Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$2500 Build Thoughts?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 15, 2012 12:50:08 AM

Just wanted to see what others thought. I won't be purchasing for a while, so may (and probably will, can anyone say AMD 8000 series? :D ) change by the time I get it. Gaming oriented, this thing should perform noticeably. May add a LED strip or cold cathode kit to spice it up a little. Going to set up a push/pull setup on that H100i (couldn't find it on pcpartpicker).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($229.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($424.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($424.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($195.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Other: KOSS SB45 Headset ($31.99)
Other: RAZER Goliathus Gaming Mouse Mat ($14.99)
Other: NZXT FN-140RB 140mm Case Fan ($26.38)
Other: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Twin Pack ($29.99)
Total: $2600.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-14 21:47 EST-0500)

More about : 2500 build thoughts

November 15, 2012 1:01:39 AM

Do you plan on gaming on a tri monitor set up? If not, 2 7970 would be overkill. A single 7950 could max most games now.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:12:36 AM

I plan on a single monitor. I know the capabilities of the 7970, and really if you can get 2, why not? :D  The performance difference in some games is usually 60fps more. I may bump it up $200 for a nice 120hz monitor. OR when the purchase date comes close I might drop the 1 7970 and go with the better monitor. This would only be a $60 difference in total price.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 1:12:48 AM

Don't bother with the H100. If you really want water cooling, get the real thing - a custom water loop. You're paying a lot for performance that's matched with cheaper high-end air coolers.

As cutebeans said, Crossfire 7970GHz is wasted on your monitor choice. If you don't want a 3-way Eyefinity setup, get at least a 120Hz monitor like the BenQ.

Also, the Sapphire Vapor-X is about the same price as that XFX if you don't count rebates, and the former has a much better custom cooler.

You don't need a Caviar Black as well for a storage drive since you already have the SSD, a 256gb capacity to boot. You can get away with a Blue or even a 2TB Green.

PSU is overkill and overpriced.
Nothing beats this - very cheap, great quality from a top brand/manufacturer, and actual specs are higher than what it advertises.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U29C40/?tag=pcpapi-20
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:16:16 AM

I may go with that Vapor-X. I like XFX however for their lifetime warranty and frankly, they look bad ass :p  As I mentioned in the previous post, I may drop the 2nd 7970 and go with a good 120hz monitor. That monitor happens to be the BenQ XL2420T. For the water cooling, I don't know ANYTHING or really have the urge to get a custom loop. The H100i that just came out seems to be much better than the original H100. Better, quieter fans as well as better tubes. I have heard nice things with that PSU, may change to that. The only thing I am currently not liking is the fact it is non-modular. With my Switch 810, that huge side window won't make that mess of wire look nice. What PSU would you suggest that is modular and has 80+ Silver or better rating?
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:36:01 AM

Poltregeist said:
I may go with that Vapor-X. I like XFX however for their lifetime warranty and frankly, they look bad ass :p  As I mentioned in the previous post, I may drop the 2nd 7970 and go with a good 120hz monitor. That monitor happens to be the BenQ XL2420T. For the water cooling, I don't know ANYTHING or really have the urge to get a custom loop. The H100i that just came out seems to be much better than the original H100. Better, quieter fans as well as better tubes. I have heard nice things with that PSU, may change to that.



An excellent build the H100i is perfect, do not listen to all these guys telling you to get a custom loop instead as they do not know what they are talking about. The H100i will out perform any air cooler and should not be compared to a WC loop in the first place. I still do not understand why someone would want a 3 pound massive aircooler covering up half their board. My H100 keeps my i5 2500k 5.0Ghz temps at load 78c, try doing that with an NH D-14. A custom loop isnt for a novice user it require maintenance and there a greater chance of a catasrophic failure, bad o rings, fittings.

XSPC has kits that are excellent but only if your gunning for the highest overclocks possible.

m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:39:49 AM

You won't notice any difference with getting a 2nd 7970 if you plan to go single monitor.

I would go with Air Cooling, I don't really like water cooling now.

XFX has shoddy reputation with their RMA. I would advice against it. Also, your motherboard and as excella has already ready pointed out, your PSU is too overkill.

m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:42:11 AM

redeemer said:
An excellent build the H100i is perfect, do not listen to all these guys telling you to get a custom loop instead as they do not know what they are talking about. The H100i will out perform any air cooler and should not be compared to a WC loop in the first place. I still do not understand why someone would want a 3 pound massive aircooler covering up half their board. My H100 keeps my i5 2500k 5.0Ghz temps at load 78c, try doing that with an NH D-14. A custom loop isnt for a novice user it require maintenance and there a greater chance of a catasrophic failure, bad o rings, fittings.

