Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2012 9:42:55 PM

I've recently built a new computer almost two months ago, and it worked flawlessly.
As of late, however, i've been having issues with my rig.
Whenever I am playing a video game, my screen will go black, and my computer will restart itself.
The video games i've been playing are World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Oblivion, and it even does this on Sims 3.
I have wiped out all of my drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem persists. Swapping video cards is a last resort as I do not have a replacement card that I can easily use (it is being used already).
Could somebody help please? If I have a faulty video card I will gladly send it in for a fresh card, I just want to make sure this is the issue.

Here are my PC specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 44 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
EVGA EVGA E685 (CPU 1) 32 °C
Graphics
Acer S231HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 44 °C
Hard Drives
932GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

And here is my video card in better detail:

GeForce GTX 570
GPU GF110
Device ID 10DE-1086
Revision A2
Subvendor EVGA (3842)
Series GeForce GTX 500
Current Performance Level Level 2
Current GPU Clock 405 MHz
Current Memory Clock 324 MHz
Current Shader Clock 810 MHz
Voltage 0.913 V
Technology 41 nm
Die Size 520 nm˛
Release Date Dec 07, 2010
DirectX Support 11.0
OpenGL Support 5.0
Bus Interface PCI Express x16
Temperature 39 °C
ForceWare version 306.23
BIOS Version 70.10.58.00.72
ROPs 40
Shaders 512 unified
Memory Type GDDR5
Physical Memory 1279 MB
Virtual Memory 1024 MB
Bus Width 64x5 (320 bit)
Filtering Modes 16x Anisotropic
Noise Level Moderate
Max Power Draw 219 Watts
Count of performance levels : 3
Level 1 - "Default"
GPU Clock 50 MHz
Memory Clock 135 MHz
Shader Clock 101 MHz
Level 2 - "2D Desktop"
GPU Clock 405 MHz
Memory Clock 324 MHz
Shader Clock 810 MHz
Level 3 - "3D Applications"
GPU Clock 797 MHz
Memory Clock 1950 MHz
Shader Clock 1594 MHz
OpenGL
Version 4.2.0
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2
GLU Version 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

These temperatures are with only Firefox and Skype running. I have yet to test if the temperature spikes in game, but I will if it could be the issue. Thanks in advance for any help, I very much so appreciate it.
September 18, 2012 10:58:19 PM

Update: So far I haven't had issues in WoW and i've been playing for about 2 hours.
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2012 11:29:17 PM

PSU?
Related resources
September 18, 2012 11:41:20 PM

rgd1101 said:
PSU?

I get an error saying something like "Display driver has stopped working" though.
Also, it's selective about which games it wants to crash on as well.
Wouldn't it crash while I am on the desktop and such if it were the PSU?
September 18, 2012 11:47:56 PM

akervi said:
I get an error saying something like "Display driver has stopped working" though.
Also, it's selective about which games it wants to crash on as well.
Wouldn't it crash while I am on the desktop and such if it were the PSU?

If your system was drawing to much power ya. The video card is prob a big draw on the PSU.
September 19, 2012 12:16:54 AM

mad2 said:
If your system was drawing to much power ya. The video card is prob a big draw on the PSU.

Wouldn't my system completely shutdown? Whenever this error happens, it just resets. Never fully shuts down.
September 19, 2012 4:27:29 PM

Update 2: I booted up Sims 3 when I got home from class, and noticed this very high pitched whining noise while it was loading. After a quick Google search, i've realized this is the power supply.
September 19, 2012 6:19:37 PM

Update 3: I used a temperature monitoring program to test the heat as I played through a heavily graphic modded Skyrim.
My GPU reached 69 degrees Celsius.
September 22, 2012 2:42:40 AM

Update 4: It appears nobody is willing to help me, i'm going to continue to update this thread in order to keep up with the issue myself and in case anybody in the future runs into the same problems.

I have ruled out overheating issues to the hardware as my hardware is running pretty stable and at a relatively decent temperature.

