Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer is a mess and i can't get it to run well

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 21, 2012 10:58:23 AM

Hi everybody
I have recently built my very first pc and I have been using it for about 3 months now, and only 1 hour out of that 3 months has been actual gaming, and the rest of that time is trying to fix the constant problems I have with it. I have come to this forum to get help and advise from people that ended up actually working... but only temporarily.
All my components are compatible such as ram, CPU and the motherboard and I am 98% sure that windows has been installed correctly. It's a fast machine, but there is ALWAYS some kind of problem with it. 40% to 50% of the time programs and games won't run because there was a problem detected or the program will stop responding, games will run awesome one day then the next day won't even open at all or will crash unexpectedly and it will freeze for unknown reasons. I have gotten very impatient with this computer and i have just about reached my limit with it. No matter what I do to fix a problem another problem will ALWAYS just come up again and I don't know what to do anymore. I have spent nearly $2000 on a pc that is good for nothing but using the Internet, 5 minutes of gaming and 3 hours a night of trying to find a solution to fix the basted problems that it CONSTANTLY has and I really really need help fixing it.
So my questions are... Have I made a common mistake with my windows 7 instillation? Could there be something that I had missed, forgotten to install correctly or even to install at all??? I can't seem to find reasons for something to be wrong with it, it is just so random. When I first installed windows I'm sure i did it correctly, I followed the steps and just pressed ok for everything and it installed fantastically. Should I just reinstall windows?
Somebody pls help me I just don't know what to do anymore and I will be very grateful for any help I can get.

More about : computer mess run

February 21, 2012 11:09:55 AM

Tell me your set up first from Mb type to mouse you are using
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 11:10:47 AM

ok, have you installed the latest gpu drivers
have you installed the chipset drivers that came with your mobo
have you let windows update do its thing

can you tell us your system specs (inc brand and model of PSU)

can you tell us the operating temps whilst at idle and load (cpu & gpu)

There will be more questions, but these will help pin down some obvious problems.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 11:21:48 AM

+1, we need to know your full PC spec. I understand your frustration, but the funny thing is there is probably a simple fix to. So please be patient and work with us to help you fix this issue
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:42:06 AM

Well since you are unresponsive, most likely issue is with your motherboard. Try to flash the newest bios and start clean wind 7 install ( format your system drive or partition ) if that does not work ... RMA your motherboard...or just get a new one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 11:54:12 AM

maxinexus said:
Well since you are unresponsive, most likely issue is with your motherboard. Try to flash the newest bios and start clean wind 7 install ( format your system drive or partition ) if that does not work ... RMA your motherboard...or just get a new one.

give him time, he's probably doing whatever 17yrold boys do with an alias including the words poon and tang.
m
l
February 21, 2012 12:26:30 PM

Perhaps he Pwns while drinking Tang, and REALLY likes Tang.

I would concur with the general consensus about making sure all drivers (including motherboard, the ones on the CD that came with it are not the most recent more often than not). I wouldn't open that BIOS bag of worms unless you check the manuf. website and see if any BIOS updates address any hardware issues. You probably don't have to tactically nuke win 7 unless you're a purist like myself, but I tend to run Adobe apps on my box and they can be persnickity.

-Rob
m
l
February 21, 2012 12:29:40 PM

hi,
Sound like you need to spend some quality time with non Windows diag software eg memtest86. make a boot USB stick or CD and run it see if you have a memory issue.
Does your PC run well in Safemode?
Did you use good anti-static routine when building it?

P.S.
@13thmonkey. These forums have an obsession with PSU problems. In the hundreds of PC i have build and run almost non of them have had PSU problems. Well there was an issue with Elonex 486 desktop's PC's but lets not go there. Yes 486 Yes Elonex that's how long i have not seen any real issues with PSU's.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 12:45:44 PM

davidgermain said:

@13thmonkey. These forums have an obsession with PSU problems. In the hundreds of PC i have build and run almost non of them have had PSU problems. Well there was an issue with Elonex 486 desktop's PC's but lets not go there. Yes 486 Yes Elonex that's how long i have not seen any real issues with PSU's.

