Sign in with
Your question

Restoring a Windows 7 Backup Image to Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 31, 2013 11:35:36 PM

Hi, I'm about to upgrade to Windows 8 and was wondering if there is any way to restore my Windows 7 backup image made using the build in Backup and Restore utility in W7 to Windows 8. If that method doesn't work, is there a better way of keeping my files as I upgrade?

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 12:44:05 AM

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 allows you to keep most programs and files.

Restore:
If you restore the Windows 7 backup that would simply overwrite your Windows 8 installation.

Better way of keeping my files?
If you think there will be complications (probably not) then simply copy all your files to a folder on a separate drive while still in Windows 7 then if they are missing in Windows 8 copy them back.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 1, 2013 12:47:04 AM

Also:
I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 program.

I find the new Windows 8 StartScreen unusable. Start8 effectively bypasses it and creates a Start Menu so it's like using Windows 7.

The Windows 8 StartScreen currently is a failure because very few programs use it. Most programs just kick you back to the regular desktop which ends up making the new StartScreen simply a place for Shortcuts thus creating extra steps to launch programs. Better just to put Shortcuts on the Start Menu, Desktop or Toolbar!

In two years hopefully things have changed.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2013 1:10:54 AM

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion. I probably will just copy my files onto another drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 2:00:57 AM

photonboy said:
Also:
I recommend you get Stardock's Start8 program.

I find the new Windows 8 StartScreen unusable. Start8 effectively bypasses it and creates a Start Menu so it's like using Windows 7.

The Windows 8 StartScreen currently is a failure because very few programs use it. Most programs just kick you back to the regular desktop which ends up making the new StartScreen simply a place for Shortcuts thus creating extra steps to launch programs. Better just to put Shortcuts on the Start Menu, Desktop or Toolbar!

In two years hopefully things have changed.

I have to agree about the uselessness of the Start Screen. It might have been a good idea if more software directly supported it at launch and is actually good on a mobile phone (which Metro was actually designed for) but a laptop or desktop computer really doesn't fit it.

@OP: Versus doing an image backup, find a program that will simply backup your files and such with a 3rd party program versus the Windows option.
m
l
!