Registered DDR -- 2400 & 2700

G

I am wading through the DDR memory jungle at the moment, and I could use the helping hand of a sagacious guide.

Done deal, and a no-brainer: CLS 2 is better than 2.5 – let’s not beat this dead horse any longer. ;)

I read somewhere that DDR 2400 and 2700 RAM is a hoax? Is this true? Is it just a marketing game? Is it stable? Could someone please shed some light on to this for me?

Second: certain boards require that you use registered memory modules if you fill more than two slots. If I remember correctly, the Abit KG7-R had that requirement. I am looking into getting it’s newly born cousin, the KR7-A, but I am not sure whether it too would require registered RAM if one were to use more than two modules. Anyone out there have an airtight answer?

Thanks.

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Any board using the AMD 761 chipset is limited to (2) unbuffered (not-registered) DIMMS, or four registered DIMMS. Some people claim to have the Abit KG7 running stable with (4) unbuffered modules but the manual is clear in stating that this is not supported.

G

I knew about the 761-2xunbuffered or 761-4xregistered deal, however the KR7 is based on a 266A chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PC2400 is not a standard, but neither is PC150. Like PC150, it's really PC2100 that's garunteed to operate at speeds up to 150MHz for it's given latency.
PC 2700 IS a standard aka DDR333. Still, it's the same construction as PC2100, simply garunteed to operate at 166MHz for it's given latency.
The Registered requirement for using more than two DDR modules is not a motherboard specific requirement, but a chipset specific one, I don't know of any chipset that support 4 DDR UNregistered modules. But since registered memory is also ECC, you can probable get higher speed for your Registered memory by turning off ECC in BIOS.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
CAS = Column Access Stobe

This is measured in cycles which in turn can be measured in nanoseconds.

High speed & low latency DDR is what you are after. PC2700, which runs at 333MHz, and has a latency of 2.5:2:2:2, or preferably at 2:2:2:2.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
is 2400/2700 ddr and the mobos to support it out yet?? i didnt think they would be here for a while?

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"