I have ruled out driver issues as I have wiped and reinstalled my drivers for my video card several times.

I have ruled out it being a Direct X issue as I am up to date with Direct X.

The only solutions I have obtained from friends are the following:
My video card is not seated properly.
I need to fresh install my operating system.
One of my RAM sticks is no seated properly or is broken.

Edit: The issue has not been happening on WoW so far.
September 22, 2012 4:04:28 PM

akervi said:
Update 4: It appears nobody is willing to help me, i'm going to continue to update this thread in order to keep up with the issue myself and in case anybody in the future runs into the same problems.

I have ruled out overheating issues to the hardware as my hardware is running pretty stable and at a relatively decent temperature.

I have ruled out driver issues as I have wiped and reinstalled my drivers for my video card several times.

I have ruled out it being a Direct X issue as I am up to date with Direct X.

The only solutions I have obtained from friends are the following:
My video card is not seated properly.
I need to fresh install my operating system.
One of my RAM sticks is no seated properly or is broken.

Edit: The issue has not been happening on WoW so far.

generally the thing drawing the most power will end up quitting first. and since it says that the driver is recovering, it leads me to believe that it is drawing too much power, causing the driver to fail, then when the game is off, the load on the gpu is much much lower so it has no problem and the driver recovers.

just get a 600+ watt psu, corsair is my fave
September 22, 2012 7:48:42 PM

mad2 said:
generally the thing drawing the most power will end up quitting first. and since it says that the driver is recovering, it leads me to believe that it is drawing too much power, causing the driver to fail, then when the game is off, the load on the gpu is much much lower so it has no problem and the driver recovers.

just get a 600+ watt psu, corsair is my fave

I have a Rosewill Capstone Series 650W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply PSU.
September 23, 2012 1:50:34 AM

Update 5: I have run MemTest on my computer. It came back with an error.
I pulled out all of my RAM and tested it stick by stick, all the sticks came up clean.
I reinstalled all four sticks of RAM and ran MemTest once more.
No errors came up.
I will test out some games to see if the crashes are occurring still.
I may have had my RAM seated improperly.
September 26, 2012 5:53:06 PM

Update 6: The error is still occurring. I guess I have to find help elsewhere as this forum has now become just a log of my attempts to fix it.
I'll keep it updated for any other unfortunate person who may run into the same issue. I would hate for another person to have these issues without receiving ANY help whatsoever.
November 1, 2012 9:29:31 PM

akervi said:
Update 6: The error is still occurring. I guess I have to find help elsewhere as this forum has now become just a log of my attempts to fix it.
I'll keep it updated for any other unfortunate person who may run into the same issue. I would hate for another person to have these issues without receiving ANY help whatsoever.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm running into the exact same problem. Screen goes black, pc reboots. Getting graphics errors in a few games, but GPU temperature is low (40-50 degrees celcius). Geforce gtx 570, drivers up-to-date, 750w PSU.

Thanks for keeping the thread updated as much as you did though :) 
November 1, 2012 9:59:20 PM

My first thought was, "Maybe he has a cheap power supply?" The GTX 570 is a very power hungry card. It needs at least a 550 Watt PSU with 38 amps on the +12 volt rail. I would pay no less than $100 for the PSU when using that card. Also keep in mind that when it comes to power supplies the brand does matter. You can think you're getting a good deal on an off-brand PSU that appears to have the same specs but the truth is that you're not getting anywhere near the same quality. Here's a secret... Good quality PSU's can put out more power than what is listed on their spec sheet. Low quality PSU's struggle to deliver the power listed on the spec sheet. Not only that but low quality PSU's start failing the instant they are pushed. I once bought a cheap 700 watt PSU for $30 on ebay. I thought it had plenty of power for my GTX 460. It had enough amps on the +12 volt rail and the wattage was overkill. I thought I was getting a good deal and saving $70+ but I was wrong and it failed completely within 2 months. If you have a good quality PSU that can provide enough power for everything and you are still having problems running your games then roll back your drivers, reset everything to default clock speeds, look for artifacts, try a different GTX 570 if one is available, reinstall windows, reset the cmos, update your bios. That is a list of things you can try.
November 2, 2012 7:52:46 PM

