how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router?

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2005 9:01:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
sharing music and movie resources.

What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
WAN port of his router?

If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
itself.

Thanks in advance.
February 28, 2005 10:15:17 PM

tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
> Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
> of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
> attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
> sharing music and movie resources.
>
> What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
> broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
> signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
> WAN port of his router?
>
> If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
> now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
> itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.

How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal
you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house. See
if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.

To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and then
connect from the other house just like you do in your own house. that's
the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do in
your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services you
want.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:07:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

We did try an initial strength test and it was very weak but we did see
each other. Just needs a booster as you said so that much is not as
much of a concern as the network logistics.

But regarding the network logistics, not sure what you mean by "Just
connect to his network same way you do in your own." If I understand
you correctly, you mean that if he is the one providing the wireless
network, I just need to connect my laptop (or wireless NIC of any sort)
to his network wirelessly? If that's what you mean, I have several
computers in my home already connected to my hub (6 to be exact) via
ethernet so that would not be feasible. I need some way to "pump" his
internet connection in to my router so I can distribute internet to my
wired computers as I do now. The best way I can think of is
wirelessly.

Is this where a gateway would come in to play? I've seen devices as
fry's that allows you to wirelessly hook up say an Xbox to a wireless
lan. You just take a short ethernet cable and hook up the XBox to this
"device" and you have wireless network. I was hoping I could use
something like that.

Joe wrote:
> tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and
both
> > of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses.
In an
> > attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to
mention
> > sharing music and movie resources.
> >
> > What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to
his
> > broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
> > signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to
the
> > WAN port of his router?
> >
> > If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but
for
> > now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network
connection
> > itself.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal

> you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house.
See
> if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.
>
> To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and
then
> connect from the other house just like you do in your own house.
that's
> the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do
in
> your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services
you
> want.
March 1, 2005 4:26:06 PM

> [...]

> for
>
>>>now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network
>
> connection
>
>>>itself.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal
>

>>you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house.
>
> See
>
>>if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.
>>
>>To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and
>
> then
>
>>connect from the other house just like you do in your own house.
>
> that's
>
>>the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do
>
> in
>
>>your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services

Well what you want to do is connect 2 wireless networks to each other,
but they be seperate. Meaning 2 different subnets on the same network I
think this would be like. I'm not exactly sure if I'm right though
because I don't know much if anything how to connect 2 networks together.

To share the internet you only need one router as I'm sure you know. So,
to connect to your network I think you could connect a wireless access
point to his wireless router and then you go through that access point.
This means using say your wireless router to connect to his and you go
through your router to get access. you all share the same resources on
the network. It would look like one network as it really is. what you
would do is set up your wireless router/access point to get the
information from his wireless router. Umm, I don't know 100% how though.
It would be like if your cable modem is connected to your router. So
your access point is dhcp and gets the info from his wireless router, or
if you use a router to get the info from him then I think you turn off
the routing function of yours and make it connect to his like it is just
a hub/access point.

if you want 2 seperate networks then i don't know how to do this. like
his network for his house, yours for yours, but you guys share the same
internet and can access each other devices like pcs and stuff. but then
that's the same as being only one network.

i know for me i have done this in my own house. i had a sonicwall router
firewall appliance connected to the cable modem. is not wireless. i
connected my belkin 802.11g wireless router to the hub in my garage.
everything connected to the wireless device got access to the net etc
just fine. the belkin router i didn't have to change anything, no
disable the dhcp server or anything, it just worked fine with no
changes. for you hopefully it'd be the same. get your wireless
device/router or access point watever to somehow connect to his wireless
router. then you just connect through yours to his.