Sign in with
Your question

3K for new Gaming Build - How would you build it

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2012 11:34:14 PM

So I have 3K for a new gaming rig and I would like some suggestion on how I should go about building this beast. Couple questions to start off: I5 or I7 CPU? I've been told and read that the i5 3570 is a great CPU for gaming. Also, I'm not sure if it's feasible but I really fancy the GTX 690, but is that complete overkill and it would be a 1/3 of my budget... Any input is greatly appreciated. If you have some sample builds that would be awesome too. I've been using the ultra awesome www.pcpartpicker.com website to try different test builds, but nothing has stood out to me yet. Thanks in advance for your comments.

********UPDATE*********SORRY FOR BEING A NEWB*******************

Approximate Purchase Date: Order Parts no later then 2 week from today

Budget Range: $3,000 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING, Gaming, gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg,amazon,tigerdirect, ect... Best price

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Rest of parts are open discussion

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Either/or.... Love GTX 690, but also like 2 x 7970's or 7990 devil 13( If I could get my hands on one)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or better. Like Eyefinity, but not necessary

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Outdated build, need new one

I will be mostly playing GW2, Diablo III, EVE, but want the PC capable of handling anything I throw at it. I'm constantly look to run into that next game that takes over all the rest of my free time...

More about : gaming build build

a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 12:42:28 AM

If you plan on a gaming on a single 1080p monitor then you would only need to spend about more or less $1000-$1200 since you won['t need a 690 and a 7950 would be best.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 12:45:38 AM

You will have to use the another 1/3 of your budget for a 30" LCD. After you get the 690, you will have a thousand left for the rest, which is plenty. That's a lot of dough, should make for an insane gaming PC.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 12:53:09 AM

Quote:
on the other hand-spending 700 on a 1440 monitor makes sense with 2-7970's (stronger than a 690 easy)-you would want a sniper equivalent Z-77 motherboard-16 gb of ram and a 256 gb SSD-A half X gaming case is good and a 1200 Watt power supply (this allows for upgrades and since you got 3 thousand-why not?Another possibility is 3 1920-1200 monitors for eyefinity and if you do- you might want the 6 gb 7970

You will never use 1200 watts on a gaming rig. Impossible.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:36:29 AM

robthatguyx said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nLUg what i would get if i was going to spend 3k on a rig

$3000 are you give him an asrock extreme 4? That board is for penny pinchers. The H100i is out btw!
m
l
November 15, 2012 10:05:22 AM

djd5733 said:
So I have 3K for a new gaming rig and I would like some suggestion on how I should go about building this beast. Couple questions to start off: I5 or I7 CPU? I've been told and read that the i5 3570 is a great CPU for gaming. Also, I'm not sure if it's feasible but I really fancy the GTX 690, but is that complete overkill and it would be a 1/3 of my budget... Any input is greatly appreciated. If you have some sample builds that would be awesome too. I've been using the ultra awesome www.pcpartpicker.com website to try different test builds, but nothing has stood out to me yet. Thanks in advance for your comments.

have 3k. 1.5 and 1.5 for 2 year this build.
1 pc year 1 = bad year 2
dont be money stuped.
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:28:42 AM

well i have a thing for asrock motherboards as my first real build was based around one. but i certainly have nothing bad to say about asus motherboards especially there rog ones,i plan to use one in my next build.As for the h100i i only used parts i could find in the builder, i would no doubt be spending the extra to get it, but this is as i would build the system others may have different op's. but i would have the cpu at 4.5ghz with a push pull the ssds in raid 0 as boot and main game storage and the hdd as backups and photos ectect, the 7970s lightnings would be as high as i could get them while still being stable
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 12:45:01 PM

I would get:

Proc: i7-3770k proc
Mobo: 1155 Z77 series motherboard (I prefer ASUS, but everyone has their brand)
SSD: (2) 256GB Samsung 840 Pro (setup in RAID0 for your OS/apps- make sure to backup your C:\ often in case of a failure but these are pretty solid)
HDD: 1.5TB WD Caviar Black 7.2k (number/size of drives will depend on how much media you have and what you want to do with it - at least 2 drives(RAID0), as many as 4(RAID5) )
RAM: (2) Corsair XMS3 1600mhz (2X8GB) kits
GPU: EVGA FTW+ GTX680 (newegg sku - N82E16814130794) (1 to start, a 2nd down the road to SLI if you decide you aren't getting the performance you want)
Display: (3) Samsung 27" B350 Monitors (sku - N82E16824001551)

That's more than enough room to pick the case, cooling system and power supply of your choice. That I find is one of the more subjective choices.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 5:40:59 PM

I think it all depends what you're doing. For a gaming rig, I am always going to recommend surround video in landscape because it's what you've conditioned your eyes to view.

I would love to test out the triple/hex monitor w/ integrated stand that Samsung makes - it looks pretty sick but I can't justify the crazy expense.

I personally game on a single screen and have productivity/browsing applications on a 2nd monitor. I may switch to stereo video down the road for a more immersive gaming experience, but for the moment I am content.
m
l
November 15, 2012 7:20:48 PM

it makes better temps for benchmarks and my build would not use eyefinity rather it would have 1 23inch 120hz 2ms response time asus

Quote:
@ 4.5 ghz you don't need push pullI'd rather get that 6 gb 7970 especially if I was gonna go eyefinity

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 15, 2012 8:20:37 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nRdR

Now you have posted more info, I am able to create a build for you:

I've included the 3770K. It's not really necessary for gaming but you have a bit of extra money.
Great motherboard, amazing CPU cooler, 16 GB of RAM (Another extra but you have enough for it.)
Fast HD and SSD
Two 7970 GHz should able to power your monitors for a long time.
Excellent case and PSU
Three 1920 X 1200 IPS monitors

I think this build has everything you need. Let me know what you think.
m
l
November 15, 2012 10:01:40 PM

well i would try for that high but most 3570ks wont go that high without custom watercooling

Quote:
slightly better temps, but 4.5 with decent case-you can benchmark all you want- if you pushed 4.7-then,yes- I got the no longer available copper true heat sink so maybe that affects my judgement

m
l
!