how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
sharing music and movie resources.

What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
WAN port of his router?

If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
itself.

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about share wireless internet neighbors router
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
    > of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
    > attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
    > sharing music and movie resources.
    >
    > What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
    > broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    > signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
    > WAN port of his router?
    >
    > If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
    > now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
    > itself.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal
    you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house. See
    if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.

    To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and then
    connect from the other house just like you do in your own house. that's
    the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do in
    your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services you
    want.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    We did try an initial strength test and it was very weak but we did see
    each other. Just needs a booster as you said so that much is not as
    much of a concern as the network logistics.

    But regarding the network logistics, not sure what you mean by "Just
    connect to his network same way you do in your own." If I understand
    you correctly, you mean that if he is the one providing the wireless
    network, I just need to connect my laptop (or wireless NIC of any sort)
    to his network wirelessly? If that's what you mean, I have several
    computers in my home already connected to my hub (6 to be exact) via
    ethernet so that would not be feasible. I need some way to "pump" his
    internet connection in to my router so I can distribute internet to my
    wired computers as I do now. The best way I can think of is
    wirelessly.

    Is this where a gateway would come in to play? I've seen devices as
    fry's that allows you to wirelessly hook up say an Xbox to a wireless
    lan. You just take a short ethernet cable and hook up the XBox to this
    "device" and you have wireless network. I was hoping I could use
    something like that.

    Joe wrote:
    > tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and
    both
    > > of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses.
    In an
    > > attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to
    mention
    > > sharing music and movie resources.
    > >
    > > What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to
    his
    > > broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    > > signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to
    the
    > > WAN port of his router?
    > >
    > > If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but
    for
    > > now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network
    connection
    > > itself.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal

    > you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house.
    See
    > if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.
    >
    > To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and
    then
    > connect from the other house just like you do in your own house.
    that's
    > the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do
    in
    > your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services
    you
    > want.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > We did try an initial strength test and it was very weak but we did see
    > each other. Just needs a booster as you said so that much is not as
    > much of a concern as the network logistics.
    >
    > But regarding the network logistics, not sure what you mean by "Just
    > connect to his network same way you do in your own." If I understand
    > you correctly, you mean that if he is the one providing the wireless
    > network, I just need to connect my laptop (or wireless NIC of any sort)
    > to his network wirelessly? If that's what you mean, I have several
    > computers in my home already connected to my hub (6 to be exact) via
    > ethernet so that would not be feasible. I need some way to "pump" his
    > internet connection in to my router so I can distribute internet to my
    > wired computers as I do now. The best way I can think of is
    > wirelessly.
    >
    > Is this where a gateway would come in to play? I've seen devices as
    > fry's that allows you to wirelessly hook up say an Xbox to a wireless
    > lan. You just take a short ethernet cable and hook up the XBox to this
    > "device" and you have wireless network. I was hoping I could use
    > something like that.
    >
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >>tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and
    >
    > both
    >
    >>>of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses.
    >
    > In an
    >
    >>>attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to
    >
    > mention
    >
    >>>sharing music and movie resources.
    >>>
    >>>What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to
    >
    > his
    >
    >>>broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    >>>signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>WAN port of his router?
    >>>
    >>>If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but
    >
    > for
    >
    >>>now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network
    >
    > connection
    >
    >>>itself.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >>How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal
    >

    >>you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house.
    >
    > See
    >
    >>if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.
    >>
    >>To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and
    >
    > then
    >
    >>connect from the other house just like you do in your own house.
    >
    > that's
    >
    >>the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do
    >
    > in
    >
    >>your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services
    >
    > you
    >
    >>want.

    Well what you want to do is connect 2 wireless networks to each other,
    but they be seperate. Meaning 2 different subnets on the same network I
    think this would be like. I'm not exactly sure if I'm right though
    because I don't know much if anything how to connect 2 networks together.

    To share the internet you only need one router as I'm sure you know. So,
    to connect to your network I think you could connect a wireless access
    point to his wireless router and then you go through that access point.
    This means using say your wireless router to connect to his and you go
    through your router to get access. you all share the same resources on
    the network. It would look like one network as it really is. what you
    would do is set up your wireless router/access point to get the
    information from his wireless router. Umm, I don't know 100% how though.
    It would be like if your cable modem is connected to your router. So
    your access point is dhcp and gets the info from his wireless router, or
    if you use a router to get the info from him then I think you turn off
    the routing function of yours and make it connect to his like it is just
    a hub/access point.

    if you want 2 seperate networks then i don't know how to do this. like
    his network for his house, yours for yours, but you guys share the same
    internet and can access each other devices like pcs and stuff. but then
    that's the same as being only one network.

    i know for me i have done this in my own house. i had a sonicwall router
    firewall appliance connected to the cable modem. is not wireless. i
    connected my belkin 802.11g wireless router to the hub in my garage.
    everything connected to the wireless device got access to the net etc
    just fine. the belkin router i didn't have to change anything, no
    disable the dhcp server or anything, it just worked fine with no
    changes. for you hopefully it'd be the same. get your wireless
    device/router or access point watever to somehow connect to his wireless
    router. then you just connect through yours to his.

Broadband Routers Wireless Internet Networking