iconicsin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Ok you have all convinced me to go with the i5 3570k cpu :D. Now whats pretty awesome with this cpu? i wanna overclock my comp but i also game a lot and want games to run awesome and nice frame rates but dont wanna blow like 1500 bucks lol. So what build can some of you reccomend for all that oh and i want an affordable badass looking case :D thx cant wait to see your guys build ideas!!! :sol:

malbluff

Honorable
With respect, it's all very well saying you don't want to blow $1500, but you need to say what you do consider reasonable cost. Basically, whilst there are better or worse ways to spend a budget, the more you spend, the more you get. If you say you want the best system, that doesn't cost 1500, you're going to get suggestions at $1499. Also, what needs to be included. Just tower and components? Or do you need OS, monitor, keyboard etc? If in USA, do you have local Microcenter, as they've got effectively $50 off i5-3570K at moment (do know how long for).

cutebeans

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($285.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $948.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-14 21:51 EST-0500)

THIS!

malbluff

Honorable
Unless you have a real need for small, you're much better with mid-tower. It doesn't have to be large, unless you really want to "stuff" it. Other than adequate width to house any cooler, vent is more important than sheer size. If you want small, use decent mini. Micro cases really are just cramped midi's.

malbluff

Honorable

That case is OK. Wouldn't be my "taste", but that's not point. Provided case is adequate, which that is, the important thing is whether you like it. It's going to be sat in front of you, for a while.
That build of cutebeans' will work well in it, and will give performance you're looking for, in virtually any current game. As mentioned, the only thing I might change would be to use a better (admittedly more expensive) mobo.

malbluff

Honorable
That Zalman is OK. Just because it's not my taste is irrelevant, you're the one who's going to be looking at it . Rosewill have a couple of nice cases, around the price. NZXT Tempest or CooolerMaster HAF are quite good. Personally, for quality, I like Corsair Carbide, but they're fairly conservative.
If you avoid really cheap ones, almost any case with at least one input and one extract fan, in mid tower ATX, will DO. Just some are a bit better, than others. The easiest way is to look through all the offerings on Amazon, or Newegg, and pick two that YOU really like, and we can say if one is "better" than the other.

malbluff

Honorable

Yeh, when you're talking about a case, to keep your components cool, "cook" is probably not the right idea. lol.
Antec do several good cases. The Lanboy, I think, is quite good.

iconicsin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Ya I was rereading that and was like omg started to look like my phone when it auto corrects me haha! And also the cooler master haf xm looks clean. One more question graphics cards I always hear about radeon HD what about 680 gtx cards idk was curious I know a lot of people use them

malbluff

Honorable
The GTX680 is a powerful GPU, but not necessarily best value. It's only slightly better, in most systems than GTX670 (in fact a good 670 can beat a weak 680), and is a good bit more expensive. If you could measure value in "average fps/$" the Radeon HD7970 would be better value, overall, though nVidia tend to give slightly more realistic gameplay, in things like explosions. nVidia also do well in certain specific games, like Bordelands 2, Starcraft, BF3.
I often say, if you like playing lots of different games, AMD Radeon is probably better value: if you only play two or three games, all the time, it's definitely worth checking how each perform, in those games, on a benchmark site, like "anandtech".