Yep, I also have an obession with them, the last machine i fixed (hands on), had had the processor and the gpu upgraded, the psu was over its limited, took the mobo out. Prior to that i had a machine that was being a little erratic, replaced psu, all better. A machine that wouldn't turn on till 30s after you pressed the power button, replaced psu, all better.

They are the foundation and lead to all sorts of issues.

Also asking for brand and model, its not just a 500W psu, there are some POS 500W PSU's and some good ones, we need to know the difference. Not knowing is like saying its a socket 775 mobo, and expecting that is enough. This is compared to a gpu where i don't care about the manufacturer as 95% of them are built by either nvidia or ati.

m
l
February 21, 2012 2:07:47 PM

13thmonkey said:
Yep, I also have an obession with them, the last machine i fixed (hands on), had had the processor and the gpu upgraded, the psu was over its limited, took the mobo out. Prior to that i had a machine that was being a little erratic, replaced psu, all better. A machine that wouldn't turn on till 30s after you pressed the power button, replaced psu, all better.

They are the foundation and lead to all sorts of issues.

Also asking for brand and model, its not just a 500W psu, there are some POS 500W PSU's and some good ones, we need to know the difference. Not knowing is like saying its a socket 775 mobo, and expecting that is enough. This is compared to a gpu where i don't care about the manufacturer as 95% of them are built by either nvidia or ati.

had had the processor and the gpu upgraded,... Kinda proves the point the PSU is not faulty just not used correctly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 2:12:23 PM

absolutely, but its often overlooked, by upgraders, so always check, I mean why wouldn't you.

the other two examples were just aging PSU's guess thats not a reason to check the psu either.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:27:13 PM

Yes certainly never rule out anything (PSU, badly hacked software, AV) till a step by step diagnosis of the issue happens.
Just seems a reflex by a lot of people, thats all.
so my general approach would be....

What have i changed (software, hardware)?
When does the fault happen? at boot, soon after login, 1hr of hard gaming?
Does it boot and stay stable in Safemode?
if not look at hardware fault, memory, aging hardrive ect...
stable in safemode... drivers? still possibly hardware.
roll back windows?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 2:47:40 PM

Given the semi stability that he is seeing, and that faults appear to be starting after some time, my first thought is always heat. If there was no stability at all in any particular application then I'd look to software issues.

But lets wait for the system specs. He could be running a very hot GPU in a case with no airflow, or a prebuilts 250W PSU. We don't know.
m
l
February 22, 2012 12:55:19 AM

Thanks for all the reply's gyz.
My setup is:
gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3
corsair vengeance 8gb
ocz modxstream pro 700w
Seagate barracuda 1tb
phenom ii x4 840 propus
LG blu-ray combo drive

I have used two different kinds of drivers 11.12 and 12.1, 11.12 made bf3 run really well but gta 4 ran like crap so i was told to update to the latest driver which was 12.1 which made gta run well but not fantastically, and bf3 didn't work at all. Im not sure about chipset drivers because i was told that when i update or install a new driver it will automatically install the chipset drivers.
Iv booted in safe mode before but nothing works at all.
It was oc'ed to 4ghz and it can run prime for up to 9-10 hours but it will overheat so iv put it down to 3.8. But the overclocking hasn't made a difference in anything that i know of.
I had a problem a few weeks ago with one update that always failed to update but its fixed now and windows now updates regularly now. If i recall rightly it was c++ security update 2008.
My case has high airflow, has a water cooled cpu and I'm not sure what temp the gpu runs at because i haven't checked. When i don't do anything i think its 43c.
I do recall that a while ago i used to play bf3 or gta 4 and once every week or so my screen will go all pixilated and it continues and will only stop when i restart my PC.
I have had a problem when i screen freezes for 10 seconds, crashes and a speech bubble in the bottom right hand corner says "driver stopped responding and has recovered" or something like that.
With bf3, when i try to play campaign the screen just goes black then i open up task manager and it says its "program has stopped responding" or if its not that its "there was a problem"

That's just about everything i can remember and the problems that i get.

edit:
I'm at home now so i can check more things. My cpu idle temp is 20-22c and my gpu idle temp is 38-40c.
My keyboard is made by gigabyte and the model is Aivia and my mouse is a logitech G500
I forgot to mention that i added a 250gb hdd just to backup songs and movies you know important stuff like that.
Today at school a mate suggested to me that it might be a ram problem, but iv got no idea if it is or isn't and i know that the ram I'm using is compatible for my mobo so i had little doubt that it is.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 7:58:34 AM

what GPU? use something to actually check your GPU & GPU temps when gaming, evga precision, msi afterburner.