theonerm2 said:
My first thought was, "Maybe he has a cheap power supply?" The GTX 570 is a very power hungry card. It needs at least a 550 Watt PSU with 38 amps on the +12 volt rail. I would pay no less than $100 for the PSU when using that card. Also keep in mind that when it comes to power supplies the brand does matter. You can think you're getting a good deal on an off-brand PSU that appears to have the same specs but the truth is that you're not getting anywhere near the same quality. Here's a secret... Good quality PSU's can put out more power than what is listed on their spec sheet. Low quality PSU's struggle to deliver the power listed on the spec sheet. Not only that but low quality PSU's start failing the instant they are pushed. I once bought a cheap 700 watt PSU for $30 on ebay. I thought it had plenty of power for my GTX 460. It had enough amps on the +12 volt rail and the wattage was overkill. I thought I was getting a good deal and saving $70+ but I was wrong and it failed completely within 2 months. If you have a good quality PSU that can provide enough power for everything and you are still having problems running your games then roll back your drivers, reset everything to default clock speeds, look for artifacts, try a different GTX 570 if one is available, reinstall windows, reset the cmos, update your bios. That is a list of things you can try.

I've got a feeling you did not read any post I have made in this thread whatsoever.
I have a good PSU, that is not the issue.
I have rolled back my drivers.
And the clock speeds for everything is fine.
Please don't give suggestions I have already tried.
November 3, 2012 3:58:07 PM

I have no suggestions to help you, but if misery loves company then maybe you'll be glad to hear that I've been having a similar issue.

Does the PC shut down, or is your screen just going black?
When this happens to me the screen will go black, but I can still hear sound for a couple of seconds and then that will stop. Almost as if the video event is locking up the PC... not causing a reboot. There have been a couple of times when the video went black and I was able to quickly hit "Windows key, right arrow, enter" to shut down the PC. Most times, however, the keyboard is completely unresponsive after the black screen (unresponsive meaning if I hit numlock the status of the light doesn't change). The PC is still running fans, lights, etc it's just unresponsive. I then have to use the front panel reset button to get my system to shut down and restart.
I'm not sure if that's what is happening to you or if yours is doing an actual reboot.

I've had a couple of times where the screen will go black momentarily but will come back. During those events I get an event log message saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered", but there is no error log event associated with the complete lockups.

The only thing I've found similar about our two systems is that we both have GTX 570's (although diff't vendors) and we have similar (although not identical) monitors.

From your list I see your card is EVGA. Mine is Zotac GTX 570 (Amp edition, which I guess is factory overclocked, so I haven't ruled that out as an issue)
Doubt that it matters much, but your monitor is Acer S231HL, and mine is Acer S232HL abid. I have two of those monitors connected to my GTX 570 w/ DVI cables.

I can get into more detail on the things I've tried, but first I wanted to see if our symptoms are actually similar or not.
November 3, 2012 4:06:04 PM

You most likely have a driver issue. Did you update recently? That may be the cause.
November 3, 2012 4:49:47 PM

Limerick said:
You most likely have a driver issue. Did you update recently? That may be the cause.

I'm still not sure if my issue is the same as the OP's so I don't want to hijack his thread if it's not, but in my case this started back in the summer time.
I also suspected something to do with drivers at first, but by now I don't think that's it. I was on a 304 driver at the time (maybe 304.48 or 304.79). Since then I've tried going back to old drivers and also upgraded to 306.23, 306.97, and 310.33. When I change my drivers I'm using the most meticulous process I can come up with (uninstall from Add/Remove programs, reboot in between each step of removal, remove the nvidia extraction directory, then install new driver). I've also completely reloaded windows more times than I can stand.
November 10, 2012 4:17:54 PM

CopaMundial said:
I have no suggestions to help you, but if misery loves company then maybe you'll be glad to hear that I've been having a similar issue.

