Solved

Gaming PC Advice/ Feedback

I am brand new to the gaming world, at least in a serious PC system setup......... I am considering buying a preowned set up from a friend of a friend, but wanted someone to evaluate what it might be in terms of monetary and operating capablities. Any feedback welcome and appreciated...........

This is how he describes it, in writing:

XP pro 64 bit

MS-7380 motherboard
Pentium 3 Xeon x2 3.2 (dualcore E5400/2.7Ghz)
6142 RAM
Nvidia G Force GTX 260--896MB x2
CD/DVDW
600 GB hard drive
Complete liquid cooling package
Silencer 910 watt power supply
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming advice feedback
  1. building a new one is much better !
  2. Yeah, i know, but think i can get this on the cheap, he just put some money in another one and his wife insists he move this. Hence the reason i am trying to ball park what this was built for and what it is worth today.
  3. mixinmaster said:
    Yeah, i know, but think i can get this on the cheap, he just put some money in another one and his wife insists he move this. Hence the reason i am trying to ball park what this was built for and what it is worth today.

Like the other guy said, this is really outdated. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this, and I would still rather build a PC that costs $600 and is 3x more powerful.
  4. Yeah, i hear you......... I'm just trying to get a feel for what everything in the racing rig package is worth, and the pc is the main thing that I have a hard time judging... The truth is, outdated doesn't really matter to me as long as it fulfills the experience of sim racing, along with other stuff I may want to try... With that said, I also know the computers and sim rigs are like alot of other hobby stuff, they don't hold value, and I don't want to deal with someone that doesn't understand how great that aspect of depreciation is...... In a nutshell, if I can get it cheap, I don't mind dated but completely usable hardware, and being new to it means I am not at an appreciation level like most of you...........

Thanks for the input and advice, I appreciate your time and effort..........
  5. You might have problems with drivers for 64-bit XP. I've never heard anything good about XP 64-bit. I wouldn't give more than $200 for it, it's old stuff.
  6. put a budget and we can help you building new rig cuz paying money on this old pc is like throwing your money in the sea !!
  7. What kind of rig could I build for $400-500? I want to play the sim racing games online with it, iracing to be exact, but would want it to be expandable as well so I could keep it for a few years and not get outdated as quick.
  8. mixinmaster said:
    What kind of rig could I build for $400-500? I want to play the sim racing games online with it, iracing to be exact, but would want it to be expandable as well so I could keep it for a few years and not get outdated as quick.

You Idk what the requirements are for those games, but I imagine you could at the very least almost max them out at 1080p.
  9. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.88 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $525.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-15 11:25 EST-0500)

----------------------------------------------------------

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-V EVO ATX AM3 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.88 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $500.81
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-15 11:35 EST-0500)
  10. Thanks to all of you, your advice helped me make a decison. I opted to not buy the rig
    altogether, I will build one instead. Thanks for the info and turning me on to the PC Parts site.....
  11. glad that i helped sir..
  12. Best answer selected by mixinmaster.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Gaming Systems Product