Sign in with
Your question

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2012 10:48:39 PM

So basically my old GPU has recently died. I have purchased a new one (AMD Radeon HD 7770 DDR5) and I new power supple (520 Watts). I have been getting this error ever since I purchased my GPU. I have never got this error with my old GPU and I am not sure what the issue is. I have done some research and found that it could be my CPU. I have an (AMD Athlon II X3 425 Triple Core). If it helps my old GPU was an (ATI Radeon HD 4650). I have tried doing a clean driver install and that didn't work. Any suggestions? :??: 

Why do I want this fixed?
It has crashed once on me while I was playing (League of Legends) and crashing ALL THE TIME when I am playing (Arma 2, DayZ). I would love to be able to play without this stupid crashing consistently happening to me. Any help is appreciated.
September 18, 2012 10:59:08 PM

What are the rest of the system specifications?

I'm guessing you have a Dynex power supply?

How often is "ALL THE TIME"? Is it like during a game or just during nothing?
Related resources
September 18, 2012 11:17:58 PM

I suppose you don't have any way of testing the graphics card in another computer?

Dynex power supplies suck, but even the one I have ran a 8800GTX for awhile.
September 18, 2012 11:20:36 PM

I do have other computers but neither of them would work because the one is one of those mini acer computers and the other is like 10 years old and out dated.
September 18, 2012 11:26:51 PM

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with the FX-4100, as there are better processors for the price. Don't think it would work in the computer either.

Also check the temperatures of the computer.
September 18, 2012 11:26:58 PM

It's a common issue that plagues both nvidia and amd cards.

Usually a fresh windows install will fix your issue. Good luck.
September 18, 2012 11:29:25 PM

What would you suggest for processors?

My GPU gets to about 40 when playing DayZ and idles at about 27.
September 18, 2012 11:41:45 PM

Depends on the budget.

And that's not hot at all. It could may as well be a power supply issue, but I have seen people put a much higher load on the Dynex and get away with it.
September 18, 2012 11:42:26 PM

What does your processor have to do with your display error?? Your barking up the wrong tree my friend.
September 19, 2012 12:14:20 AM

Wouldn't having a bad CPU effect your GPU or your drivers in some way? And I was having the same issue with my old power supply and that was the whole reason I replaced it.
September 19, 2012 12:18:43 AM

Not exactly. Sometimes its a corrupt registry or a bad stick of memory.
September 19, 2012 12:22:30 AM

There's a bout a 1 in 1000 chance your cpu is bad. Usually when a cpu fails, it won't post. It doesn't give you display driver issues.
September 19, 2012 12:24:51 AM

So I am assuming I should try reseating my RAM?
And what about a corrupt registry?
September 19, 2012 12:32:28 AM

You can try that, or anything else you think might fix it.

I already told you the best way to fix the problem. I've had the same problem on a 9800GT, HD4850 and HD5850 with XP and Vista.
September 19, 2012 1:41:33 AM

Fresh Windows Install. Ok, I will try that soon. Do I just reset it to manufacturer settings then?
September 19, 2012 3:39:15 AM

Reset what to manufacturer settings?
September 19, 2012 4:31:18 AM

jwc17 said:
So basically my old GPU has recently died. I have purchased a new one (AMD Radeon HD 7770 DDR5) and I new power supple (520 Watts). I have been getting this error ever since I purchased my GPU. I have never got this error with my old GPU and I am not sure what the issue is. I have done some research and found that it could be my CPU. I have an (AMD Athlon II X3 425 Triple Core). If it helps my old GPU was an (ATI Radeon HD 4650). I have tried doing a clean driver install and that didn't work. Any suggestions? :??: 

Why do I want this fixed?
It has crashed once on me while I was playing (League of Legends) and crashing ALL THE TIME when I am playing (Arma 2, DayZ). I would love to be able to play without this stupid crashing consistently happening to me. Any help is appreciated.

The hardware needs to be configured properly
turn off all security anti virus and firewall
set the bios to boot the CD / DVD first
put the win 7 disk in the drive
start the computer
select upgrade
this reloads the OS without erasing your personal files or programs.
This reconfigures the new hardware / processor.
restart the system
Erase the current driver
restart the system
load a fresh driver
restart the system
turn the security and firewall back on

You are running the configuration of the old video card.

September 19, 2012 3:36:01 PM

Let us know if that works.
September 19, 2012 4:37:43 PM

It usually does.
The system does not actually configure all the hardware and the processor until the OS is loaded.
By reloading OS, you can fix a lot of conflicts, and it's not hard to do.

Also after you reload the OS do this:
Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...
!