Games slow down shortly after loading up

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Computer
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2012 9:50:07 PM

Let me start with my problem. About 5-10 minutes into playing a game(any game) or web chatting, my computer gets gradually slower and my speakers/headset starts to crackle. As time goes on, it gets worse and worse and worse. Eventually, my computer comes to a crawl and then it's like everything is frame-by-frame all while the audio crackles. Once I exit the game/skype/oovoo, my computer continues to behave like this for about 5-10 minutes longer before returning to normal.

This began when my side case fan(one I have setup to help cool the GPU) got hooked on the grating on the side of the case. My computer was behaving as I have described and that is when I saw the fan was stuck. I fixed the fan, but it has behaved this way ever since.

Since the first time I had issues, I have monitored my GPU and CPU temps. CPU does not exceed about 60C and the GPU hits 83C under load. I'm wondering if it did overheat when the fan stopped working and, if it did, could it have caused lasting damage? If it did cause damage, how could I go about confirming it?

My specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad Core (3.4GHz)
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Western Digital 1TB HDD
12GB RAM

More about : games slow shortly loading

September 18, 2012 9:53:50 PM

PSU info??
m
l
September 18, 2012 9:58:26 PM