types and properties.
> http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html
>

> - Siddhartha

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:38:19 PM

Alan Adrian wrote:

> This whole thing about plastic cameras is a bit of a farce really... When
> you climb aboard a modern jet airliner, you are getting into a machine that
> has large amounts of plastics used in various structural places... If you
> move into the military realm.. you get even more use... when you look at any
> high performance sport like Formula 1, yacht racing, kayaking... pretty much
> all of them... you are into heavy use of plastic...

The non metal structural members of airliners and fighters are mainly
carbon fibre composite mats, bonded together at high temperature and
pressure. While having great mechanical properties, they are nowhere as
stiff as poly-c. They must flex to some degree.

Poly-c is an excellent material for cameras, and in some ways better
than a principaly metal body. Such a metal body, on shock, transmits
most of its energy to the delicate parts. In a poly-c body, some of the
energy is absorbed in the poly-c itself, protecting the deicate parts.

I have three bodies, an all-poly-c; an all-metal and now a 'mostly metal
with poly-c'. They're all robust and while I don't abuse my equipment,
I don't baby it either... these cameras take the abuse well. (Well the
third on is only a day old, but...).

Cheers,
Alan

March 9, 2005 1:42:02 AM

Darrell wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Darrell wrote:
> > > Are you certain about that? None of my POS materials claim that.
The
> > D100
> > > was cast magnesium, as is the Canon 10D and 20D. Can you point me
at
> > proof
> > > of those claims?
> >
> > Honestly, even I didn't remember where I had read that until you
> > challenged my assertion ;)  Ok, here it is:
> > http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelpeltier.html
> >
> BTW that's an interesting link, cheaper than a Canon 20Da

Heh, want another interesting link? Want to turn your silver 300D
black? Here is the answer:
http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/view.php?id=canon_d30_forum&...

Hope you can read Korean ;)

- Siddhartha