Sign in with
Your question

Confused about pcie 3.0!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2012 1:00:37 AM

Hello im buying a video card which is ATI HD 7750 1GB ddr5 my motherboard is a p5kpl-am epu http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/I [...] KPLAM_EPU/ with bios version 0409

question:
* will i have to update my bios version because HD 7750 is pcie 3.0?
* if im going to update my bios which one will i pick?

i have read some forums that some people had a hard time to install their hd 7750 because of this issue?
*some say that you need to update the bios for pcie 3.0 or edit something in the registry
*some others tell that any pcie slots can support pcie 1.0 - 2.0 - 3.0

please enlighten me!!! :pt1cable:  :o 

thanks!!!

More about : confused pcie

a c 196 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 2:45:25 AM

It should have no issues running in a 2.0 or 1.0 slot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 3:16:27 AM

Unless there is an interoperability quirk, PCIe devices will automatically negotiate the highest speed supported by both PCIe endpoints much like how LAN cards automatically negotiate 10/100/1000Mbps link speed.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 7:24:57 AM

InvalidError said:
Unless there is an interoperability quirk, PCIe devices will automatically negotiate the highest speed supported by both PCIe endpoints much like how LAN cards automatically negotiate 10/100/1000Mbps link speed.

what is this interoperability quirk?? so you recommended me to still buy this video card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 11:14:34 AM

pikaraku said:
what is this interoperability quirk??

A quirk is an unexpected complication.

In principle, just about any PCIe card should work in just about any PCIe slot that meets or exceeds the minimum bandwidth requirement for the application but occasionally, there are combinations that are not meant to be for some random reason.

In principle, any DDR3 RAM should be usable by any DDR3 motherboard and most of the time. Most of the time it does but occasionally there are combinations that cannot be helped for some obscure reason.

Same goes for any "standard" device connected to any other "standard" device using any interconnect standard. Both devices comply to the same standard and in theory should work together but in practice, there is always a slight possibility of running into a quirk of some sort.
m
l
September 19, 2012 12:11:18 PM

ok thank i hope that event will not happen when i buy that ATI HD 7750

btw here are my pc specs
500 w psu
2gb ddr2
1600 x 900 max reso
dual core @2.80 Ghz
mobo p5kp-am epu
m
l
September 19, 2012 9:35:54 PM

My 6870 (PCIe 2.1) does not work in PCI 3.0 slot.
Don't count that things will be compatible.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:57:48 PM

killless said:
My 6870 (PCIe 2.1) does not work in PCI 3.0 slot.
Don't count that things will be compatible.

ok so what video card will i buy now?

the next to my list is a

gtx 550 ti - this is a pcie 2.0 card will this be good at least for my pcie 1.0 slot?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 2:08:01 PM

All PCIe from reputable vendors are certified as standard-compliant and should work in any similarly compliant motherboard using any compliant host controller.

As I said, some combinations of GPU + card layout + motherboard layout + host controller + BIOS + etc. may exhibit quirks.

If any variable changes, it is quite possible that you could buy the same combination of components that someone said doesn't work and it will work for you anyway. Conversely, you could buy the same combination that works for someone else and it might not work for you.

So there is no point in losing much sleep over this. The number of technically valid combinations that end up no-go is likely less than 0.1% of all possible combinations.
m
l
September 22, 2012 7:04:17 AM

InvalidError said:
All PCIe from reputable vendors are certified as standard-compliant and should work in any similarly compliant motherboard using any compliant host controller.

As I said, some combinations of GPU + card layout + motherboard layout + host controller + BIOS + etc. may exhibit quirks.

If any variable changes, it is quite possible that you could buy the same combination of components that someone said doesn't work and it will work for you anyway. Conversely, you could buy the same combination that works for someone else and it might not work for you.

So there is no point in losing much sleep over this. The number of technically valid combinations that end up no-go is likely less than 0.1% of all possible combinations.

thanks i will just bring my cpu unit to the shop to make sure that the video card i will buy will work
m
l
September 27, 2012 3:05:06 PM

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H kinda works. It works with BIOS F8, after we update to BIOS F15 - but at least you can connect to on CPU graphics and reset BIOS to set PCIe to "Gen2" which makes graphic card work again.
m
l
!