Sign in with
Your question

BitFenix Prodigy gaming build - help.

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2012 7:24:52 PM

So I need to build a new rig sooner than I anticipated because my old new has a dead mobo. Instead of just buying a new mobo I'm going for a whole new computer since my old mobo is AMD and I'm going Intel.

Now, I've got the gist of it picked out and I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to going mini-ITX besides no CrossFire/SLI. I really enjoy the way it looks compared to a full and it'd be nice to have a lighter computer than what I'm used to. (Zalman GT1000, weighs like 45 pounds full).

So far I have:
Intel Core i5-3570K

Zalman LQ-310 CPU Water Cooler

ASRock Z77E-ITX

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

Bitfenix Prodigy mITX Mini-ITX Tower Case Midnight Black

Now I have everything else I'd need already (HDD, Optical, etc.) and I'm pretty much just up in the air on a good PSU for this case that will run everything I've got.

Thank you!
November 14, 2012 7:41:25 PM

if you want light, look elsewhere. the prodigy looks deceptively light. meanwhile it weighs 15 pounds. matx makes more sense. cheaper and fits more hardware for the same space

closed loop coolers are crap as well in terms of value. performance is meh

id get this. if you dont want silencing foam, you can get the arc mini and it would be a little lighter
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nJvS
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 7:54:45 PM

The seasonic psu might be a bit big for the case... as it is the max length for a psu (160mm) but its modular so it has the extra hard dimensions of the cable connectors. Should see if anyone else has that model fit into a prodigy already without a psu extender bracket.
m
l
November 15, 2012 9:31:07 AM

if you are using a non-modular, you are almost definitly going to have a nightmare cable managing
m
l
!