XSPC has kits that are excellent but only if your gunning for the highest overclocks possible.


I think they were referencing the original H100, which had loud and inefficient fans. Is you H100 in a push/pull or do you just have the stock fans?
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:43:06 AM

cutebeans said:
You won't notice any difference with getting a 2nd 7970 if you plan to go single monitor.

I would go with Air Cooling, I don't really like water cooling now.

XFX has shoddy reputation with their RMA. I would advice against it. Also, your motherboard and as excella has already ready pointed out, your PSU is too overkill.


Yeah. I dropped the 2nd 7970 and switched to that Vapor-X. I still need a good PSU suggestion. It should be also able to handle a high CPU overclock plz.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:45:23 AM

redeemer said:
An excellent build the H100i is perfect, do not listen to all these guys telling you to get a custom loop instead as they do not know what they are talking about. The H100i will out perform any air cooler and should not be compared to a WC loop in the first place. I still do not understand why someone would want a 3 pound massive aircooler covering up half their board. My H100 keeps my i5 2500k 5.0Ghz temps at load 78c, try doing that with an NH D-14. A custom loop isnt for a novice user it require maintenance and there a greater chance of a catasrophic failure, bad o rings, fittings.

Funny, the guy who claims something to be perfect despite the H100i only being released a few days ago and has no reviews whatsoever would have the nerve to tell people that they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, if you looked at my post carefully, I said "H100" - implying I didn't notice he was considering the H100i.

Regarding your claims about the H100 keeping a 2500K @ 5.0GHz, proof or it never happened. Thanks.


And about not understanding why someone would want a massive cooler capable of matching the temp performance of a mediocre closed loop water cooler that has a higher chance of destroying components if ever it breaks? Also,the fact that you don't really stare at components when using the computer? Oh, I dunno.

Lastly, even a closed water loop is not advisable for "novice" users.

EDIT: Here's more candy for the eyes to read.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/5054
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=266...
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=266...

Even the Anandtech H100 review shows just how close the Silver Arrow does against the H100.
Basically if you really want a closed-loop water cooler, the H100 is the only "viable" option to go. I don't find it worth the extra cost and risks though.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:51:33 AM

excella1221 said:
Funny, the guy who claims something to be perfect despite the H100i only being released a few days ago and has no reviews whatsoever would have the nerve to tell people that they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, if you looked at my post carefully, I said "H100" - implying I didn't notice he was considering the H100i.

Regarding your claims about the H100 keeping a 2500K @ 5.0GHz, proof or it never happened. Thanks.


Agreed.

Get a CorsairHX650. It would be more than enough for a single 7970 even with OCs.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:58:22 AM

excella1221 said:
Funny, the guy who claims something to be perfect despite the H100i only being released a few days ago and has no reviews whatsoever would have the nerve to tell people that they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, if you looked at my post carefully, I said "H100" - implying I didn't notice he was considering the H100i.

Regarding your claims about the H100 keeping a 2500K @ 5.0GHz, proof or it never happened. Thanks.

And about not understanding why someone would want a massive cooler capable of matching the temp performance of a mediocre closed loop water cooler that has a higher chance of destroying components if ever it breaks? Also,the fact that you don't really stare at components when using the computer? Oh, I dunno.

Lastly, even a closed water loop is not advisable for "novice" users.


I was thinking of a Phanteks PC-TH14PE but not sure if it will fit. I have found reviews where the Switch 810 fit standard 160mm coolers, yet that Phanteks is 171mm. Another question I had was if a third fan would be able to fit without interfering with the rear exaust. I would otherwise go with the Silver Arrow but ig snt on Newegg, and unless someone can convince me it is godly then I don't want to have to I put mh credit card info on another site. Noctuas are just too ugly...
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:59:51 AM

cutebeans said:
Agreed.

Get a CorsairHX650. It would be more than enough for a single 7970 even with OCs.


I'm guessing that a HX750 will work too? Not much more and a little more room in case I go triple monitor in the future and require crossfire.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:18:10 AM

Poltregeist said:
I'm guessing that a HX750 will work too? Not much more and a little more room in case I go triple monitor in the future and require crossfire.


