Sign in with
Your question

New modem and wifi router?

Last response: in Networking
November 4, 2011 3:43:11 AM

I'm moving into an apartment around the end of November. I am looking for a good modem/wifi router either an all in one unit or individual units doesn't matter..
i will have a desktop computer, PS3, 2 iphone4s's, 1 ipad2, and a kindle-fire..
budget is $100-$200

i found these on amazon so far..
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG658...
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme...

More about : modem wifi router

November 5, 2011 3:48:13 PM

If you are comfortable flashing the routers then i would highly recommend Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with DD-WRT firmware, and your golden. My router has been running for more than a year without a reboot. BUT its not an N or gigabit router.

Since you are willing to spend over a $100 on a router perhaps a gigabit N router would suite you well.

see if you can get this router Asus RT-N13U, I have no experience with this router but i've heard alot of good things about this router.
Its about $60 here in Canada, should be even cheaper in states.

m
l
November 5, 2011 3:49:54 PM

Ok now that I have read your post again, do you need a modem too? isnt that usually provided by your ISP? if you need to buy your own, then maybe its a good idea to check with your ISP first to see which modems they support.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 12:54:29 AM

yeah they charge like $7 a month for a modem or i can get my own... i want to fine a few that i like then see which ones they support..
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:31:04 PM

kylo said:
yeah they charge like $7 a month for a modem or i can get my own... i want to fine a few that i like then see which ones they support..

$7 eh? i pay abot $1 or $2 for modem rental and when it dies (died twice on me in 3 years) they replace it right away.
m
l
November 8, 2011 10:18:11 AM

Take a look at the Netgear DGN2000, DGN2200, or DGND3300 Modem/Wireless router. I bought the DGN2000 from bestbuy for $120 before two years. The DGND3300 is sold for around $130 online nowadays.
m
l
!