HD 6850 Latest Drivers Broke Graphic Card Functionality

Mercer99

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Greetings tomshardware.com,

I'm running a minimalist install of Windows XP SP3 with a newer HD 6850 video card for gaming overclocked at 800mhz from 650mhz (fans and temps nominal). Today I decided to update the drivers to the official ATI 12.8 from version 11.11, which had worked flawlessly for the past 7 months or so. After rebooting my computer and opening firefox and navigating to google, the screen went immediately black, and then starting loading everything extremely slow including click-dragging windows around in explorer (very choppy/slow movement). Basically I lost the functionality of my video card.

Here's what I tried:
-uninstalled new drivers
-booted into safe mode
-cleaned ati display drivers using driver sweeper
-rebooted and installed original 11.11 drivers
-rebooted

After this I experienced the same problem, black screen after opening firefox and losing the functionality of my video card! I am stumped as to how to troubleshoot this issue. Please advice me, your help is greatly appreciated!

cool07ist

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
try to run it at stock speeds and do check temps of your hd 6850 with gpu-z. is it hotter? or if thats not the problem then try installing other previous version of amd drivers like catalyst 12.4. Some latest amd drivers give you a lot of problems, i have msi hd 7770 and updating to latest drivers helped me fix my constant issue of screen crashing and all during sleep mode.