Sure go ahead.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:27:43 AM

excella1221 said:
Check this review and you'll see how the Silver Arrow fairs against the Corsair H100 and H80.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/5054


I think I will stick with the H100i. Just going by the results of the original H100, not even taking into consideration the improvements or that I will be doing a push/pull.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:28:39 AM

Alright then. :) 
I would wait for the reviews and bechmarks first though.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:33:52 AM

excella1221 said:
Alright then. :) 
I would wait for the reviews and bechmarks first though.


Won't be buying for a while, so have plenty of time for that. I have seen a few reviews already, and they are mostly all positive. What are your thoughts on the Z77 Sabertooth? I know that my current mobo is very well adequate.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:42:00 AM

What reviews...? No one's finished(or maybe even started) a review for the H100i yet.

Sabertooth is an overpriced gimmick. It's basically that PRO board in your list minus the thermal armor that ironically adds more to the overall heat.

Also, I dunno why you couldn't find it on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:49:22 AM

Asrock is the best!!
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 2:54:45 AM

excella1221 said:
What reviews...? No one's finished(or maybe even started) a review for the H100i yet.

Sabertooth is an overpriced gimmick. It's basically that PRO board in your list minus the thermal armor that ironically adds more to the overall heat.

Also, I dunno why you couldn't find it on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I found it on Newegg very easily, just not pcpartpicker. And as for the saberrooth, that is what I have been hearing. Just wanted a separate opinion. Just to say, I guess I havent found a complete review, but a few unboxing videos for the H100i. They kind of act like mini reviews, minus benchmarks and such.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 3:08:18 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($444.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($444.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.04 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2235.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-15 00:04 EST-0500)

In theory the H100i should perform a lot better than the old H100 due to how much water is going though the tube and how fast it is going through.

for my build add this
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Editio...
for a push n pull.

if wanting to go to a 3 way SLI in the future i suggest going real water cooling since a all in one like H100 will not cut it. you will also need more power too.

as for sabertooth, the thermal armor keeps the heat inside instead of cooling it. sure it gives a 5 year warranty but you can get a much better Mobo for lower
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 9:44:03 AM

boulbox said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($444.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($444.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.04 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2235.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-15 00:04 EST-0500)

In theory the H100i should perform a lot better than the old H100 due to how much water is going though the tube and how fast it is going through.

for my build add this
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Editio...
for a push n pull.

if wanting to go to a 3 way SLI in the future i suggest going real water cooling since a all in one like H100 will not cut it. you will also need more power too.

as for sabertooth, the thermal armor keeps the heat inside instead of cooling it. sure it gives a 5 year warranty but you can get a much better Mobo for lower


Looks like a decent build. Not exactly suited for me though. Like Exella said, with a single monitor you won't notice the difference that crossfireing a 7970 will have with a single unit. Even though technically it is 30fps higher, your eye won't distinguish it. As for the PSU, I trust Corsair a bit more. And the AX850 I am going to get from them is fully modular, and gold certified. I really don't trust that 1Tb for only $50, anyway Western Digital is much more reliable and I will get 3TB storage. The Storm Stryker is nice, but the fan setup is a bit odd. The current build I have set up is just dandy, thanks for the thought though!
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 1:19:07 PM

Poltregeist said:
Looks like a decent build. Not exactly suited for me though. Like Exella said, with a single monitor you won't notice the difference that crossfireing a 7970 will have with a single unit. Even though technically it is 30fps higher, your eye won't distinguish it. As for the PSU, I trust Corsair a bit more. And the AX850 I am going to get from them is fully modular, and gold certified. I really don't trust that 1Tb for only $50, anyway Western Digital is much more reliable and I will get 3TB storage. The Storm Stryker is nice, but the fan setup is a bit odd. The current build I have set up is just dandy, thanks for the thought though!


the seagate is pretty good, as long as you dont do anything stupid like drop it, it will work fine. the monitor i put inside is a 120Hz monitor and a few games dont always jump that high without Vsync or something of that sort.

WD is a reputably better brand than seagate but its prices has been a bit high for the same performance from Seagate.

as for the AX850 the only difference between that and XFX850 is gold and fully modular, they use the same OEM and pretty much perform the same. AX850 won't really pay for itself compared to the XFX850 because it is about 2% difference for power efficiency

AX850 may be fully modular but XFX is Semi, it will have the cables that you will need to start up the computer like 24 pin and 8pin.

Also im not really a fan of the AX series, HX series is pretty much the same
m
0
l
!