You might want to do a full uninstall and clean of your GPU drivers and then reinstall them given the driver stopped responding error.
And reinstall BF3 if it won't even start.
Could be something as sneaky as a HDD failure.
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:40:06 AM

13thmonkey said:
what GPU? use something to actually check your GPU & GPU temps when gaming, evga precision, msi afterburner.

You might want to do a full uninstall and clean of your GPU drivers and then reinstall them given the driver stopped responding error.
And reinstall BF3 if it won't even start.
Could be something as sneaky as a HDD failure.

Its an Asus hd6950 2gb direct cu II. Its tricky for me to get the temp of my gpu when gaming because i cant get any games up and running accept for gta 4 which crashes 5 minutes into the game.
How exactly do i do a full uninstall of my gpu drivers? Should i be worried about chipset drivers?
A mate suggested to install driver 11.10, but when i installed it my screen goes black and the display is nothing but purple, green and blue pixels and i can only just make out the display of what is on the screen. I had to do a system recovery and I uninstalled it and re did it but same thing happened. Currently i have 11.12 installed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 9:06:01 AM

p000n-tang_be4r said:
my screen goes black and the display is nothing but purple, green and blue pixels and i can only just make out the display of what is on the screen.

That might indicate a gpu fault or a bad driver.

Uninstall, then use driver cleaner, then reinstall.

Use something like evga precision or msi afterburner to create a graph of temps, and then once it crashes (unless it crashes whole machine) you'll be alright, if it crashes whole machine, then get it to write to a log very frequently.

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html
m
l
February 23, 2012 10:36:59 AM

I uninstalled all my ati drivers at the control panel and i ran driver sweeper then rebooted and installed 12.1. I tried running bf3 and it doesn't want to stop loading and i close it down and then it did the little freeze for 10 secs then the screen goes black then crashes then recovers again and the bf3 toolbar icon just remains there and i cant get rid of it. This doesn't really seem to have helped. Is there any chance that it could be my cpu? Would the gpu stop small programs such as firefox, ati ccc and installer managers to stop responding?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 10:58:48 AM

unlikely to be either cpu or gpu.

I need to do some work, i'll be back on later.

Think about HDD cabling and swapping them, achi mode vs ide mode, can you look at the event log, can you reinstall bf3, or are there many things that fail, running memcheck, or does windows itself not have any trouble.

Is ANY of your software pirated?
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:00:22 PM

13thmonkey said:
unlikely to be either cpu or gpu.

I need to do some work, i'll be back on later.

Think about HDD cabling and swapping them, achi mode vs ide mode, can you look at the event log, can you reinstall bf3, or are there many things that fail, running memcheck, or does windows itself not have any trouble.

Is ANY of your software pirated?

I ran a memory check and no errors were detected. None of my programs are pirated. What exactly is achi mode and ide mode?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 9:57:31 PM

hdd modes in bios, had a recent case here where there it was set wrong, lots of oddball errors and mis functioning.

DO NOT just change between the two in bios, the OS needs to be prepared for it, normally you'd install with driver disks.

I'll google in the morning and find the link to microsofts update to allow you to switch.

But can you let us know what mode your bios thinks your hdd is in.
February 24, 2012 12:34:24 AM

Yeah man ill do that tonight, when i built my computer i pretty much just plugged in the hdd to the first sata slot i saw and installed the os and started using it, i didnt really get very technical about instillations hell i didnt even read the manuals haha. Ill get back with you tonight about it being set on ide or ahci.
m
l
February 24, 2012 12:34:31 AM

OK so i just checked my BIOS and the setting is on Native IDE.

Also i really really appreciate your help man
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:07:11 AM

What is the difference between the two settings?

And also you have solved my gta iv crashing problem and now i get very smooth game play, very happy. Also not that is matters now but when im about 30 mins into the game my gpu temp is at about 65c
m
l
March 1, 2012 10:13:47 PM

Best answer selected by p000n-tang_be4r.
m
l
!