Does the PC shut down, or is your screen just going black?
When this happens to me the screen will go black, but I can still hear sound for a couple of seconds and then that will stop. Almost as if the video event is locking up the PC... not causing a reboot. There have been a couple of times when the video went black and I was able to quickly hit "Windows key, right arrow, enter" to shut down the PC. Most times, however, the keyboard is completely unresponsive after the black screen (unresponsive meaning if I hit numlock the status of the light doesn't change). The PC is still running fans, lights, etc it's just unresponsive. I then have to use the front panel reset button to get my system to shut down and restart.
I'm not sure if that's what is happening to you or if yours is doing an actual reboot.

I've had a couple of times where the screen will go black momentarily but will come back. During those events I get an event log message saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered", but there is no error log event associated with the complete lockups.

The only thing I've found similar about our two systems is that we both have GTX 570's (although diff't vendors) and we have similar (although not identical) monitors.

From your list I see your card is EVGA. Mine is Zotac GTX 570 (Amp edition, which I guess is factory overclocked, so I haven't ruled that out as an issue)
Doubt that it matters much, but your monitor is Acer S231HL, and mine is Acer S232HL abid. I have two of those monitors connected to my GTX 570 w/ DVI cables.

I can get into more detail on the things I've tried, but first I wanted to see if our symptoms are actually similar or not.

It depends on the game I am playing. Sometimes it will black screen and restart itself, sometimes it hangs up at a pink/yellow/black screen and just stay there until I reset it by turning it off manually.
I doubt that the monitor would cause an issue with the PC itself, but it could possibly be a video card problem.
I am still having the issue but only with select games.
November 10, 2012 4:18:57 PM

Limerick said:

I have rolled back and tried beta drivers several times.
The issue still persists.
November 23, 2012 8:22:43 PM

akervi said:

Oh! my God i had the exact same problem with the same video card!! T.T dont know what to do
November 27, 2012 11:17:44 PM

Problem fixed just remove the newest driver and use this 301.42> worked for me
November 30, 2012 1:02:11 AM

please check your ram for faults
December 1, 2012 12:01:20 PM

Ive the same problem i think,going to try that driver,cheers!
Anonymous
December 3, 2012 12:12:40 PM

akathepig said:
Ive the same problem i think,going to try that driver,cheers!

i had the same issue with world of warcraft on a gtx 570 twin frozer. driver resetting and so on. i solved the problem by just raising the cardvoltage from 0,988 (standard) to 1.000 V. The twin frozer is an overclocked card and might have failed due to the low voltage.

Maybe this helps you to...
December 25, 2012 3:51:57 AM

Update: I've put the video card in a separate rig, and that computer too started having the same issues.
I took that computer's video card and put it in my computer, and had no issues.
I have sent the card into EVGA for a replacement.
I will update again if that fixed the issue.
January 6, 2013 11:14:55 AM

Your video card is overclocked by manufacturer

All you were need to do is lower core clock to 732 default VGPU 1.000 for 570gtx
and voltage on video card with evga precision

i have same problem with gigabyte 570 oc it die sometime with pink/yellow/green/gray screen :fou: 

never buy video cards overclocked by manufacturer
March 30, 2013 12:59:27 AM

Gigabye said:
Your video card is overclocked by manufacturer

All you were need to do is lower core clock to 732 default VGPU 1.000 for 570gtx
and voltage on video card with evga precision

i have same problem with gigabyte 570 oc it die sometime with pink/yellow/green/gray screen :fou: 

never buy video cards overclocked by manufacturer

i had sinilar problem on display when realistic viewing turned on display in 3ds max.
computer turned itself down and a message of desktop manager is missing came about and the computer never passed this on its path to turn it self on.

problem solved after cleaning the dust between fan and processor!

it went on working as if nothing ever happened!
April 2, 2013 7:06:18 AM

thanks fellas for your help,,,,,lost my log in details ,,so first chance ive had to read or reply.
!