Can I Use Gaming GPU for Video Work/Film-Making?

FRIDGE13

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: October-November BUDGET RANGE: 0-600ish$ (prefeferably less)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video production and everything that goes along with that, some light general use, and nothing else is important to me.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: New build but going with Corsair TX750.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (CPU) Intel i7 3770k, (Mobo) P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT, (RAM) G. SKILL Ares DDR3 1600 16GB (2x8GB).

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: None.

PARTS PREFERENCES: None.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. (if sensible) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe. (if sensible)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Full HD 1920x1080p.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need this PC for competitive film-making and video production. I'm interested in performance and value and I am curious if I can purchase a gaming GPU and use it for video production i.e. editing, rendering, 3d modeling, etc.

(1)Not sure what to go for exactly. I'd like to use the HD 7970 (384 bit) or would I need the Firepro V5900/V5700 (both 256 bit) it/them being (a) professional video card(s)?

(2)Of course I've heard that a NVIDIA card is the better more "versatile" choice for video work. Is that true? Their video cards are expensive Could I get a GTX or would it have to be a Quadro it being a professional video card?

(3)Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thank you.