Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building my first system

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2012 10:45:07 PM

Hey everyone, so im building my first system and could use a few tips.
I will be using this for mainly gaming, watching movies, listening to music, web browsing, social networking and homework.
Gaming is more important to me than the others i would like to play games like COD and Skyrim on high graphics settings.
I've got roughly a $1800 budget and I am purchasing everything from PC Case Gear.
I am planning on doing some overclocking
Okay here it is.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mother Board: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator KHX21C11T2K2/8X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Graphics Card:Sapphire Radeon HD7950 3GB Boost
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST1000DM003
SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
PSU: Thermaltake 500W TR2 Bronze TR-500P
Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue Case USB 3.0
Monitor: BenQ RL2450H 24in LED Widescreen Gaming Monitor

So basically i wanna know if theres anything that is no good or something thats overkill or something that could be swapped for something better.
Also the monitor is kinda important because i dont want to get good a graphics card and my monitor not get the best out of it.
P.S I am planning of getting another monitor and a projector in the future.

More about : building system

November 14, 2012 10:50:50 PM

Overkill on the PSU. You really only need about 500w. Also, I suggest getting a 7950 or even a 7870 over the 660 Ti. The increase in bandwidth really helps.
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:54:28 PM

samuelspark said:
Overkill on the PSU. You really only need about 500w. Also, I suggest getting a 7950 or even a 7870 over the 660 Ti. The increase in bandwidth really helps.

Okay Cheers any brand reccemendations?
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 10:55:50 PM

id drop the psu down to 500 aswell and upgrade to a 7950 over a 660ti
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:58:45 PM

evga doesn't make amd video cards. you looking more at a 7950 or 7870?
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:03:50 PM

robthatguyx said:
evga doesn't make amd video cards. you looking more at a 7950 or 7870?

Yeah i realised that as soon as i posted it haha and the 7950 i reckon cheers :) 
m
l

Best solution

November 14, 2012 11:04:56 PM

Tmac48 said:
Hey everyone, so im building my first system and could use a few tips.
I will be using this for mainly gaming, watching movies, listening to music, web browsing, social networking and homework.
Gaming is more important to me than the others i would like to play games like COD and Skyrim on high graphics settings.
I've got roughly a $1800 budget and I am purchasing everything from PC Case Gear.
I am planning on doing some overclocking
Okay here it is.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mother Board: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator KHX21C11T2K2/8X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
PSU: CoolerMaster GX 750W PSU
Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue Case USB 3.0
Monitor: BenQ RL2450H 24in LED Widescreen Gaming Monitor

So basically i wanna know if theres anything that is no good or something thats overkill or something that could be swapped for something better.
Also the monitor is kinda important because i dont want to get good a graphics card and my monitor not get the best out of it.
P.S I am planning of getting another monitor and a projector in the future.

Hey, A fellow Australian :)  im going to be doing a build from PCCG next week to, a good company.
That is a really well balanced build, but like the others said you dont need a power supply that powerful (i would say 600-650W is your sweet spot) and it would be better to go a 7950 for a couple of reasons.
1: It has more GDDR5 memory and a bigger memory interface bus (384 bit compared to the 660ti's 192) which will benefit higher res gaming better, and you will not run into any memory problems if you intend to keep the card for more that a couple of years.
2: The new Catalyst 12.11 drivers (in beta but still great) have made it so that the 7950 is better or at least on par with the 660ti, even in games such as Battlefield where Nvidia had the advantage. In alot of the reviews, they say the card was overpriced on launch, but it is down to a great price point now and you should definitely give it a look.
3: unless you plan on playing borderlands, mafia 2, batman, Alice or another game that utilities PhysX, don't just buy nvidia because if that.

Otherwise, i would recommend going for the 2TB seagate Barracuda (as it is only about $20 more expensive) meaning you gain double the capacity for a fraction of the price (a better price to MB ratio)

And, only buy a blu ray drive if you plan on watching or burning them, as (it is debated) disk drives arnt as neccessary as tehy once were, you can do alot digitally. if you need one to just install games, you can get a cheap samsung or LG DVD drive for about $25 on PCCG

EDIT: Of the 7950 models available at PCCG, definitely gor for a non reference design witha custom cooler so taht you have a lower fan noise and better overclocking (the 7950 is a very capable overclocker). I would recommend the sapphire or the ASUS Direct CUII
November 14, 2012 11:13:57 PM

