New Gaming Build - Advice Would Be Appreciated

tsuki2000

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I posted a couple days ago about upgrading, but I've realized I might as well just do a completely new build since I want to replace almost everything.

Anyway, here's what I'm currently thinking:

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155

Intel Core i5-3570K

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W

ARCTIC MX4 Thermal Paste (no curing is a big plus for me)

NOTE: I already have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case and I'm also keeping the monitors/speakers/DVD drive/mouse/keyboard I already have. My OS is OEM, so I also realize I'll probably need to purchase a new license. I want a new PSU because my current one isn't modular and that's really starting to annoy me.

Other info:

Budget: ~$1,000
Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the year
System use: Gaming, internet, movies
Preferred Website: Newegg
Part Preference: Intel for CPU, AMD for GPU
Overclocking: No
SLI/Crossfire: No
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080

I'm currently running an i5-750 and Radeon HD 5850 system, but this is the last chance (financially) I'll have for a few years to make any upgrades. So instead of letting my current system age more than it already has, I want to get something that will let me play new games on high settings for 2-3 years. I game as 1920x1080 when I can.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. My biggest concerns at the moment are that I'd be overspending on a PSU with more juice that I need (for the most part, I want a reliable modular PSU that can run everything I've mentioned) and the RAM. I'm not familiar with G.SKILL, but it has gotten good reviews on Newegg.

Thanks in advance.

tsuki2000

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
When I was reading the actual text of the reviews (as opposed to focusing on how many eggs each mobo had), people seemed to be saying the MSI was more stable than the Asrock boards I looked that. I also had trouble finding an Asus or Asrock board that used more than six screws, which made me worry about how flimsy it would be, especially around the RAM. The MSI has more screws, in addition to the stability the reviews seem to mention.

But if anyone else could chime in, that would help a lot.

vance09

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
If you aren't overclocking, there's no need for a 3570k or a z77 mobo. Get a normal 3570 and a h77 mobo to save some money, which you can use to get a decent SSD. Everything else looks fine.

I vote for both of his suggestions ^^^

620w is more than enough and Seasonic is better than Corsair. Except for of course the Corsairs that are manufactured BY Seasonic, those are, well, just as good. :D