HELP PLEASE.dad in distress! drivers for my sons gtx 560 wont install

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
CAN ANYONE HELP.... im trying to upgrade my sons computer for his birthday... i have put in a gtx 560 ti gfx card and replaced the psu to a corsair 750w... its all physically installed fine it seems... green lights fans are running etc... but having driver issues... windows 7 is not recognising the gfx card..

tried updating windows as i read this was a solution for some people... no luck... also read that maybe a compatability problem with the motherboard.. its an "Asrock Alive nf4g dvi" (little bit old) but the card fits ok and i the monitor is working through the card... just cant install drivers from disk or from nvidia site... says cant detect hardware... or device is not compatable with windows 7... which it totally is!

please help

Primary Graphics Adapter
This item will switch the PCI Bus scanning order while searching for video
card. It allows you to select the type of Primary VGA in case of multiple
video controllers. The default value of this feature is [PCI]. Configuration
options: [PCI], [Onboard] and [PCI Express].
try setting the bios to pci express as the first video device.
as the mb has onboard nvidia video the onboard and gpu may be fighting each other. i would try first to install the newest nforce 410 mb chipset drivers. then reboot and see if the installer package see the new video card. if is does not try booting inot safe mode...go under device manager and turn off or disable the onboard gpu. if it wont work you may have to toss in or try amd video card. to se if it a video card issue or an old mb issue.

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
yeah already went into into bios and set up pci express as primary vid device.... i will try installing the nforce drivers and do as you said... im just reinstalling windows and updating it all in the hope that that may help... the ati card ran fine before but thats a much older card.... will let you know the results as soon as windows updates... thanks for your help :)

Did you remove the old amd drivers ? Not important anymore since your reinstalling windows but that could have been the problem.

Stupid question maybe but some seem to forget ; did you plug in the power cables ?

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

yeah cleaned out the old ati drivers for the card... and yeah plugged in both 6 pin power plugs... got two green lights on the board... its physically in ok... just driver problems... still waiting for windows to update then will update mb drivers and see if that helps...

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
anyone know how to check if the motherboard is compatable i have googled for this but cant find info.... the gfx card seems fine and is brand new (green lights, fan is working, monitor is working plugged into it etc)

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

asus gtx 560 ti direct cuII 1gb

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

having trouble installing the nvidia 410 drivers for windows... just get fail messages :/

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Update the motherboard bios. You may not have the update that lets your PCIX gen 1 slot accept PCIX gen 2 cards.

EDIT: Just curious, what does the rest of the system look like? A GTX 560 is really crippled by an older AMD X2 system. My guess is the support on old nForce chipsets is pretty bad and that system was made for the very first gen of PCIX cards (7800 GTX & X1800XT) so there may be no hope for it anyways.

I think you'll be better off tossing any little bit of money putting together the rest of the CPU, MOBO, RAM at the very bottom entry level and it will blow that system away still. And still even with that system a GTX 560 would still be bottlenecked, but no where near as much as it is right now.

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

hmm someone else said this maybe the prob... messing with the bios worries me though... is it a relatively simple and safe process... im a bit of a novice.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

It is pretty easy. Your motherboard doesn't have a dual bios so it's not completely worry free but that is a definite thing to try. The last update to the BIOS is in 2007 which is right when PCIX gen 2 came out so it may help.

Here's the link for your bios.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=ALiveNF4G-DVI&o=BIOS

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

yeah i know the system is old i was just hoping to upgrade sequentially...thought a new psu and graphics card was a good place to start... it has 4gb memory and a 2.2ghz amd 64 3500+ processor

i was hoping the mb would except the card until i got the rest upgraded... :(

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

using one of the dvi sockets on the back of the graphics card.

froodles

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
thanks for trying to help everyone.... i guess the mb is just a little bit too old to except the new gfx card.... ive tried everything everyone suggested... put the old ati graphics card back in for now until i can afford to upgrade the rest...

if anyone has any helpful suggestions on what board/processor/memory combination i could get to complement the asus graphics card gtx 460 ti .... im on a very tight budget so a good balance between low price with reasonable quality and high compatibility...

thanks

It should really be compatible. You should not need to spend more money. How do you know windows 7 is not recognizing the card? Have you tried looking at device manager? Which exact windows version do you have? Which exact driver version did you try to install?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

+1, definitely give updating the bios a try before giving up.

i would try to return the gpu and swap it with an ati card. it may be that the onboard nvidia chipset is not letting the new gpu work right. as for a cheap set up a h61 mb and a g500-g800 cpu set up from new egg or micro center would cost you around 100.00 plus the cost of a ram stick. if your son pc case is a standard atx case and has a good power supply in it.
the only other cost would be if he hard drive and cd-rom drive are the old ide drives. most new mb are all sata. a sata dvd rom are 15.00. looking at 50-100 for a sata hd.