StormOfRazors said:
Hey, A fellow Australian :)  im going to be doing a build from PCCG next week to, a good company.
That is a really well balanced build, but like the others said you dont need a power supply that powerful (i would say 600-650W is your sweet spot) and it would be better to go a 7950 for a couple of reasons.
1: It has more GDDR5 memory and a bigger memory interface bus (384 bit compared to the 660ti's 192) which will benefit higher res gaming better, and you will not run into any memory problems if you intend to keep the card for more that a couple of years.
2: The new Catalyst 12.11 drivers (in beta but still great) have made it so that the 7950 is better or at least on par with the 660ti, even in games such as Battlefield where Nvidia had the advantage. In alot of the reviews, they say the card was overpriced on launch, but it is down to a great price point now and you should definitely give it a look.
3: unless you plan on playing borderlands, mafia 2, batman, Alice or another game that utilities PhysX, don't just buy nvidia because if that.

Otherwise, i would recommend going for the 2TB seagate Barracuda (as it is only about $20 more expensive) meaning you gain double the capacity for a fraction of the price (a better price to MB ratio)

And, only buy a blu ray drive if you plan on watching or burning them, as (it is debated) disk drives arnt as neccessary as tehy once were, you can do alot digitally. if you need one to just install games, you can get a cheap samsung or LG DVD drive for about $25 on PCCG

Yeah ive decided to go with the 7950 and have changed the PSU and yeah i have a few blurays so i just decided to get the cheapest one :) 
if you had any brand reccemendations for the Graphics card that would be sweet
Edit: so idecided to go to the baracuda 2tb and the asus direct cuII and a 500W thermaltake psu
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:21:57 PM

Tmac48 said:
Yeah ive decided to go with the 7950 and have changed the PSU and yeah i have a few blurays so i just decided to get the cheapest one :) 
if you had any brand reccemendations for the Graphics card that would be sweet

As I said in the edit, go a non reference design, but I would recommend the Sapphire. The ASUS is great too, but $20 more expensive and it is a triple slot card (which doesnt work with all cases and can stuff up any future plans for SLI). Gigabyte would be the other reliable-ish brand there, though with a window in my case I wouldn't like to show off gigabyte because it looks kind of ugly compared to the other two with the blue PCB and copper pipes.

Im getting the Sapphire next week. Its got good reviews and is a reliable company. I would stay away from MSI, some of their performance gains are questionable and for one card they even overvolted it so much Nvidia even intervened and told them to stop. It was too much power for the card to handle and they were unstable.
Never had any experience with powercolor or HIS ec. :) 

EDIT: here is a link to that overvolting article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:32:04 PM

StormOfRazors said:
As I said in the edit, go a non reference design, but I would recommend the Sapphire. The ASUS is great too, but $20 more expensive and it is a triple slot card (which doesnt work with all cases and can stuff up any future plans for SLI). Gigabyte would be the other reliable-ish brand there, though with a window in my case I wouldn't like to show off gigabyte because it looks kind of ugly compared to the other two with the blue PCB and copper pipes.

Im getting the Sapphire next week. Its got good reviews and is a reliable company. I would stay away from MSI, some of their performance gains are questionable and for one card they even overvolted it so much Nvidia even intervened and told them to stop. It was too much power for the card to handle and they were unstable.
Never had any experience with powercolor or HIS ec. :) 

EDIT: here is a link to that overvolting article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

Yeah i might go with the saphire actually it looks nicer and 20 bucks cheaper cant hurt
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:36:42 PM

Best answer selected by tmac48.
m
l
November 14, 2012 11:39:16 PM

Tmac48 said:
Yeah i might go with the saphire actually it looks nicer and 20 bucks cheaper cant hurt

Great, Im glad I could help. Looks like we will both be getting a new system soon, mine definitely needs an upgrade anyway :) 
Good luck with the build!
m
l
November 15, 2012 12:20:34 AM

Which Thermaltake PSU? Some are total trash while others are of top notch quality.
m
l
November 15, 2012 12:53:48 AM

samuelspark said:
Which Thermaltake PSU? Some are total trash while others are of top notch quality.

Thermaltake 500W TR2 Bronze TR-500P
this one any good?
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:51:44 AM

Tmac48 said:
Thermaltake 500W TR2 Bronze TR-500P
this one any good?

That one's pretty nice. You'll be fine.
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:26:02 AM

samuelspark said:
That one's pretty nice. You'll be fine.

Thanks mate :) 
m
l
November 16, 2012 2:30:45 AM

StormOfRazors said:
Great, Im glad I could help. Looks like we will both be getting a new system soon, mine definitely needs an upgrade anyway :) 
Good luck with the build!

Yeah you've been great cheers :) 
m
l
!