Sign in with
Your question

Restoring a Windows 7 Backup Image to Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 31, 2013 11:35:36 PM

Hi, I'm about to upgrade to Windows 8 and was wondering if there is any way to restore my Windows 7 backup image made using the build in Backup and Restore utility in W7 to Windows 8. If that method doesn't work, is there a better way of keeping my files as I upgrade?

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 12:44:05 AM

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 allows you to keep most programs and files.

Restore:
If you restore the Windows 7 backup that would simply overwrite your Windows 8 installation.

Better way of keeping my files?
If you think there will be complications (probably not) then simply copy all your files to a folder on a separate drive while still in Windows 7 then if they are missing in Windows 8 copy them back.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 12:47:04 AM

Also:
I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 program.

I find the new Windows 8 StartScreen unusable. Start8 effectively bypasses it and creates a Start Menu so it's like using Windows 7.

The Windows 8 StartScreen currently is a failure because very few programs use it. Most programs just kick you back to the regular desktop which ends up making the new StartScreen simply a place for Shortcuts thus creating extra steps to launch programs. Better just to put Shortcuts on the Start Menu, Desktop or Toolbar!

In two years hopefully things have changed.
Related resources
February 1, 2013 1:10:54 AM

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion. I probably will just copy my files onto another drive.
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 2:00:57 AM

photonboy said:
Also:
I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 program.

I find the new Windows 8 StartScreen unusable. Start8 effectively bypasses it and creates a Start Menu so it's like using Windows 7.

The Windows 8 StartScreen currently is a failure because very few programs use it. Most programs just kick you back to the regular desktop which ends up making the new StartScreen simply a place for Shortcuts thus creating extra steps to launch programs. Better just to put Shortcuts on the Start Menu, Desktop or Toolbar!

In two years hopefully things have changed.

I have to agree about the uselessness of the Start Screen. It might have been a good idea if more software directly supported it at launch and is actually good on a mobile phone (which Metro was actually designed for) but a laptop or desktop computer really doesn't fit it.

@OP: Versus doing an image backup, find a program that will simply backup your files and such with a 3rd party program versus the Windows option.
!