Sign in with
Your question

How to interconnect a modem and a switch...

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Switch
  • Modem
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 4, 2011 3:06:45 AM

hey i want to setup a temporary lan for gaming purposes in my school for a event but my school has only a free 8-port switch but i need to connect 10 pcs together i have a dlink modem but its kinda old its a dsl-2640t it has 4 Ethernet ports on the back and if pcs are connect to that they can detect each other.... can i brige the modem and the switch together ... cos the it guy at my school said we cant... but i didn't believe him .. he dosnt know much... just follows instructions from the net... pls help

More about : interconnect modem switch

November 4, 2011 4:50:41 PM

You should be able to just run one line from the switch to a port on the old modem, and then connect devices to the switch and modem and everything should be able to see each other.

The modem will basically just be acting as a dhcp server/switch rather then a modem at that point, but it should work just fine.
m
l
November 5, 2011 4:50:41 AM

do i have to switch off dhcp and make the old modem a slave ??? or just connecting them will do ???????
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 10:47:27 AM

You would need the dhcp function of the modem to assign ip's to everything, so leave it on. I'm not sure what you mean by making it a slave.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:31:05 PM

make it a salve in the sense switch off dhcp.. and let the switch assign ips to the pcs... but its ok now.... cos they let us have the 24 port switch and use it ;]
m
l
!